Facebook or MFP? Which do you prefer? Better friends?

Options

Replies

• jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Same... I find that I do not log onto FB for days at a time. If it weren't for my family in other states, I wouldn't ever use it. My MFP friends are more positive and supportive... no drama... unless I read all the forums :laugh:
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Two completely different things. FB is where I keep in touch with my widely geographically dispersed family and friends. We plan get togethers and trips, hear about the fun and not so fun, and share information about the world. But here is where I talk about weight loss and exercise and health. My friends here are also FB and Twitter friends. But there we talk about our whole lives with all of our friends. Here we talk about our weight loss goals, victories, and bumps in the road. I don't want to be obsessed with this part of my life, so compartmentalize it here. Then I can share sparingly along the way with everyone over there as I choose to.

This! I don't want to drive my FB friends nutso with my weight loss journey, or my mfp friends with my life journey and the zillions of grandson pics I post... There is some spillover in both, but I compartmentalize also...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Facebook was cool at first when I had 10 friends.

Step into now where people I knew in high school have friended me, and if I saw them in the street today, I'd pass right by them with out having the slightest clue who they were.

I have hundreds of people on "ignore" because they are annoying. I don't even know who they are anymore. I have others that I tolerate, and I don't know why. There are boatloads of people that I just don't care about, ex-girlfriends, relatives that I never ever talk to, some relatives I've never even met, and overall, it's just a freaking disaster.

I did go on ther a couple years ago and really let the *kitten* fly by dropping f-bombs and just saying off-color jokes and being about as rude as I could. I did get some folks deleting me, which was my intent. I didn't do it to be rude, per se, I just did it thinking, 'this is me. If you were in my house, this is how I talk, act, and things I say and find funny, if you don't like it, get out'. But, then work people started friending me. That adds a whole new layer of complexity. I hate that. Once the work people came, I decided FB is lame, and I've stopped using it almost completely.

MFP is a place where I can honest. Where my feelings don't get hurt when people delete me, and where I don't mind adding new friends as long as they aren't tools. We all have a common goal, so talking about health and fitness and food is encouraged rather than tolerated, I like that. Fitness, health, and diet are such a huge part of people's lives, that it's sad that we can't share it more often with good friends and relatives. But, most people really don't care. And to me, that's where things separate. This is where I have lost touch with some friends. It's difficult because they don't understand that I don't live like I used to, my time is limited because I have carved out large chunks of time for exercise. And I'm always thinking about doing healthy things like playing tennis or going for a run, or things of that sort, and then a friend calls and wants to go eat at a restaurant and see a movie and I'm not into it. I'd rather be outside or do something else. It's difficult. But, everyone here understands and can relate.

So, I spend more time here than FB. FB is more like I just check in and look around once a day or so.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    No contest.....MFP rocks!
    Facebook is where I share photos with the family and friends, and that's it.
    I have 3700+ friends and yet MFP is the staple of true support in my life.

There isn't a day that passes where I am not tempted to deactivate FB.
    Did away with Face Book over a year ago. No regrets at all. MFP gets my vote hands down.
  • GerritTheBlacksmith
    Options
    I am spending more time here than FB.
    I still use FB to keep up with friends
  • size08
    size08 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have twice as many friends on MFP. nobody really likes me on FB. maybe I talk too much about health and fittness. maybe my photo's put FB friends off. or they're jeagous -- can not relate to my health and fittness talk. And it's really hard to add friends on FB; where as MFP my invitations for friends request is always welcomed. FB I've noticed too, brings out a lot of true colours in people. I've clashed with over 3 people, they are or seem to be nice to me at work, but for some strange reason absolutely don't want to have anything to do with me on their FB. don't really know what's that's all about.
  • CDMAGS
    CDMAGS Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I F*&^ing hate facebook. But I am afraid to get rid of it lol

This
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Mfp all the way, my friends on here are way better :)
  • Nique1126
    Nique1126 Posts: 2
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE MFP>>>>FACEBOOK<---blah ...lol
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I much rather MFP, more positive conversation, more diverse and all the cleavage you could ever want lol
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I do MFP, FB and LinkedIn. I am multifaceted in my drive to succeed in several aspects in my life. Hence I will not use only one forum to meet, connect and support people.
  • Show_Stopper
    Show_Stopper Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    What's Facebook Bahahahahaha JK I love MFP hands down it's better I think it's because everybody here has the same type of goals so we can all relate! :happy: If you need more friends add me!
  • lyxus
    lyxus Posts: 85
    Options
    You will reply yourself... Which one is the most usefull ?
  • lovezies
    lovezies Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do both about the same. I don't have many friends on either but I enjoy reading others posts. FB let's me keep up with family. MFP helps me stay on track and I'm a success story junkie. ;-)
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss is concerned, there are no better friends than the ones that are here, on the Myfitnesspal Forum. There is one issue that is very important to all of us. It concerns all of us and we are all dealing (or used to) with it. It kind of unites us. Therefore our communication is real, authentic, honest, and experience based. At least for those of us who are here primary because of the weight related issues.

BTW. I just started Facebook and created weight-loss related page there.

Please read my today’s post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/676899-unusual-request

and respond if you can.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I have incredible support from my friends on here, but I have some really close friends on facebook that have been though the thick and the thin with me. We're all over the place because of summer break, new jobs, and what not, so its a big way we stay in touch.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    even tho I love MFP.. I pick FB, lots of family , ex workmates, ex school mates in there. Cant compare..
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    No comparison.

I use Facebook for personal reasons. I only have REAL friends on there, and they are a part of my real life.

MFP is a bunch of wonderful, sometimes faceless, sometimes nameless, supportive people for my purpose of getting fit and losing weight.

:smile:
  • SusanCotter21
    SusanCotter21 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love both, and use both for very different purposes. I don't talk a lot about my weight loss issues on Facebook, as a lot of my friends just don't understand what I am or have been through. On here, well, you guys are wonderful and I couldn't do this without you.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I got rid of Facebook months ago and I feel great about it. I love MFP and all the great people I've met on here.