Spreadsheet for BMR/TDEE Deficit calc, Macro calc, HRM

Options
heybales
heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
Also on BLOG:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales?month=201207

After observing so many desiring to increase their calories to get out of a stall, but the confusion over different BMR values found, different TDEE calculators doing things different ways, desires to still eat back exercise calories and basically use MFP but tweak it, I wanted a spreadsheet with everything in one place.

I could never find a site that really had everything in one place, though some came close. If I could do web page coding, I could have done it there. But I think there is something to be said for a spreadsheet you can download as Excel or into your own Google account, and keep your figures for future reference and changes, which a web page can't give you.

So this Spreadsheet is hopefully self-explanatory if you have seen any of the discussions regarding TDEE and deficits (Roadmap from helloitsdan, EM2WL group, ect), and BMR, ect. It is not totally meant as educational, which you can get elsewhere.

So it does appear busy, because I think it's interesting to see all the figures at once, so you can see that sometimes, concern over minor values really doesn't change things much in the end. Just read carefully to see what is going on, and don't accidently wipe out non-yellow cells. I wanted explanations.

There is sample data there already, perhaps viewing what was going on with example person my help explain how to use for yourself. But delete data in yellow cells before putting in your own info, no need for confusion.

Each tab has an explanation at top as to why you may want to use that method, or what that tab does for you.

The BMR/TDEE Deficit tab, shows you the 3 different calcs for BMR you've probably seen. And then three ways of trying to nail your real TDEE figure (pick one). Then several deficit methods that I've seen referenced in studies or is popular, and when you might use that deficit method. Pick one or a middle value of extremes perhaps. And how to change the MFP settings.

The MFP Tweak tab, is merely to get the Daily goal figure above whatever number you want to use as bare minimum, be that better estimated BMR or perhaps a RMR figure you got from a test. Then you eat back HRM based exercise calories. For when your workouts are too iffy to include in daily TDEE value based on weekly average.

The Macros tab is new and deals with some of the common advice on how much protein, fat, and carbs to eat if not straight % method, which is what MFP uses. So now a means to get your amounts, and convert to a %, and what to change in MFP to meet your eating goals. Also included some Zone diet calcs I had from years ago using this method during endurance training, in case you do that diet in general.

The HRM tab is some changes to the HRM you could do for better calorie burn estimates, and getting your HR training zones for better training. Included a new section on getting your Lactate Threshold figured out for performance training. Perhaps the weight is coming off and now you want to train smart for an event and being fast or have endurance.

The Eating For Future You was the start of the spreadsheet, and is specific method that is more work to nail daily activity, but perhaps better potential if honest.

I'm hopefully done tweaking, as I got suggestions from my friends list and the first version was out for awhile, but let me know if something lacking or wrong. Which means check back for updates compared to your saved version. The date is there.

The sheet mentions the fact you can copy it to your own Google account, or download it as Excel, and most the formatting looks correct, the math is the same. The one that is there is locked of course so no accidental changes.

Hope you can find it useful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

Replies

• adsumodo
    adsumodo Posts: 38
    Options
    thanks!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping for this information..Thank you for doing this!!!!
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    Bump thx
  • 3RMomma
    3RMomma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Awesome tool! Thanks for all the hard work you put into this and for sharing it with the rest of us!!!
  • heybales
    Options
    I just saw that the NROLFW thread and noticed the formula they use for daily goal is different.

It would be easy to incorporate on probably a tab.

Any benefit to having it there?
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MyNabbrs
    MyNabbrs Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump :happy:
  • deb1962
    deb1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
  • Fredrikanita
    Fredrikanita Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ironducky
    Ironducky Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options
    You are all welcome.

I looked at the tools I've used a lot in helping people and started as way to run numbers faster.
    Turned into this.

Any improvements let me know. I was thinking of the calorie recommendations in the New Rules for Lifting for Women and their's is a combo of BMI, multiplier, level, ect.

I've never run numbers for folks to see how it compares to TDEE method, so that may be just as good.
  • foranagirl
    foranagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is great..thanks!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Isn't this pretty much what the MFP site does for you? The data is displayed a little differently, but it's still based on the idea of figuring out your TDEE, picking a reasonable deficit and giving you macro targets.
  • heybales
    Options
    Isn't this pretty much what the MFP site does for you? The data is displayed a little differently, but it's still based on the idea of figuring out your TDEE, picking a reasonable deficit and giving you macro targets.

It is not actually.

MFP doesn't calculate a TDEE that includes exercise, unless you don't exercise, in which case it is correct.
    You'll notice their activity levels are totally without reference to exercise.

MFP calculates a non-exercise maintenance, takes a deficit, and then you add on exercise when really done - and eat at that level.

Most weight loss programs calculate a true exercise included TDEE, take a deficit, and then you eat at that level.

May end up about the same.

So 2 ways to look at it.
    Motivated to eat more, you workout and do it the MFP way.
    Motivated to meet the goals you setup and are already eating at, do it a TDEE deficit method way.

The other big difference is on MFP you select your own possibly unreasonable weight loss amount, and given a calorie goal that may not be realistic for the amount you have to lose. It may give great results for 1-3 weeks before slowly tapering off, but if you read all the posts about stalls and plateaus, that stops for far too many. But you are hooked and here and advertisers are happy.

Whereas taking a % off your true TDEE allows more reasonable deficit for how much you have to lose.

So very different as the many that got out of stalls by NOT taking MFP's suggestions will tell you.
  • ladytxn
    ladytxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    wow... thanks!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Cool! Thanks 4 doing this:-)
  • heybales
    Options
    Cool! Thanks 4 doing this:-)

I thought it would be easier than websites and writing all the info down, which I've done too much of. Now saved.
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    bump
This discussion has been closed.