6 Things that Will STOP weight loss in its tracks!

Options

Replies

• SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Pffft! I wonder how I managed to lose 40lbs then....
  • raeCR
    raeCR Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If I don't take my birth control I will most certainly gain weight! LOL.
  • MDamoun
    MDamoun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    great! :grumble: :noway:
    ok guys... for newbe like me its confusing now.:sick: Please direct me to the right post!:frown:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    4. Eating foods with a high glycemic index. People usually don't gain weight by ingesting fat, but from consuming too much sugar. Our bodies actually learn to store sugar as fat faster if we have sugar addictions, instead of metabolizing it. So stop with the starchy foods, alcohol, pastas, breads, and the obvious cookies and cake. If you must have pasta dishes try to substitute with quinoa spaghetti noodles. Wean your body so that you aren't so sensitive to sugar.
    Sorry but I disagree with this one especially on the bolded part. We still need those starchy carbs such as brown rice, potato, corn, beans etc. & those are excellent post-workout meals especially after a weight lifting session to replenish lost glycogen in our muscles.

FYI quinoa is also a starchy carb. The only difference is that it contains more protein than grains. You just mentioned replacing pasta with this one.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Can you cite a reputable source regarding your thoughts on gluten? I'm pretty sure it's just a form of protein that some people are sensitive to or unable to digest (but most aren't).

edit: never mind, I'd rather not engage

^ lol that was freakin funny

5. Hormone supplementation such as birth control pills.

Well, what if someone HAS to be on them for something like skin issues? Oh and how did I lose 34lbs then? Hmm idk, it's more in finding the right one for you.
  • raeCR
    raeCR Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think the original person who posted this was just trying to be helpful.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    These things just confuse people. The simple truth is: If you consume less calories than you burn you will lose weight. There are other considerations if you are looking for fitness as a goal but weight loss is calories in < calories out.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options

Parroting bad information as truth is the exact opposite. I educated myself instead of listening to others say the same wrong information over and over. It turns out, losing fat is not difficult once a few basic principals and bodily functions are known.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Parroting bad information as truth is the exact opposite. I educated myself instead of listening to others say the same wrong information over and over. It turns out, losing fat is not difficult once a few basic principals and bodily functions are known.

Indeed it is.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Ladies, can any of you weigh in [no pun intended] on five? I'm on HRT..
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    i'm on the pill and it hasn't made me gain weight. i gained weight because i ate too much!
  • germaic
    germaic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these tips, I really need to make an effort to increase my water intake. I also have a tendency to eat pickles when I'm hungry to stave off the hunger, I know this adds too much salt. Any ideas?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    great! :grumble: :noway:
    ok guys... for newbe like me its confusing now.:sick: Please direct me to the right post!:frown:

Try this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/668418-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag?

And ignore the title, the OP was having some fun!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Depends on the specific hormones and your body chemistry. Some people gain, some people actually lose weight (though you won't ever hear a woman complain about losing!). But it won't magically make you gain or lose weight- regardless, the calorie balance holds true. If you're conscious of the possibility and mindful of your intake and exercise, you should be fine.
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    Only half is crap so you shouldn't be too hard on her.

#1, 2 and 4 are flat out wrong but getting enough water is very important and hormonal pills do have some sort of an effect on weight loss.

you have to find the right pill that's all. I'm losing on mine. some make you feel hungry, therefore you eat more.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these tips, I really need to make an effort to increase my water intake. I also have a tendency to eat pickles when I'm hungry to stave off the hunger, I know this adds too much salt. Any ideas?

How about actually eating something when you're hungry? Pickles will "stave off hunger", but so will something like celery. Or carrots. Or snap peas. Or strawberries. None of those are soaked in salt.
    If sodium is your problem, why not just drink more water? I like to use flavored water packets and water them down, instead of using 16oz, I use 24oz.
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If I don't take my birth control I will most certainly gain weight! LOL.

Hee hee. I was just thinking that!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Huh. Guess the 140+ lbs I lost was just magicked away then. I ate a lot of salt, starch and sugar for the first 100lbs. I've been on hormone pills for over 10 years too. Changed them a few times. So, yeah. Bull.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Depends on the specific hormones and your body chemistry. Some people gain, some people actually lose weight (though you won't ever hear a woman complain about losing!). But it won't magically make you gain or lose weight- regardless, the calorie balance holds true. If you're conscious of the possibility and mindful of your intake and exercise, you should be fine.

I'm on testosterone, and I am sitting at 164.4 lbs; have been for a month or so now.
  • MDamoun
    MDamoun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Sarauk2sf for the lead. For sure I am going to check it out.