Gain 15lbs in like a month! I met my goals daily 99% time!

Options

Replies

• AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    5 Tips for ya

1) See your doctor and get him/her on board :)
    2) Go to Settings -> Diary Settings and make Sodium one of the things you are tracking. Sodium is sneaky and a frequent culprit
    3) Go to My Home -> Goals -> Change Goals / Custom -> Look at the Carb/Protein/Fat percentages. Ask your doctor what they suggest the percentages be - mine suggested 50% Carb - 30% Protein - 20% Fat for a low-fat diet. Your needs will vary. You can change the values here then save.
    4) Exercise -- 30 minute walks, find videos on YouTube/Netflix, whatever -- but it feels good to get strong!!
    5) water water water

Once you've changed your settings, go back through the last week or two and see what if any diet changes you can make... start substituting in some foods that help you meet your goals and you'll feel a change!
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Go back and recalculate your calories.. ... Make sure you go in and readjust as you start to lose.....When you weigh yourself (and take your measurements.. use the same scale in the same location at the same time of day...
    Once a week at the most.....

Go by weight of food (Ounces or Grams) not estimations...... measure everything, unless it is packaged as one serving... What you think it s teaspoon, tablespoon, cup etc is probably over.....
    Change up what you eat from processed to NOT processed.. eat fresh!!!!

If all this fails to bring any results, then seek professional assistance.. good luck!!!

FYI- I am 5'9' and 165 lbs. I started at 200 sedentary and to lose 2lbs a week I was eating 1200 calories.. now I am at 1200-1300 calories and I lose about 1 lb per week.. so always readjust as you go!!!

If I exercise I always underestimate the burn and only eat back some of those calories...
    Take a look at my diary... It is not totally clean, but I do eat protein and limit carbs... it seems to make a difference...
  • thecapaccino
    thecapaccino Posts: 138
    Options
    Ok. The diary is NOT a true reflection.

It may SEEM like I have eaten a lot of "processed" foods. But I live in Vienna, Austria!

There are not a lot of the items listed in the food thingy. So what I do it just get something similar to the foods I eat over here. For example I was able to find "Semmel"...german for Bread Roll.

But mainly, I have to use "substitutes"....or similar items.

I am too lazy to put in Homeade Varieties cause I am no expert. I only use seasoning and IF I use a small spoon of oil.

And I DO AGREE I have too much Carbs....which I tough cause I live with my husband he is prone to be a Vegetarian and swears the eating Meat everyday is unhealthy for the body!.

It was tough not to feel hungry alot on 1700....for weeks!

I felt finally able to even venture into aerobics etc with my energy levels returning.

And yes...I should start my period in 3 days....but I dont remember gaining so much weight before that time.

I will do a combination of seeing the doctor...and maybe TRYING to eat less for a week...so see what happens...but then again I will be on my cycle in 3days....and I am a heavy bleeder which has caused me to be AENEMIC this year.....and I was on high doses of Ferrous Sulfate....pfff...

I do need to cut down on the Ramen noodles...but the ones here in Austria are only 50Calories a small pack!!!! Its like a cup a soup.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Are you checking the nutritional information on the food packages with the values in the database options you are selecting? Some of the calorie counts seem a little low - for example, 2 large eggs are registering as 146 cals, whereas average 'large' eggs by UK supermarket standards contain around 100 cals per egg. I'm not sure where you are from so that may not be relevant. I'd say the same about the sausages too, one fairly standard sausage contains 183 calories.

Make sure the nutritional values you are logging reflects what is actually in what you are eating.

THIS for sure, this database is FULL of mistakes! Interrogate everything!

If something is not on the database then add it, you can build up your own inventory of the things you eat most and then you will be confident that what you are inputting is correct.

Good luck :)
  • MollieErin
    MollieErin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    While my mom was sick with cancer I gained a lot of weight. 80 pounds to be exact. I wasn't taking time to take care of myself properly, but with that said, I also wasn't doing anything too much different either. I went to see my doctor and he said that people have no idea how much stress can wreak havoc on their bodies. he noted weight gain as one of the symptoms. This may be something to consider.
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

It may SEEM like I have eaten a lot of "processed" foods. But I live in Vienna, Austria!

There are not a lot of the items listed in the food thingy. So what I do it just get something similar to the foods I eat over here. For example I was able to find "Semmel"...german for Bread Roll.

I am too lazy to put in Homeade Varieties cause I am no expert. I only use seasoning and IF I use a small spoon of oil.

And I DO AGREE I have too much Carbs....which I tough cause I live with my husband he is prone to be a Vegetarian and swears the eating Meat everyday is unhealthy for the body!.

I felt finally able to even venture into aerobics etc with my energy levels returning.

And yes...I should start my period in 3 days....but I dont remember gaining so much weight before that time.

I will do a combination of seeing the doctor...and maybe TRYING to eat less for a week...so see what happens...but then again I will be on my cycle in 3days....and I am a heavy bleeder which has caused me to be AENEMIC this year.....and I was on high doses of Ferrous Sulfate....pfff...

I do need to cut down on the Ramen noodles...but the ones here in Austria are only 50Calories a small pack!!!! Its like a cup a soup.

I don't want to be a ***** because I understand how frustrating this is. I am struggling with a plateau myself, but I try to accurately measure everything, even adjust and tweak things in the system when I enter them, but all i see in your response is a lot of excuses. If you want to lose weight you HAVE to use the tools at your disposal correctly for BEST results. Do you want to lose weight? Yes? then take the extra minutes to accurately punch in everything.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    from what i can see in your diary, you're not enough the right foods... lean proteins, veggies, fruits, yogurts, nuts, cereals, whole grains, etc etc is where you need to start... you WILL lose weight i promise... i lost 10 pounds and have been on this site for only 26 days... i started eating CLEAN... i have never eaten this much in my life... but i am eating the right things... i only have 1200 cals a day.... if you can have 1700 that is GREAT u will be able to eat SO much food!!!!... but it has to be the right food! NEVER Ramen noodles and sausage etc etc etc ... you can do it! if i can anybody can... also lemon water!!! melts away fat!!!!!!!!!! trust me.. look at my diary and see for yourself what i eat and how often i eat... that another thing, eat 5-6 times a day instead of 3... it works wonders :))) good luck to you!!!!!!

This is great advice.

You can eat some processed food if you enjoy it, just not everyday. I used to love cooked breakfasts everyday also, now I eat cereal and have a cooked breakfast as a treat.
  • lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be wise to be accurate with your logging, i bet you are eating a lot more calories than you think. It's a pain to enter food and recipes to begin with but next time you want to enter the same food it'll already be there in your recipes. Make sure you check labels and weigh accurately.

I would try dropping you calories a bit for a while and see if it works, but of course if you feel you are doing everything right and this continues you should visit you GP.

Good luck :smile:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    OP you are at your maintenance level hence no weightoss. Maintenance levels are not cut and dried across the board, some females can maintain at 2000 calories per day or more, many maintain at below 1600 (me and many others).

If you are consuming just over 1700 calories per day and not losing, you are at maintenance. You need to start cutting down on the calories, moving about more and getting a good exercise plan in operation. Then the pounds will fall off.
    Lolwut gaining 15 pounds in a month is not maintenance.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    also unless you're eating that toast dry you need to be entering another 100 calories for a TBSP of butter
    You put a whole tablespoon of butter on a piece of toast? That's disgusting.
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My husband is amazed as he knows my portion size...and I wouldnt try to LIE to myself....that wouldnt help.

No one here accused you of lying to yourself. These people merely suggested being more stringent with how you track your food. Weighing your food is far more accurate than measuring food with cups and spoons. For an example from my own life, the Cheerios box lists one serving as one cup / 28 grams. However, one cup gave me 14% more Cheerios than the 28 grams serving or an extra 14 calories. That's just one honest journal inaccuracy that can add up over time. Another common honest journal inaccuracy is forgetting to track an off-the-cuff snack. I used to be very guilty of this one. It's not that you don't want to track it, you just forget to because you cannot track it at the time. Keep a piece of paper to list what you eat on-the-go and then check it and track it each night before you close your diary.

I understand you are really frustrated, and I have been frustrated over much less weight gain. However, if you truly believe your efforts were your best, then please see a doctor. If your best weight loss efforts yielded weight gain, a medical issue could be to blame. Good luck, and please feel free to friend me if I can be of support to you.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    also unless you're eating that toast dry you need to be entering another 100 calories for a TBSP of butter
    You put a whole tablespoon of butter on a piece of toast? That's disgusting.

That's delicious! Bread is only there to stop the butter running down my arm.
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    Ginamarie...I did look at your diary.

You are doing GREAT.

However, I am on here to LOSE WEIGHT AND MORE IMPORTANTLY LIFESTYLE changes.

I used to eat out 6 days a week!! Now I eat IN 6 days a week...cooking FRESH food I buy.

I dont think, or pschology cant get my head around NOT EATING MEALS....people eating 1200calories a day..ok...that IS A DIET.....I want something I can do until I am RETIRED...

and I can see me eating bars, and carrots all day long....

I want my INSIDE as healthy as my OUTSIDE.....

So yes...reducing salt, maybe less carbs and more protein...but some of the diaries on here...I feel the eating habits are more YO-YO than like the french say une REGIME...
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    at ElizabethRoad...again, please CHECK the "serving size" of that item!

Of course I didnt put so much butter...again was lazy and used the first "butter" option....and gauged the calories by revising the "serving size".

pfff...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you may not be eating enough... I know that sounds crazy, but if your body thinks it's starving (whether or not you're hungry) it's going to hold on to everything you take in...

Comments like these just feed into the Starvation mode crapola.................

If this were the case there would be no anorexics in the world.
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions....

But like I said...I take them ALL onboard..

BUt I am looking for a LIEFSTYLE change that doesnt including keeping Weights and Measurements in my handbag!

That is living in prison! That is a fact for me.

I want to have a inner sense of how much things are ....which of course being aware is the first step.

So I should try to note more...but I have the same bowl I use to eat dinners and things should fit (not over run of course) or simple practical methods.

STILL f******g 15lbs in amonth....GIVE ME SOME credit...

EVEN IF I DID GO OVER BY 500 A DAY::::15lbs.....give me a break here.

I am not trying to be skinny ...just internally healthy!...hopefully the rest will take care of itself...
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    but some of the diaries on here...I feel the eating habits are more YO-YO than like the french say une REGIME...

Yes, no one's diary is perfect. However, you are the one asking for advice. Getting defensive won't help you or encourage others to help you.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I don't want to be a ***** because I understand how frustrating this is. I am struggling with a plateau myself, but I try to accurately measure everything, even adjust and tweak things in the system when I enter them, but all i see in your response is a lot of excuses. If you want to lose weight you HAVE to use the tools at your disposal correctly for BEST results. Do you want to lose weight? Yes? then take the extra minutes to accurately punch in everything.

Ditto on this. I don't care if it's a piece of gum or water - if it goes in I log it. I feel like I'd be sabatoging myself not to. And when I eat something - the measuring cups/spoons come out. I'm a vegetarian - and a carb addict - but I do buy whole wheat/whole grains in everything from bread to spaghetti. My husband is a meat eater and is actually trying to gain weight and build lean muscle but we are both trying to eat more lean proteins and veggies (a work in progress) he just eats more of that stuff than I do. It's really a lifestyle change - and it really takes work - but if I can do it - then you can totally do it too. I've been on here for just over a month and have a 10.5lb loss that I attribute to portion control, logging everything, and exercise.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    BUt I am looking for a LIEFSTYLE change that doesnt including keeping Weights and Measurements in my handbag!

Sometimes, you just have to do that.
    At least at first, once you develop an eye for what an amount is, it becomes less important.

That being said, you don't actually have to literally measure everything you eat or drink, you can be clever about it. At home I regularly use the same mug or glass. I know the mug holds 300ml and I know the glass holds a pint (~570ml).

I also know that if I open a 200g pack of something, if I have 1/2 or 1/4 of it I've had 100g or 50g respectively. Even better if it's only me using that product, because then even if I am slightly out, by the time I have finished the pack, my portion estimates have averaged out anyway.

Be creative about these things and its easier. If you really don't want to do these things, that's fine, but then don't wonder why you don't get the results. You can only get out as much as you put in.
  • thecapaccino
    Options
    WREN337...I wish I could add a pic of the pack of Noodles here in Vienna...

Look it up if you want ...here are the details for the 70g pack!!! (I only used the Ramen noodles first on the list and broke it down to the number of calories in the one I use)

Tan-Viet Gmbh
    www.tan-viet.de
    Item Name: Vifon Ente Nudelsuppe
    Scanner number on the back: 8 934561 241843

For 100g the pack says it is 70 calories!! I eat 70g!