6 Things that Will STOP weight loss in its tracks!

Options
1. Too much salt in your diet. Daily intake should be between 2 to 2.5 grams of salt. Sodium found in salt is an important electrolyte to our body functioning, but too much can cause of maintenance of water weight. When our bloodstream has too much salt in it then we need to drink fluids to dilute it to a normal balance. Likewise when you urinate the salt follows it. Hydrating well will help flush the high salt content out. Drinking too much water however in a short period of time can cause the opposite effect of too low sodium levels, also known as hyponatremia, which will cause dizziness, disorientation, and can lead to seizures. Our bodies sweat out salt as well. With marathon running, taking salt tabs every so often can help prevent this especially when drinking lots of water during the race.

2. Rid your diet of gluten. Gluten is wheat, barley, and rye and found in many products. Essentially it destroys the villi in your intestines that absorb nutrients. When your body can't get the nutrients it needs, it goes it to starvation mode, and preserves its weight.

3. Not consuming enough daily calories. Once again your body will go into starvation mode if you are not consuming enough calories. Sometimes you are consuming enough calories but the weight stays because it has got use to what you are eating. Consume 100-200 more calories for a few days to boost your metabolism, then go back to your regular caloric intake and see the pounds shed. Don't panic if you initially gain weight.

4. Eating foods with a high glycemic index. People usually don't gain weight by ingesting fat, but from consuming too much sugar. Our bodies actually learn to store sugar as fat faster if we have sugar addictions, instead of metabolizing it. So stop with the starchy foods, alcohol, pastas, breads, and the obvious cookies and cake. If you must have pasta dishes try to substitute with quinoa spaghetti noodles. Wean your body so that you aren't so sensitive to sugar.

5. Hormone supplementation such as birth control pills.

6. Not drinking enough water. Think of water as the oil for your car, your body. If your body becomes dehydrated it can't function properly slowing fat burning. Dehydration begins way before the first thirst impulse. Water is needed to flush out the toxins, increases oxygen to your muscles needed for aerobic metabolism which is the ultimate burner of calories. A good rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces. 120lbs=60 ounces= 7.5 glasses of water/day.

If you have any other experiences that cause plateaus please add it in the comment section and please add me as your buddy!!!!

Replies

• HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Thank you.. Im bumping this. :smile:
  • MDamoun
    MDamoun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Excellent share. Thanks for posting it!
  • katelouiseoz
    Options
    Thanks for this - great advise :)
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who finds posts from this user more spammy than anything else? This one in particular is full of outdated misinformation.
  • ronnio_ron
    ronnio_ron Posts: 61
    Options
    Good note - may want o add lack or excercise or body movements (apart from normal daily go's) can be a big add, which is not foody but still
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    lol, no.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    sigh... smh. *waits for comments correcting this post*
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who finds posts from this user more spammy than anything else? This one in particular is full of outdated misinformation.
    I second that. One tip that will STOP weightloss in its track: eat more than you need, move less than you should. That's about it ;)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Argh, OP, just stop already.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Can you cite a reputable source regarding your thoughts on gluten? I'm pretty sure it's just a form of protein that some people are sensitive to or unable to digest (but most aren't).
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I ate pizza, a cupcake, hot coco, ice cream today twix bar yesterday with Reese's peanut butter cups and oh a little Debbie snack cake and pancakes with syrup and taco bell. So I guess I should be fat ehh? Hehe. Maybe you should look up the dude who lost massive weight on the Twinkie diet. It's calories in and calories out baby. And lots of water if you like salt and I love it.
  • georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    How do you know if you're eating too few calories? I exercise lots and eat when I'm hungry but hardly ever get to 1200 calories. The only way I can think of doing this is by stopping at McDonalds on the way home and surely that cant be good for you? I dont want my body to go into starvation mode but dont know how few is too few. Check out my diary for ideas?
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    1. Too much salt in your diet. Daily intake should be between 2 to 2.5 grams of salt. Sodium found in salt is an important electrolyte to our body functioning, but too much can cause of maintenance of water weight. When our bloodstream has too much salt in it then we need to drink fluids to dilute it to a normal balance. Likewise when you urinate the salt follows it. Hydrating well will help flush the high salt content out. Drinking too much water however in a short period of time can cause the opposite effect of too low sodium levels, also known as hyponatremia, which will cause dizziness, disorientation, and can lead to seizures. Our bodies sweat out salt as well. With marathon running, taking salt tabs every so often can help prevent this especially when drinking lots of water during the race.

2. Rid your diet of gluten. Gluten is wheat, barley, and rye and found in many products. Essentially it destroys the villi in your intestines that absorb nutrients. When your body can't get the nutrients it needs, it goes it to starvation mode, and preserves its weight.

3. Not consuming enough daily calories. Once again your body will go into starvation mode if you are not consuming enough calories. Sometimes you are consuming enough calories but the weight stays because it has got use to what you are eating. Consume 100-200 more calories for a few days to boost your metabolism, then go back to your regular caloric intake and see the pounds shed. Don't panic if you initially gain weight.

4. Eating foods with a high glycemic index. People usually don't gain weight by ingesting fat, but from consuming too much sugar. Our bodies actually learn to store sugar as fat faster if we have sugar addictions, instead of metabolizing it. So stop with the starchy foods, alcohol, pastas, breads, and the obvious cookies and cake. If you must have pasta dishes try to substitute with quinoa spaghetti noodles. Wean your body so that you aren't so sensitive to sugar.

6. Not drinking enough water. Think of water as the oil for your car, your body. If your body becomes dehydrated it can't function properly slowing fat burning. Dehydration begins way before the first thirst impulse. Water is needed to flush out the toxins, increases oxygen to your muscles needed for aerobic metabolism which is the ultimate burner of calories. A good rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces. 120lbs=60 ounces= 7.5 glasses of water/day.

If you have any other experiences that cause plateaus please add it in the comment section and please add me as your buddy!!!!

1. Over-hype

2. Gluten is bad for intolerant people. Starvation mode is a bro-science myth.

3. Complete bull****.

4. Partial truth. Insulin control is important.

5. Unknown to me.

6. Partial truth.

Some simple Google searches can find better and more complete information based on science.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Only half is crap so you shouldn't be too hard on her.

#1, 2 and 4 are flat out wrong but getting enough water is very important and hormonal pills do have some sort of an effect on weight loss.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    +1. Numbers 1-4 are all misinformation. Posting bogus info like this just further muddies the water for people trying to figure out what they should be doing.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Can you cite a reputable source regarding your thoughts on gluten? I'm pretty sure it's just a form of protein that some people are sensitive to or unable to digest (but most aren't).

edit: never mind, I'd rather not engage
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    saved for later x
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

1. Over-hype

2. Gluten is bad for intolerant people. Starvation mode is a bro-science myth.

3. Complete bull****.

4. Partial truth. Insulin control is important.

5. Unknown to me.

6. Partial truth.

Some simple Google searches can find better and more complete information based on science.

Well said.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

TRULY MISINFO!!!
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

edit: never mind, I'd rather not engage

^ lol that was freakin funny