6 Things that Will STOP weight loss in its tracks!

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Ladies, can any of you weigh in [no pun intended] on five? I'm on HRT..

Depends on the specific hormones and your body chemistry. Some people gain, some people actually lose weight (though you won't ever hear a woman complain about losing!). But it won't magically make you gain or lose weight- regardless, the calorie balance holds true. If you're conscious of the possibility and mindful of your intake and exercise, you should be fine.

I'm on testosterone, and I am sitting at 164.4 lbs; have been for a month or so now.

I hope you're lifting weights like a maniac. If not start right away. Preferably yesterday!
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    makes sense...thanks (bump bump)
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I hope you're lifting weights like a maniac. If not start right away. Preferably yesterday!

I have HBS, so I'm pretty sure I'll be okay.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    4. Eating foods with a high glycemic index. People usually don't gain weight by ingesting fat, but from consuming too much sugar. Our bodies actually learn to store sugar as fat faster if we have sugar addictions, instead of metabolizing it. So stop with the starchy foods, alcohol, pastas, breads, and the obvious cookies and cake. If you must have pasta dishes try to substitute with quinoa spaghetti noodles. Wean your body so that you aren't so sensitive to sugar.
    Sorry but I disagree with this one especially on the bolded part. We still need those starchy carbs such as brown rice, potato, corn, beans etc. & those are excellent post-workout meals especially after a weight lifting session to replenish lost glycogen in our muscles.

FYI quinoa is also a starchy carb. The only difference is that it contains more protein than grains. You just mentioned replacing pasta with this one.
    You missed the memo. Carbs are the enemy!!
  • velvetboxed
    Options
    I thought going gluten free, unless you had an allergy, was bad for you?
    Truly just wondering.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    This whole gluten free thing is ridiculous. There is no reason to cut out gluten from your diet unless your doctor tells you to do so.

Birth control.. okay, I can see how that would apply to some. Personally, I'm intolerant to progestin based birth control. I balloon up and hide in a dark room all day. But others don't get those effects with that type of birth control. As others have posted, its about finding what's right for you.

To lose weight, eat at a deficit and get off your bum. The end.
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    4. Eating foods with a high glycemic index. People usually don't gain weight by ingesting fat, but from consuming too much sugar. Our bodies actually learn to store sugar as fat faster if we have sugar addictions, instead of metabolizing it. So stop with the starchy foods, alcohol, pastas, breads, and the obvious cookies and cake. If you must have pasta dishes try to substitute with quinoa spaghetti noodles. Wean your body so that you aren't so sensitive to sugar.

It is true that people who are diabetic do need to watch these foods carefully and that a low GI diet can be beneficial even for those who are not diabetic.

However, you've lumped all kinds of bread and pasta with cookies and cake which is not true:

From Diabetes Care:
    "The results confirm the low GI of pasta."
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/9/4/401.full.pdf

The better figure you want to use, however, is glycemic load which really calculates how the body responds per serving:
    Here's a handy chart:
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

You will notice pumpenickle bread, baguettes have low GLs. Fettucine is at 15, which is medium:

Also, glycemic load can also be calculated for a meal. There's a reason you want to get the right portions of carbs, proteins and veggies in a meal--it's to balance everything out.

Have Chef Boyardee alone, you may come out with a high GL. A little fettucine, a little meat, some veggies--probably a low GL meal.
    Turkey on a baguette? Probably low GL.

You get the point--it's not as simple as the media makes it out to be.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If you have any other experiences that cause plateaus please add it in the comment section and please add me as your buddy!!!!

Most plateaux aren't! Weight loss is rarely a straight-path graph. If it were, there would be a magic one-size-fits-all formula.

Generally, if we move more and eat less, we will lose weight. But for most folks there comes a point where your body adjusts to the calorific intake vs. the energy expended. It's the same as when you were overweight.

Don't confuse salt with sodium. Gluten is not everybody's enemy. Water comes from many sources including other foods & beverages.

One thing is a given, women have to deal with a hormone rollercoaster that men don't have to, so for men we rarely have to worry about what happens to our bodies every month.

It's great to share personal experience, but making claims that are anecdotal rather than based on any research is often confusing and misleading.

Good luck to everyone on their weight-loss voyage! :happy:
  • Arwen280804
    Arwen280804 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Some good tips. Especially the fat one, people in the UK that have seen 'the men who made us fat' will understand that too. Sugar is more of the enemy than fat!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who finds posts from this user more spammy than anything else? This one in particular is full of outdated misinformation.

I absolutely love how BCP's have no added explanation... so what - if I want to lose weight I have to go off the pill...puh-lease. Utter BS!!
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Lol, this poster is a bad, bad, bad advertisement for the crapshakes she's selling. Beachbody should be instructing its pimps to be a little more subtle in their copy.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Lol, this poster is a bad, bad, bad advertisement for the crapshakes she's selling. Beachbody should be instructing its pimps to be a little more subtle in their copy.

yes i just checked her profile and diary a load of bs
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    But she's not *just* a Beachbody coach - she also claims to be a nurse and a certified personal trainer. I'm not up to the moment on the CPT certification process, but I'd hope that somebody who's earned that title would have a little more actual knowledge about training and nutrition rather than spouting the same misinformation and broscience you see spewed all over the internet.
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    The contraception one is bull. I have been on the pill for 5 years and have lost almost 30lb since April. You can still lose weight while on it, although it may not be as quick as others at least its a loss.. AND I dont get pregnant which would entitle more weight.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I disagree with this one especially on the bolded part. We still need those starchy carbs such as brown rice, potato, corn, beans etc. & those are excellent post-workout meals especially after a weight lifting session to replenish lost glycogen in our muscles.

FYI quinoa is also a starchy carb. The only difference is that it contains more protein than grains. You just mentioned replacing pasta with this one.
    You missed the memo. Carbs are the enemy!!
    Carbs aren't the enemy, sorry. That memo is full of ignorant s***.
    Fruits & veggies are also carbs. Does that mean they're the enemy now???
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    But she's not *just* a Beachbody coach - she also claims to be a nurse and a certified personal trainer. I'm not up to the moment on the CPT certification process, but I'd hope that somebody who's earned that title would have a little more actual knowledge about training and nutrition rather than spouting the same misinformation and broscience you see spewed all over the internet.

Any idiot can become a pt. Standards are ridiculously lax, even here, a country some wankers like to call a nanny state. And there are way too many nurses who think that healing touch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healing_Touch is actually a valid course of treatment. That's what happens when you treat nurses as an afterthought and invest little in their training. So glad to see things changing.

You want to think that no one here is stupid enough to believe her rubbish and buy the crapshakes but... then you look at all the raspberry ketones and Mercola is god posts and think, yeah, she must be raking it in.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

It is true that people who are diabetic do need to watch these foods carefully and that a low GI diet can be beneficial even for those who are not diabetic.

However, you've lumped all kinds of bread and pasta with cookies and cake which is not true:

From Diabetes Care:
    "The results confirm the low GI of pasta."
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/9/4/401.full.pdf

The better figure you want to use, however, is glycemic load which really calculates how the body responds per serving:
    Here's a handy chart:
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

You will notice pumpenickle bread, baguettes have low GLs. Fettucine is at 15, which is medium:

Also, glycemic load can also be calculated for a meal. There's a reason you want to get the right portions of carbs, proteins and veggies in a meal--it's to balance everything out.

Have Chef Boyardee alone, you may come out with a high GL. A little fettucine, a little meat, some veggies--probably a low GL meal.
    Turkey on a baguette? Probably low GL.

You get the point--it's not as simple as the media makes it out to be.
    I'm diabetic & while I do need to be more watchful of starchy carbs but I was never told to eliminate it completely especially now that I'm lifting weights. Starchy carbs are best to be eaten after workout to replenish the lost glycogen in our muscles.

What we should try to avoid or if possible eliminate are refined carbs such as white bread, white pasta, white rice, sugary cereals & instant oatmeals. They're devoid of fiber & nutrition. Yes cereals contain more sugar than fiber which is what they always advertise.
  • papate
    papate Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Well you are almost all saying what has been my mantra -
    Calories IN verses calories. OUT....

So why am I getting the grief?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    5. Hormone supplementation such as birth control pills.

Right.. I'm going to go off my birth control and trade having pretty much non-existant periods for ones that are heavy and full of debilitating cramps....:noway:

Birth Control affects everyone differently.. some have issues, some don't.

I personally didn't.. and don't see no reason to go off until I do.