Why does everyone love Zumba so much?

Options

Replies

• lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to be a dancer so instead of doing step aerobics which just feels like a workout class, Zumba to me feels like I'm back in a dance class. You have to like the latin/ hip-hop type music though so if you don't, you're not going to love Zumba. I love the feeling of being able to dance what I'm feeling and I can't do that in a normal workout class. I prefer the classes over simply doing a DVD or a game version. Although it's nice to workout in the comfort of your own home, you miss out on that group feeling of cheering each other on.

As much as I like to go for a run, I do that for endurance. In order for me to burn the number of calories that I do in a Zumba class, I would have to run over 6 miles every day. In one hour long Zumba class, I burn an approximate of 650-725 calories (and yes, this was done with a HR monitor on). No fitness class that I have done has come close to that - granted I have not tried P90X, Turbofire or Insanity so I can't really speak on those.
  • danielleduplantis
    Options
    I POSTED BEFORE I WAS DONE SO TO FINISH........ I DONT LOVE ALL ZUMBA BUT MY GYM ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i love it because its fun. if its not fun for you then dont try to get into it :p
  • amberrrrh
    amberrrrh Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I really don't like doing zumba. I just can't get into it, but I do love other dance workouts. I don't know why.

I've tried getting into zumba about 3 times, but I just can't do it.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It's just a trend. I tried it like 5 years ago and didn't click with it.

I think part of the mania is their exaggerated 'calories burned' claims. If I thought I could burn 1000 calories in an hour of mostly dancing, I would be all over that.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I think people like it because its a fun way to get in good workout that incorporates your whole body. It's like dancing + aerobics. It burns a lot of calories, but its not a mundane activity so its easy to stick to. I liked it when I did it a few times, but I just can't justify spending my hard earned money on classes and I don't enjoy following the video game Zumbas. Maybe someday....
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I did it for two years and then I got burned out. I am into spinning now.
  • awmejia
    awmejia Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I hate it. I would rather go hiking.
  • samasche1
    samasche1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Because it is a "fun" exercise! It is my break from running/regular cardio & lifting-- if you I can't have fun working out I don't do it at all!

Also, joining a class is 100x better than doing it at home--WAY more exciting!
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    It's just a trend. I tried it like 5 years ago and didn't click with it.

I think part of the mania is their exaggerated 'calories burned' claims. If I thought I could burn 1000 calories in an hour of mostly dancing, I would be all over that.

Yea, I see it as a trend too. I think I am mad at it because it took the place of a class I really did enjoy too!
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I've tried it, and yeah it's fun and burns a lot of calories, but I'm not crazy about it. In fact, I've only done it twice. But if people love it and it's helping them become more active, more power to them! It's all about finding what you like to do. :smile:
  • shannonsherfey
    Options
    I love Zumba on days when I don't feel like running. But, I agree that it totally depends on the instructor. Ours choreographs new dances almost every week and then when you come enough & know the older dances, it really is fun! She uses all kinds of current music, not just the latin music.

BUT, I don't know how to track zumba or "fitness dance" on my exercise tracker. Any suggestions? I don't want to overestimate the number of calories I'm burning but I do get a great workout & sweat a lot. I definitely don't think it burns 1000 calories per hour. It is certainly not as efficient as running! But it is much more fun & good for variety.
  • stefanie1990
    stefanie1990 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it. I have tried it a few times. It's alright I guess, but I really can't get into it. I see all these posts about how great it is. I just don't see it.

I keep being told I should come to class. I just keep on brushing them off. I would rather try to build muscle or go for a run if I am doing cardio.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it at all?

I am not a fan either haha I do not get it.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The music is awesome and the workout is fantastic. It's fun to dance. Any exercise that is fun and gets you moving is definitely one to love.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    . No fitness class that I have done has come close to that - granted I have not tried P90X, Turbofire or Insanity so I can't really speak on those.

I have done all those. I love them and they can get you in shape, but I burn twice as many calories doing zumba per my HRM
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would never go to a class to do it, but i like doing it with the xbox. me. my living room. no one else. I look like an uncoordinated chicken, but man i sweat!
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    I just don't get it. I have tried it a few times. It's alright I guess, but I really can't get into it. I see all these posts about how great it is. I just don't see it.

I keep being told I should come to class. I just keep on brushing them off. I would rather try to build muscle or go for a run if I am doing cardio.

For me it really depends on the teacher. I have one that runs an AWESOME Zumba class that I actually miss doing when I am out of town.... then there is another place I go with Zumba that is pretty meh. This week my good instructor had to be out and they brought a sub in... the class is awful with her.

It can vary in intensity and fun a LOT. I'm so looking forward to my good teacher getting back next week and probably won't bother going to tonight's class with the sub. It's just not a good workout for the time spent with her.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Zumba does nothing for me either!!!!!
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Nope, I'm not a fan either.

But, if it gets some people moving and makes them happy - more power to them!

Oh, for sure, I agree, it's just when I say I don't like it/am not interested, they all look at me like I am an alien, ahahaha.

Oooh, you're doing the classes? Oh no, hell with that -- I do it at home on the Wii so no one can see how stupid I look.

I bought the Wii game when it first came out and hated it. I have gone to 2 classes now and love them.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have never tried it... it doesn't really interest me.