Renaissance Faire- Any Guild members (wenches, etc?)

Options
swordsmith
swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
After losing all the weight I have and getting in shape over the last year I treated myself this year to custom leather armor for the local renaissance faire (New York Ren). I have wanted leather armor for like forever but it never looks right on really heavy people (plus it doesnt exactly expand or contract easily!). Last night while assembling and fitting the armor I got thinking about faire and MFP.

So how many rennies are on this site? and what is your home faire? and how has your weight loss journey affected what you are going to do this year?

And do you belong to any guilds (i.e. Wenches Guild, Ren Merc, Rogues Guild, Barbarian, etc) and if so what is your pin number?

I am Ren Merc #2 and my wife (who is on MFP) is Wenches Guild #2

SCAdians and LARPers can also join in! Lets get our geek on! :drinker:

Replies

• lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Oh I have ALWAYS wanted to go to a Ren Faire! I've never been and I don't have any LARP friends either or I would SO be in that scene too. /jealous
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    Ah, I love ren faires. The biggest one near me is in Tuxedo NY, which I think might be the NY ren faire you are referring to. There are sometimes real small ones closer to me like Medfest at Drew University. I have been driving down to Baltimore for FaerieCon the past couple of years too. I just love dressing up and shopping for new clothes! Hopefully MFP will help me want to buy more stuff!
  • peles_fire
    peles_fire Posts: 501
    Options
    years ago used to work the faire in Black Hills, Novato, Ca. Loved it there. Wasn't the same after they sold the land to developers. I have many fond memories from faire and in a few of them I even had my clothes on!!! :bigsmile:
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    If we had any Ren Faire's around here i would SURELY be there!
  • kcpsu18
    kcpsu18 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wish we had Faires and guilds near me. I would LOVE to participate.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I am Thor God of Thunder....oh sorry wrong thread.
  • thunderwoods
    thunderwoods Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have gone to past faires in full knight regalia with my husband. I try to explain to dufus-tourists that yes, there were female knights in the 15th century, basically when the man of the house went to war, the wife was left to guard the castle. Many took to dressing as a knight in order to ward off would-be robbers that might think the place was easy pickings.

My weight loss will bring me to where it is easier to carry 40+lbs of chainmail!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm not a part of any guilds, but have been part of the Kansas City Renaissance Festival since 2003. Huzzah! :drinker:
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I have no clue what you are talking about lol. You seem really into it! I went to one of those fairs when I was a teenager and had a great time. I love that kind of stuff. I would love to go again but noone wants to go with me!
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    Minnesota Ren Faire Checking in ;) I actually HAVEN"T Been yet, but my husband used to work the faire ... He's still got some clothes floating around (albeit too small) from his younger days hehe
  • sofakingawesome69
    Options
    I don't dress up or anything, but I love the Renaissance Festival in MN. I like to watch all the shows and enjoy seeing the people all dressed up. A friend of mine has been working as an actor (paid) there for like 20 years now so I get the scoop on what to do and what not to do. I should start dressing up, but I don't quite have the Warrior body yet.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I got drummed out of the SCA for writing a scurrilous ballad about the king. I've long-since moved to Florida and wouldn't mind hooking up with the local SCAdians here, assuming they're willing to forgive previous actions.
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm not a part of any guilds, but have been part of the Kansas City Renaissance Festival since 2003. Huzzah! :drinker:

We loooooove the KC ren faire!! Can't wait for the next one ;)
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Not a part of any guilds, and not as involved as I'd love to be... Hubby and I were nominal SCAdians years ago (were in a SCAdian wedding of our best friends, which is when I made hubby's garb... sadly don't have that dress of mine anymore), but never got as involved then as I wanted to be, either. Had too many interests and many got short shrift.

I go to Colorado Ren Fest in Larkspur, one of the best in my opinion (but I'm biased). It was a photo of me in my garb from a couple years ago that was part of my decision to lose weight. I just didn't look quite as good as I wanted to. Since then, I've lost about 12 pounds and made a new kirtle (specifically for my hubby's knighthood birthday party) that I proudly wore this year. I want to make another at some point--one that is even more form fitting than the one I made this year.

Blessings to m'lord and his lady.
  • hdsqrl
    Options
    Forgot answer the rest of OP's question - namely, how has weight loss affected your garb. Fortunately for me, all that's involved is sewing the skirt waistband closures a little closer, and lacing up the bodice a little tighter. Bloomers and chemises edges are all either elastic (*gasp*, I know) or drawstring, so no real modifications needed there. It would suck to have to buy all-new armor, yeesh.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Going this year...it's been a couple of years. I like the one in Holly, Michigan. But, as a belly dancer, I perfomed one weekend at the SilverLeaf Renaissance Faire. Hard work!!!!! 5 shows a day, and we had to remain in costume all day. Really tough!!! Love the ren faire. This year, I hope to wear my corset when I go! :bigsmile:
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Forgot answer the rest of OP's question - namely, how has weight loss affected your garb. Fortunately for me, all that's involved is sewing the skirt waistband closures a little closer, and lacing up the bodice a little tighter. Bloomers and chemises edges are all either elastic (*gasp*, I know) or drawstring, so no real modifications needed there. It would suck to have to buy all-new armor, yeesh.

*laugh* Don't feel too bad. Had to use grommets on my new kirtle as I didn't have time to sew the eyelets... Shame shame...
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

I think my WG from NYRF pin is stamped somewhere in the 400's. It's been years since I've gone though. :)

It's been so long ago, that I got the pin before NYRF was purchased and turned into "Disney Faire." This is back when there were more real artisans (like the glass blower, the foundry, and the guy who did the amazing wood working (I think his name was Roy - his stuff was AWESOME!) than there were booths selling factory made overseas headbands and crappy plastic swords... ;)
  • hdsqrl
    Options

*laugh* Don't feel too bad. Had to use gromits on my new kirtle as I didn't have time to sew the eyelets... Shame shame...

Awwwyeah, high five for the use of grommets. I used to do drawstring waists on my bloomers, but seriously? NO ONE sees that waistband, and trying to tie the stupid string while holding up 17 pounds of skirts while being crammed inside a dark portapotty? Elastic for me, thanks. ;)

I was never SCA, though, so I think I get a little bit of a bye on being 100% authentic - for me, it's all about the show and making sure the patrons have a great time every second of the day once they're inside our gates. :flowerforyou:
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options

I think my WG from NYRF pin is stamped somewhere in the 400's. It's been years since I've gone though. :)

It's been so long ago, that I got the pin before NYRF was purchased and turned into "Disney Faire." This is back when there were more real artisans (like the glass blower, the foundry, and the guy who did the amazing wood working (I think his name was Roy - his stuff was AWESOME!) than there were booths selling factory made overseas headbands and crappy plastic swords... ;)

Excellent and I agree on Disney Faire... I miss the mud men, etc that they took out to make it more kid friendly...

And Yesi I worked for Lundegaard Armory there... I cast **** tons of those pins but if you are in the 400s thatmeans you have a pewter pin. We contracted out the casting of the pins around pins 275 or so... so they went from bronze to pewter.