Gain 15lbs in like a month! I met my goals daily 99% time!

Replies

• linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Sounds like a whole lot of excuses, I'm afraid. Your diary reflects very well the mistakes that you are making, and people are taking the time to try and help you - help that you asked for - and you are essentially throwing it back in their faces because it's not what you want to hear.

You are logging food wrong. You are eating foods that aren't good for you. It's that simple. You can justify it all you want, but that's what it comes down to. If you want to believe you have some weird weight gain problem that has nothing to do with the crap you've been eating then fine, I'll leave it up to your GP to tell you to eat right, you probably won't listen to that either.

You have to decide if you really want to lose weight. Because you say you do, but your diary does not reflect that. You make excuses rather then doing it properly. That's the problem here, nothing else.

Exactly what she said. Take the advice you were given, or leave it. Start losing weight or continue as you are now. You're only wasting your own time.

Agree. Being healthy isn't staying under a calorie goal. You have to look at what you are putting in your body. I would work on swapping out foods that are premade, and incorporate more whole grains and natural foods. Try doing more brown rice, quinoa, barley, and lentils. They can be very filling and are nutritionally satisfying. I find when I eat more foods that are nutritionally satisfying then I am not as hungry. I would also minimize/eliminate sugar - but I make that recommendation to pretty much everyone.

Also, if you are going to continue a sedentary lifestyle, if you want to lose weight I would drop it down to 1600. If you are not regularly burning calories, you should not set your goal so close to a number meant for maintenance(1800-2000).
  • swkittrell
    swkittrell Posts: 48
    I have been using this site for a couple of weeks. I picked up a lot of good advice from this thread. Thanks for all the information.
  • Are you started taking or have you stopped taking any medications? I was watching a show on weight loss the other night, and the lady went off her medication and gained around 15lbs after coming off of it. The doctor told her that it was water weight from adjusting from the medication, and sure enough in two weeks she was back down. I would suggest contacting a doctor to make sure your endocrine system is ok! Good luck!
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    One lesson I have learned since joining MFP is that while for some people, it doesn't seem to matter where their calories come from, for me, it matters. If I stay at or below my calories but all I ate was junk/processed/fried/fast food then I will not lose weight. But, when I try to eat better, I not only feel better but there is a loss on the scale. I think for some people it's more than just tracking calories, it's about what you are putting in your body as well. Good luck.

It works the same way for me. If I eat junk but still stay under/meet my calories, not only do I feel like crap, but I gain weight. Everyone's body responds differently. Some people can eat nothing but junk and lose/maintain their weight, but they're not actually healthy and are most likely malnourished.Pay attention to what you're putting in your body. Weight is only 1 part of health.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    I have read this entire thread, everyone has given you some pretty good information. All I see from you are excuses, excuses, excuses.

That 15 pounds? Not all of that is actual fat. Most of that is water weight from the insane amounts of sodium you're consuming. Stop with the ramen (It's not real food! Not good for you OR for hubby! Quit buying it) increase your water intake (I drink 13 - 16 cups per day) and you'll see a reduction because you won't be retaining so much water.

Your husband doesn't like meat in the house. Well, you can still eat beans, nuts, lentils, eggs, and see if maybe he'll be willing to eat fish, for good protein. Serve with a big portion of vegetables and you've got a healthy meal.

You make a homemade raisin bread. So? You should log it under recipes and figure out exactly how many calories and sugar is in a serving of that bread, it may be more than you think.

FYI: If your husband is trying to gain weight, he shouldn't be doing it by eating high sugar, high sodium, starchy foods. All he's going to gain is a nice sized gut.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Sounds like a whole lot of excuses, I'm afraid. Your diary reflects very well the mistakes that you are making, and people are taking the time to try and help you - help that you asked for - and you are essentially throwing it back in their faces because it's not what you want to hear.

You are logging food wrong. You are eating foods that aren't good for you. It's that simple. You can justify it all you want, but that's what it comes down to. If you want to believe you have some weird weight gain problem that has nothing to do with the crap you've been eating then fine, I'll leave it up to your GP to tell you to eat right, you probably won't listen to that either.

You have to decide if you really want to lose weight. Because you say you do, but your diary does not reflect that. You make excuses rather then doing it properly. That's the problem here, nothing else.

Exactly what she said. Take the advice you were given, or leave it. Start losing weight or continue as you are now. You're only wasting your own time.

Agree. Being healthy isn't staying under a calorie goal. You have to look at what you are putting in your body. I would work on swapping out foods that are premade, and incorporate more whole grains and natural foods. Try doing more brown rice, quinoa, barley, and lentils. They can be very filling and are nutritionally satisfying. I find when I eat more foods that are nutritionally satisfying then I am not as hungry. I would also minimize/eliminate sugar - but I make that recommendation to pretty much everyone.

Also, if you are going to continue a sedentary lifestyle, if you want to lose weight I would drop it down to 1600. If you are not regularly burning calories, you should not set your goal so close to a number meant for maintenance(1800-2000).

Didn't scan all the replies, but these above echo my thoughts when I read OP. Then I read your food/exercise diary (thank you for opening it). Based on what I've learned in the 11 months since I've started (average weight loss is 1lb/week) I offer the following more specific observations:

1. Exercise calories burned seem high. I've learned most calculators/estimators of calorie burned tend to be between 20% and even 40% too high. Even the activity based calculator here on MFP routinely is higher than what I've learned through experience. Don't know your weight, but burning 300+ calories in 30 minutes is hard with casual, light exercise unless you are very heavy. Until I started using a heart rate monitor, I learned to deduct 25% of my exercise calories from either the MFP or exercise machine total. That gave me a buffer for overestimation errors. Now I used one of the formulas I found at www.shapesense.com. and plug in my heart rate and other factors (weight, gender, age, time) into the formula that I store on an Excel worksheet. Whatever the calorie burn is, I round down.

2. Exercise choices: I note you don't log strength training. Strongly encourage you incorporate. You don't have to lift weights, you can use body weight resistance if you cant access machines/free weights.

3. Cardiovascular - related to #1 above. Make sure you are getting and sustaining an elevated heart rate - research online for target zones (recovery, aerobic, anaerobic), then make sure you are working out at an intensity level that gets your heart rate up and keeps it up for 30 minutes at MINIMUM. Sorry, but a leisurely bike ride while enjoyable, is not a good cardio session. If you don't want to monitor your heart rate, use the huff/puff test. You should be working hard enough that you can only get a few words out if you want to talk.

3. Food: you are eating a lot of processed foods. Your sodium is high (should never be as high as MFP's default setting of 2500; rather target 1200 and settle for up to 1800. Sodium is hidden in all processed foods. You can change the target sodium level in the goal setting page of MFP - instead of accepting "guided/recommended" goals, click on the option to set your own. You can set macro nutrients (carbs, fat, etc), sodium and other minerals. I also adjusted my calcium goal to be higher than standard since I have osteoporosis.

4. Food: Measure relentlessly. Measure by weight as much as possible. Make sure your have a good quality, digital scale that switches between metric/English standards since MFP food data base is all over the place with both units.

5. Double check database data. I've run into entries for things like 'banana, 6 to 7-inch' that had calories, but zero macro-nutrients. Someone obviously entered just the calories, not the carb, sugar, etc.

6. Food: related to #3, pay attention to the quality of the food you eat. I did see other posters give more time to this point. Calories aren't everything. Your macronutrient distribution is important. Research, learn what you should be. Monitor, tweak as you learn what your body responds best.

7. Water: keep logging it. Drink more than the 8 cups standard - especially since your sodium is so high.

8. Bottom line: Thermodynamics. Energy consumed must be consistently less than energy expended in order to lose weight. Your food consumption is too high relative to the exercise you do. If you gained weight it's because your equation is the opposite of what it should be. Only some of the weight gain is water, certainly nowhere close to the 15lbs.

9. Bottom line Part II: Be rigorous with logging. That means be accurate, do it daily, set realistic goals and know that it took you a long time, if not your whole life, to get your body to the point it is now that you want to lose weight/get more fit. It will take a long time to change. This must be a lifestyle change in order for it work short or long term.

Good luck.
  • thecapaccino
    thecapaccino Posts: 138
    I have updated my goal to lose 2lb a week.....and at 111.7kg (with the new scale that is fixed in one spot and will not move ever) as my starting weight.

I will weigh in every morning though people say once a week. My NEW calorie intake is 1300.

I am still going to the doctor to get a blood test or whatever cause my mother has Diabetes....

And...I have logged as EVEEYONE and the Queens servants have suggested...EXACT measurements and calories...and even managed to put in 2 German items on my list not in the database. Also added Sodium to the list.

I will try it for a week to see how it goes....(still seeing doc).

Note: First scale I used was a friends...so there could be some fluctuation in the number...but still not that much!??
    Note: Someone mentioned my hubby....He is just thin....he is not getting any fat stomachs or nothing eating my cakes everyday....and I guess I do make them in hopes he gets a little fatter...just for the winter months. Again, he JOGS and/or goes to Gym at LEAST 3 times a week....AND he rides a bike to work (about 30min each way) DAILY!!!!!! I am jealous though...he can eat what he wants...pfff...but life aint fair.
  • thecapaccino
    and oh...did I mention...on my new scale which I got today....I jumped on before the last Comment....it was 112.5kg!!! Then I drank half liter of water...got back on the scale...and the weight.... 112.9kg!

WTF....honestly....I shake my head.....I was created in his image....!!! pffff!!!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    and oh...did I mention...on my new scale which I got today....I jumped on before the last Comment....it was 112.5kg!!! Then I drank half liter of water...got back on the scale...and the weight.... 112.9kg!
    Good, so the new scale is working. A liter of water weighs 1 kg, so if you drank half a liter your weight will go up by half a kg until you urinate / sweat it out.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Get yourself a food scale and a good set of measuring spoons/cups and then use them!...To be honest...your numbers look suspect...ie you could be eating more than you think that you are. example proscuito/ only 15 calories?....weigh your slices/portions!.... Your sodium is high and your water is low (reverse these two)....eat more fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Note: First scale I used was a friends...so there could be some fluctuation in the number...but still not that much!??

You should've mentioned that because there could be big differences. How a scale is placed/positioned makes a difference. Were you in the same clothes and even time of day makes a difference. If you're going to weigh yourself everyday, make sure you're in the same condition each time. Before or after bathroom. Same amount of clothes. Same time. Weight fluctuates quite a bit during the day due to water and food intake. It's why I don't think exact numbers matter but seeing relative change.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Maybe a trip to see your doc is in order. Might be a thyroid issue. Make an appointment to have some tests run. I know gaining while limiting calories and moving is frustrating so there has to be something more. Good luck. please do not give up.

Yes, I'd talk to a doctor and they can help with your nutrition as well.
  • thecapaccino
    Honestly...I am not a SCALE person.

I only used it to "gauge" general eating trends!

I noticed last month BEFORE I decided to sign up with MFP that my stomach was excessively bloated. I went to the doctor in Vienna...useless...he said it could be gas. This after I explained to him that I had been walking 2 hours a day 5-6days a week...and trying to eat more healthy.

So got on MFP to really SEE what was going on....and weight is the easiest thing to measure.

My mother suffered from High Blood pressure and Diabetes....so for years I have been aware that I cant eat all out junk food.

This SYSTEM should INFORM/WARN people that DATABASES are from people like you and me!

Didnt know that....that it was like food calorie counter you google.

But now....I will try (again) to eat SIMPLE foods for a week.....nothing fancy...to see how that affects me weight......
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    the problem is high sodium poor food choices (processed) and incorrect calorie counting! Fix those things-problem solved.
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Where are you getting your calorie information? I was looking at your diary and you have buffalo wild wings six wings at like 450 calories. That sounds really low. To give you an idea Taco mac has nutition posted on their site and 20 wings is 3500 calories. Also, you have a tossed salad marked as a 100 calories but it has olives, egg, chicken, avocado and other items. Seems kinda impossible. I would say get your nutition information verified. That may be your biggest issue cause 1750 and sedentary is a good bit of calories.

Be honest with yourself about what you are eating and don't short change what you log. You won't see success until you get your mind right about what you are doing to your body.

Also agree with all the other posts about eating better food. lean protein, veggies, fruits, low fat dairy and whole grains are what your diet should consist of. And move! Even a walk will help and get you motivated to add more to an exercise routine!

I agree that the calorie counts may be off. If I am not 100% sure of the calorie count of something I try to err on the high side with calories, just to be sure I don't go over.
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member

I'm going to have to agree that there are lots of excuses here. Sounds like you want solutions but don't want to have to actually DO anything. And, if you're "not a scale person" and you feel like this tracking your calories is like "prison" then why are you even here? Think about it. Life is all about choice and you can either choose to take control and change your life or not. Totally your choice. But you can't have it both ways. Good luck to you!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    I can't wait to see how you do with only one scale that doesn't get moved. (It's on a hard surface, not a carpeted or uneven floor, right?) You really could have a huge difference between scales--sometimes my scale gets ornery and weighs me 10 lbs less than I know I am. I have to take the battery out and put it back in, and then it goes back to normal.

I am glad you are going to a doctor--can't hurt and could seriously help.
  • Lots of processed food in that diary...make healthier choices and see a doctor

Seems like alot of carbs as well....I also noticed that your calorie count is a bit off....maybe i'm wrong and its just the brand your using but white bread in my house has 170 calories for 2 slices, you only have 129....and vegetable fried rice for only 80 calories for a half cup?? Seems kinda low...maybe its just me though idk. If they are wrong in your diary stuff like that will add up quick.
  • mtaylor1980
    mtaylor1980 Posts: 134 Member
    deleted
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Weigh and measure every single thing you put in your mouth. I can almost guarantee you are eating WAY more than you think.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    What has your sodium intake been like? If you are retaining some major water that can add a lot. Double check your goal info and make sure it is all correct, see the doctor and have your thyroid checked and pay attention to how your clothes fit. Make sure that you are tracking everything you eat and make sure that you are getting some exercise, even if only walking for 20 minutes a day. Always weigh at the same time of day (before you eat breakfast is best). If everything with your info and your health is in order then stick with your plan a little longer. If you try to jump to a new plan everytime that there is a setback, nothing gets done.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    1750 sounds like a lot of calories for a sedentary lifestyle. I know there are several aspects to figuring your calorie recommendation, but I have a sedentary lifestyle and my calorie recommendation is set to 1520. Maybe you should double-check the info you entered. Also, if you are eating back exercise calories, maybe you are over estimating calories actually burned. I believe the MFP exercise database calories are based on balls-to-the-wall performance. I always use about 50% from the database, based on my capabilities. And, you should probably weigh at least once a week so you can avoid a crisis like this one in the future. Good luck.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Get serious sodium-phobics. Sodium can make you temporarily gain a few pounds here and there, but it's not going to make you gain 15 pounds of fat in a month!
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    I've looked at your diary & reread the OP, I'm very confused. :frown: Your base calories a day are set at 1300 at sedentary, where's the 1750 coming from?? You have been consistantly eating anywhere up to 500 extra calories a day without exercise & are constantly in the red. As far as I can tell, this is not meeting your daily goal?????????????
  • thecapaccino
    Again...with some of the FOODS...I only typed in "generic" database food...as I felt it wasnt important to log every item that I used to cook!

So something like Egg Fried Rice...I would use Frozen Veggies mixed....Rice...1 Egg...and 1tsp oil.....So I estimated the calories and choose database item close that calorie count.

I have CHANGED MY goals...I still have a sedentary lifestyle...but I added 2lbs a week LOSS! Also, my WEIGHT Increased and I have started at a random weigh in from yesterday of 111.7 kg / 246lbs.

That is a lot of weight....

Also, I have added tracking SODIUM.
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Again...with some of the FOODS...I only typed in "generic" database food...as I felt it wasnt important to log every item that I used to cook!

So something like Egg Fried Rice...I would use Frozen Veggies mixed....Rice...1 Egg...and 1tsp oil.....So I estimated the calories and choose database item close that calorie count.

I have CHANGED MY goals...I still have a sedentary lifestyle...but I added 2lbs a week LOSS! Also, my WEIGHT Increased and I have started at a random weigh in from yesterday of 111.7 kg / 246lbs.

That is a lot of weight....

Also, I have added tracking SODIUM.

You have to add everything to your diary. What is the point of using this site if you are just going to skip ingredients and guess calories!? I am really confused as to why you are here. I know it sounds rude but I just don't understand. If you aren't going to use the tools provided and just make stuff up out of thin air there's no point using the system. You are meant to limit your food around your goals not limit your goals around your food.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member

Not be nasty about it, but that's exactly why it's not working. It's more important than you realized to log every item. No shame in that. We all make mistakes and there's a learning curve. Now you know you have to be extra vigilant and double-check everything.

If that doesn't work, get checked to rule out any medical issues. For instance, some conditions can cause extreme water retention.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Looks like you are taking on board all the advice :) good for you.

now just give it rime to work - it may take a month before you find a good pattern but you will get there.
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Different scale can EASILY make a 15 lb difference. My own scale varies by almost 10 lbs by where I stand on it, just shifting my weight. Add in the water I lose from exercising during the summer, and I can (and did) manage a 12 lb difference in what the scale reads within a single day. My weight only changed maybe 3 lbs(all water), but you have to be careful with scales.

What the scale shows is only as valid to show your fat gain/loss if you use the same scale (or same calibrated) when you're the same amount hydrated. Which is why a lot of people advocate weighing at the same time, on the same day, after the same activities.

And I go along with everyone who says that the database food is not always accurate. When I was on college board plan I had a terrible time because I'd find 15 listings for the food, and they'd vary by 300 calories for the same quantity. When I had to use those, I looked at all the values which had a useful serving size, and picked one slightly above the average for calories. But my weight loss is twice as fast now that I'm making my own food and logging recipes with all ingredients.
  • thecapaccino
    ...I was told...when someone prefaces a statement with "I dont mean to sound nasty"....well.....:-))