Purpose of dating?

Options
calvert6183
calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
Honestly: In your opinion, what is the single most important purpose of dating? (ie marriage, free meals, sex, finding true love, just not to be alone, companionship, children, tax breaks lol)

Replies

• legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    True love of course.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    it's step one in the propagation of the species.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    To have someone to have sex with anytime you want.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Don't know anymore, haven't dated in a good long while. Guess I'll figure out what I want from it when I start again.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    To have someone to have sex with anytime you want.

You don't need to date to find that.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about companionship. I don't care about the meals, the sex, or even a real relationship/"love"... I just like having someone there... like a friend... could be more... or less... doesn't matter. I just like the companionship.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I once heard the explanation that it's an audition to see if you have sexual chemistry and have potential for a sexual or other relationship.

That's very direct, but I think it's true. It's also why I think, and I am a feminist, that women usually shouldn't ask out men. If a guy has any serious interest, he'll ask.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Partnership. To find someone to share all of life's adventures with.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    I would say there is no point of dating unless you can see yourself marrying the person. If there's no end game, why do it?
  • pennyrtyler
    pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't have a clue ... and yet, I'm compelled to keep doing it. :ohwell:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    companionship, at least for me to find the partner I would like to marry and spend my life with experiencing the ups and downs, together.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Finding my other half, my partner-in-crime. That guy who can deal with my quirks whose quirks match mine. That one person in the world who I can just be stupid with but who can put my feet back on the ground when I start floating away.

That's what I'm looking for when I date.
    Haven't found him yet.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It's different for all.
    I wanted to size up a woman for a life of happiness.:bigsmile:
    I am very single-minded when it comes to getting what I want.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would say there is no point of dating unless you can see yourself marrying the person. If there's no end game, why do it?

I agree. I'm kind of tired of relationships that don't go anywhere and that don't even hint at going anywhere.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Partnership
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    For me its about finding love and companionship. I hate casual dating. I like finding someone to fall in love and build a future with, that leads toward marriage when its right for the both of you.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Depends on what stage you are in life. When I was 20, it was about having fun, the flirting, the sex. When I was 30 it was about finding someone worth marrying and building a life with.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    lol well for most of the women I seem to encounter lately, they use it as an ego boost or just love attention.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options

Dating is practice-marriage. Eliminating the "no's" is just as important as finding the "yes." Tell me, how do *you* evaluate potential partners, if you think dating is pointless unless you're ready to propose?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    ...because we need the eggs.

Anyone who gets that gets big bonus points.