what started it all for you?

Options

Replies

• lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in a wheelchair at the orthopedists office. He looked at my xrays and said " you need two new hips and because of years of dysplasia, you need work rebuilding the pelvis but I can't do it at your weight. If you sit in that chair too long, you will lose the muscles you need to ever walk again. Good luck". So it was lose weight or spend the rest of my life disabled and dependent on my husband to do what I used to do. I went home, started my gazillionth diet then decided on gastric bypass. It was just the help I needed to lose the 150 pounds I had been carrying for decades--and to get me out of the wheelchair. Good luck on finding the motivation that works for you. My life was harder and my disability worse by severe obesity.
  • Bravyn
    Bravyn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    For me, it was when I realized i could no longer run around with my kids. I hated feeling like this, and new then I needed to change.
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    After gaining and losing the same 30-35 pounds, I was once again approaching the 200lb mark once again. I made a decision that I wouldn't see a 2 at the beginning of my weight then, or ever.

(for those who aren't in one-derland, PLEASE don't be offended by this comment. With my height, and my job...there is no reason I should have let myself go that far without have a some offspring to blame it on)
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I got divorced and wanted to start a new life.
    Decided that my happiness and the happiness of my children was more important than anything else.
    I started the gym the next day and MFP a couple weeks later.
    Best move I ever made..
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of me taken from behind and my butt was enormous!:sick:
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    What happened in your life to make you want to loose weight and be healthier? Was there anything specific or just something you woke up one morning and wanted to do?

I know I'm overweight and have been for about 13 years now ... I know I should exercise more but can't find the motivation to ... I know the things I eat are bad for me ... but I eat them anyway

There is a big part of me that would love to just wake up and be thinner and fit and healthy and eat better etc.. etc... but everytime I think about doing it it all becomes too hard and I dont bother. Really struggling to remember to put all the things I eat in here every day and just when I had started getting of the train a stop earlier and walking to work I'm now crook and can't walk without coughing up a lung.

All these things "i know" I should do ... but can't seem to make it happen ... ever??

I suppose the question you need to ask yourself is do I like where I am today? If the answer is not then you need to change it...so whats holding you back? Write it down, fear of failure, fear of success, fear of where this may lead you...peeling back the layers. I find if you can work out when you become overweight or unfit....find the trigger point this will help you start. What happened in your life at that time?

For me this is a lifelong commitment to me...not a short term fix. I also never want to be the fat mom like my mom was and give my kids a poor outlook on fitness and health I also want to know how hard I can train and where it will lead me....

Find a small goal and aim for it, find the next goal and aim for it...so getting off a stop early is a goal....keep going.

Logging keeps you honest - commit yourself to that...No one else will do this for you

Cheers
  • risingsprings
    risingsprings Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was walking quite a few miles in November/December and yet was getting stiffer and sorer each day. There were times when I would come home from a walk and sit down for dinner and then have great difficulty even getting up off a stool. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed w/ Fibromyalgia. I decided right there and then that if I was going to hurt THIS bad, it was going to be for a reason. I began 1-1-12. I joined a ladies boot camp (scariest thing EVER!!!), downloaded a c25k program, and began taking step aerobics classes. On 1-1-12, I couldn't run for 1 min and it would take me an hour to get 3 miles in. On May 5, I ran my first 5k in Disney World! =) Actually right before the race I ran 4.25 miles in about 54 minutes. I have now lost 45#, well over 24" all over and though I still have days where my entire body hurts, all I have to do is pick up a bag of cement or something similar that weighs 40# and I know I'm doing just fine! =)
    My doctor asked me at about 26# lost what was my motivation?
    I told her "You pissed me off with that diagnosis!"
    :wink:
    Whatever works!
  • Rabbitfeet
    Rabbitfeet Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I seen pictures of myself and looked truly awful! Also none of my clothes fit me anymore. Starting to fit back into my wardrobe again but even when I fit into everything I will still be overweight. Just need to keep going.

A "friend" of mine constantly calls me fat but in a nice way if there is such a thing. One of her compliments being I am the prettiest big girl she has ever seen. Also she asked me where I got my top cause she really liked it, but then added I wonder would they have it in my size did you get it in the special section? I know this is a stupid reason but I will see her in september for the first time in 6 months and I want to feel good about how I look.

Also i am good friends with the local doctor one night we were out drinking and he gave me a whole string of compliments, practically calling me perfect and then tacked on the end, yeah you just need to lose a stone and a half at least.

So I have a number of reasons I have fell off the wagon but I am dedicated to not giving up this time :)
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It took a co-worker in my new department (at the time) to actually confront me about it. Friends and family have said stuff before, but I had paid no heed to it. That co-worker became my workout buddy and we became very good friends!
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I looked in the mirror one day and thought: "I do not want to be this f*cking fat for the rest of my life, time to get skinny". I started off by doing a water fast for two days, I know it wasn't the healthiest but it helped shrink my stomach (it was used to between 2500-5000 calories) and understand how to control my hunger a bit more.
  • Stinaa91
    Stinaa91 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    because I've been fat my whole life, or at least as much as I can remember. I'm sick of hating the way I look and feeling depressed about it.

When I start to have a family, I don't want to be a fat pregnant girl. I know thats dumb but I want to be able to tell I'm pregnant, not one of those girls you can't tell, being healthy while pregnant was a huge factor too.

My boyfriends ex fiance. I KNOW STUPID. but she lost a lot of weight. and I have always felt that she was better than me, even though my boyfriend is persistent to tell me she's not and never will be. I always have that little thing in the back of my mind saying I want to look better than her. I know its dumb and stupid, but its honestly what gave me that little push over the edge to do it.

For all the people who said I couldn't, or all the people who have ever talked **** to me, or behind my back about how I looked ( its tough growing up especially when people are criticizing the way you look). To look hot at my wedding when that day finally comes. :]
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and PCOS 10 years ago. I have always had low sugars and never had to much of an issue with my diabetes. Around Christmas time My sugars got out of control, no matter what I did I couldn't get it under control. I decided right there that I needed to change my eating habits, I switched the way I ate and got my sugars under control and in the process I lost 80lbs. I got preg and had to stop working out (very high risk pregnancy) and I gave into cravings and would use the "ohh I'm eating for two, so it's okay" I gained about 10lbs back, and then on May 19th I suffered my 6th miscarriage. A few weeks later It just "clicked" I gotta get this weight off, it is ruining my life. I refuse to let this weight run my life any long-I am in control!!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    My diabetic doctor telling me that the foods I'm eating are killing me...I knew that the rate I was going I'd be dead soon way to soon. I have followed my doctors orders to the T and have not looked back yet. I go to see him on Wed. and hope all is well. I feel so much healthier. Can't wait to look in the mirror and actually fit in that mirror for one and see the thin person I buried come out to play.
  • Storey621
    Storey621 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    After I got married I knew I had gained weight, but I just didn't realized how much. My husband and I were struggling financially but I despereately needed new pants. So I saved up for $40 jeans. They were the only ones I had and it was winter time so I wore them everyday. Naturally they would get worn quickly but a week later, I had discovered 2 holes on my inner thighs from my thighs being so big and rubbing together. I was so embarrased when I told my husband. The store was nice enough to take them back and give me a new pair but this time I got a size smaller forcing myself into them everymorning, but that was my way of making myself lose weight.
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Several things for me...
    1. I want to have a 2nd child before its too late. 1st pregnancy, although I was slightly overweight had many complications.
    2. I hated meeting new people with how I looked, I was embarrassed.
    3. I want to be able to watch my children grow up.
    Not to mention I was just not healthy. Aches and pains all over!
  • jumadey
    jumadey Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was in the States for six weeks in spring. Let's just say I ate... ate very well.

Came back to the UK and was determined to drop what I gained so I re-joined MFP. But then I started thinking 'why stop there?!'
  • xxempress
    xxempress Posts: 122
    Options
    Sister asked me to be a bride's maid for her wedding in October -BOOM, eveything clicked after that.
    Got 3 more months to shred &look better then I did in high school.
  • suzywuzy90
    suzywuzy90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and thought 'This is NOT who I want to be.'
    Same here.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself and my face was all bloated...I was like damn...gotta fix this
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    I just got hurt at work and was turning 40 all at the same time. Although I am overweight, I am lucky that I am pretty healthy. I was afraid that if I was in worse shape and got hurt at work that things would not have turned out as well as they did.
    Turning 40 also meant to me that this is the last and final time I was going to lose weight and just get it done. Between those two things, something just clicked for me. Even though I am frustrated the scale hasn't moved in a a couple of weeks, I am still going to keep going with working out and eating healthier. I am not giving up. Like I said, something clicked.
    You have to want to lose the weight, be motivated and committed for else it won't happen. Good luck!