Why do vegans eat food products that represent animals?

Options

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    From a broader marketing perspective, vegetarian and vegan meat replacement products are not only for vegetarians and vegans. They are also being marketed to people who eat meat, too, as a healthy alternative and a compassionate choice. By mimicking the meat products that one would find in a meal a consumer finds it easier to use the meat-free product in the place of meat.

For example, Quorn mince looks pretty similar to minced beef. So, consumer A wants to make tacos. Consumer A has the vegetarian choices of tofu, quorn mince or a block of tempeh. Which one looks simplest to turn into tacos?

The real thing is healthy not the fake.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I think a better question is: If Vegans & Veggies care so much about animals, why are they eating their food? ;D

You assume that all of us became so because we care about the animals. Your assumption would be wrong.

It's called a joke... :noway:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I've wondered more why vegans eat things that TASTE like meat. I'm a veg, and I like being able to grill out a boca or morningstar farm burger. But any of that fake crap that not only looks, but tastes like meat grosses me out. Fake chicken is nasty as hell! I've always said if I want to eat something that tastes like real meat, I'll just start eating meat again!

They may actually like meat but don't like the way animals are a product of manufacturing. Or, there could be health reasons for not eating meat, or certain meat. But, they do like it.

I don't really see why it's so difficult to "get".
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a ridiculous question. Ask about real issues, weight control, exercise, or something ... but why vegans eat faux meat that still resembles meat forms?

^^ this ^^
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    First off nothing against vegans or the food as I have best friends that are and I cater to them when they come to visit. So yea I have always thought it funny that hard core Vegans eat foods that look like animals. Like burgers. The whole Morning star brand. Fakin bacon etc. Am I the only one that thinks that's funny?

Looking like an animal is the not the same as it being an animal so not its not funny, its common sense if you want a burger but don't eat meat. I'm sure it also helps with social gatherings if other people are around eating theses types of items and they can join in with their own version of it that didn't come from meat.
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    Novelty(McD's doesthe same with their McRib).It's easy to put a burger shape on a burger-shaped bun. What shape should they be?
    I don't really think it is to "represent" animals so much as it is convenience to use the products with complimentary products like condiments and the like.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    This does seem like kind of a dumb question. Why is any food shaped the way it is? Like, why is a hamburger (usually) round? So it can fit on a bun and you get tasty meat with every bite would be my guess. So why wouldn't a meatless patty be shaped the same way? How should it be shaped? Octagonal?
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan but I do not eat meat. I do not miss hamburgers meat at all. I do not like hamburger and never have. I do however miss having a sandwich to eat in the fashion of a burger. I will eat a portabella mushroom cap or a black bean burger with grilled onions...yummmm.

II like that garden burgers do not taste like meat.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I just have to add that being vegan (for me anyway) isn't a taste based decision- I've never eaten meat but I loved the taste of a lot of dairy products, and i'm happy to eat things that are vegan friendly that do emulate the taste of the 'real' products.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    why do carnivores eat cabbage?
    They don't.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Someone should make meat that looks and tastes like vegetables.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Not all vegans are ethical vegans so that bit doesn't really matter.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Not all vegans are ethical vegans so that bit doesn't really matter.

How is eating a chicken style tofu cutlet (for example) unethical?
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I like the occasional veggie burger because decades ago I used to like burgers. Just because I no longer eat the flesh of dead animals does not mean I dont enjoy what I do have on that bun. It tastes good imo.

I always wonder why so many omni eaters spend so much time worrying about what veg people eat and why. If they are bothered by it, they should not eat a veg diet and go on with their lives. I wish they would get over the need to constantly want us to explain ourselves. Dont like fake meat? Then by all means dont eat it and get over it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This is a stupid question. First of all burgers and bacon don't look like animals. Secondly you're completely missing the point of being vegan. I would eat a food shaped like a human baby if it was tasty, is that unethical?
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Playing devils advocate here but... Technically if a non meat product tastes like a meat product would it not be reasonable to assume that a certain amount of animal death went into that recipe? I mean you woul have to eat at least one turkey before you could make something else taste like it... So isn't it technically an animal byproduct and technically animals were used in the making of said items ?
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I always ate it for
    a) Protein. Beans taste nasty to me, so it was my only source of protein.
    b) Flavor. I still love the flavour of fake meat WAY more than real meat.
    c) Because we can (':

This. I am no longer a vegan and I still enjoy vegan products especially portobello burgers. Yum!
  • lynn_marie68d
    Options
    I always ate it for
    a) Protein. Beans taste nasty to me, so it was my only source of protein.
    b) Flavor. I still love the flavour of fake meat WAY more than real meat.
    c) Because we can (':

Yeah okay 1 & 2 make sence,..but look at the diary. You need to eay more fruits and veggies. Your body needs thr nitrients. You can't starve your body even if your vegiterian or vegan.

Yes I know my roomate is a personal trainer and nitritionist.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    First off nothing against vegans or the food as I have best friends that are and I cater to them when they come to visit. So yea I have always thought it funny that hard core Vegans eat foods that look like animals. Like burgers. The whole Morning star brand. Fakin bacon etc. Am I the only one that thinks that's funny?
    Because eating meat is fabulous, and they really want meat.
    COME AND GET IT!
    24698793_2812.jpg
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Not all vegans eat fake mean products either. Most of them have an ingredient list a mile long and its not something some of us want to even bother with.