Why does everyone love Zumba so much?

Options

Replies

• chirpchirpcricket
    Options
    It's great because it feels less like exercising if you're having fun. Especially in classes, it helps boost confidence and has a bunch of sexy dance moves. ;D
  • TinaKeniston
    TinaKeniston Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't care for it. I'm not a group exercise person, so that's probably why.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I don't like it. I'm not into all that dancey stuff. I have much more fun doing TapOut lol.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I've never done it but it looks fun. Problem is I see so many overweight Zumba instructors and it makes me wonder "are they burning any calories?" I know some ppl have success with Zumba but I've never seen an overweight Turbo Kick instructor lol
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I love it. It is so much fun but I do it from home with the set that the hubby got me. Having the toning sticks sounds like I have maracas in my hand. I must admit that the lead male instructor Beto looks like a monkey and a bit strange, but overall I am pleased with my results.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I love to dance so I think it's great! In fact, my plan is to be at tomorrow morning's 8:30am class!
  • mzcruise
    mzcruise Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like zumba, but I'd rather do it at home.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I can not Zumba! I have tried, several times. I just can't get my feet, hips, feet and arms to move in different directions at one time! I LOVE to dance so I really thought I'd like Zumba but I just can't get it down.
  • amazingfitgirl
    amazingfitgirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's not for everyone and if you don't like to dance I can see why you wouldn't like it. I adore it. It is my favorite workout and I am thinking about becoming an instructor, but then again...I have always loved to dance.

It also depends on the instructor. There are a few at my gym. One is all about trying to look sexy. Another I barely break a sweat and my favorite class is always packed with the lights off and awesome music and you are dying at the end. So much energy and fun and it is the only workout I don't want to end.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba and Aqua Zumba class because of the upbeat music and fun dancing.

You have to find what YOU like, so if you don't like it, don't force it.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Tried it once. Lasted 8 minutes. Ew.
  • mrsjohn99
    mrsjohn99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on the instructor. If you have an instructor who doesn't understand the beats of music., who is not energetic, and is not able to keep things challenging yet easy to follow it really does suck! With the right instructor it can be a lot of fun--so much so that you don't realize you are burning a crazy amount of calories. I generally burn right around 800 calories in about 50 50 55 minutes. Not too shabby! If you like music and you want to break up your other workouts, Zumba is a great option!!
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    I like to do dance classes but I prefer more hip hop style rather than feeling like I am belly dancing to some african music.

I'm not a huge fan of Zumba myself. I don't get excited about it :/
  • starcyndycyn
    Options
    I took a Zumba class today for the first time, and I really did not enjoy it. It was the first time I felt demoralized after two months of religiously going to my gym. The class was full of people who already knew all of the moves, the teacher was very exciting, but everything goes so quickly that I could not catch on at all. I don't picture myself going back to do it again--why do it over and over to learn the moves when I didn't enjoy it. I nearly left, to be honest, but stayed for all 60 minutes, just to move around and get a workout.

I also found that it hurt my knee, so people with knee problems may want to skip it.
  • UZBGIRL
    UZBGIRL Posts: 35
    Options
    I started Zumba over a year ago and love it. .Yes, it is right. It really does depend on the instructor. I have about 6 instructors but like three of them. You need zumba shoes (bloch) if you not wanna hurt your knees. You could get a DVD to learn steps at home and join the club. Or try beginning level.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I've gone, it's fun if you go with friends. But I'm not a dancer, I have no grace and it just wasn't for me. we freestyled through most of the class because we were just a couple of fat girls shaking our thing ;-)
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I know of quite a few people that don't like it. I personally LOVE it because I love to dance and have an awesome instructor who does more hip hop than latin. If I go to a class that is mostly latin music, I hate it. Another reason I love it is I burn 700 calories in a little less than an hour
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I only did it once - my sister in-law teaches the classes, so I went with her, and I had a blast. They live in a different state though, so I haven't gone again. I like it because I'm concentrating on learning the dance moves, so it doesn't feel so much like exercise to me. But everyone is different, and going to like different things.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    SHAKING YOUR BOOTAY! I love to dance, soooo....yes, I love Zumba. I also believe you have to have a good instructor. Having a lame one can RUIN the ENTIRE workout.

Also, having some friends around helps you get the giggles and enjoy it to the fullest. :)
  • jazzyali
    jazzyali Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba, but mainly it's because of the instructor- she's always going ALL out- like 125%- it's contagious. I've gone to a few zumbathons with other instructors there as well, but none were as good as my regular instructor. A good instructor will give you cues as to what you are supposed to do next.

I think it's also the friends and community that I've made as well- kind of like a built in accountability group.

Only been doing it for a month and a half and I'm 20 lbs lighter!