Beer!

Options

Replies

• tubway
    tubway Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I find that if I drink a Guinness I feel like I've consumed 2 to 3 light beers and an 11.2 oz bottle of Guinness only has 125 calories. Before starting my weight loss journey I was a heavy vodka drinker. If you like vodka you can mix with sparkling water and some lemon juice or a little bit of fruit juice for a drink that's around 100 calories (if you pour em the way they say to with 1 oz vodka rather than the way I pour em) I decided to cut out alcohol 2 weeks ago but I have certainly lost weight before while still consuming alcohol. You just have to account for it like it's food and burn it off exercising! In college I used to exercise just so I could drink. :-)
  • littlemoonsandy
    littlemoonsandy Posts: 1,930
    Options
    Mmmmm beer..i havent been able to give them up. I just exercise my *kitten* off so i can consume them without guilt.
  • danclose1981
    Options
    I do enjoy a good ale or several before and after the football when I can afford to go, but luckily for my belly the season ended in May.
    Did go to a friendly match last weekend, which involved 5 or 6 pints, but when taking into consideration the 80 odd minutes I was walking around I wasn't far off breaking even.

Volunteering on the bar at the Worcester beer festival in a few weeks will be a difficult one to even out, but if I'm extra good that week and go for a run in the morning I don't see it really setting me back.

So I'm definitely seeing beer as a reward for good behaviour at the moment. A damn fine reward it'll be too :)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice....but I love beer and vodka. :bigsmile:
  • tberend
    tberend Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh my, you've hit my weak spot. I consume too many liquid calories in the form of beer and wine. Basically cut it all out about three weeks ago and now I actually measure out any drink I might have as a splurge. It's sad and pathetic to me, but I know it is the right thing to do. Before MFP, my husband and I would split a bottle of wine without blinking and be up for a second bottle in no time. We've cut back extensively, but I still wish I was drinking a glass of wine every night with dinner or enjoying beers by the pool. Good luck.
  • Jeramie1
    Jeramie1 Posts: 8
    Options
    I have a nasty habit of drinking a few beers and then eating just before I crawl into bed. One thing I do is reheat a healthy home cooked meal i.e. chicken and broccoli with rice is always my "go to". That way I don't get a frozen pizza or get something delivered. Also, try to have 1 less beer than you planned/normally have. You will save about a hundred cals from one less which will add up over time, and binge eating is probably the biggest issue with gaining weight while drinking. I leave a couple bites on the plate rather than eating an enormous amount. Portion control after a few too many cocktails is my biggest downfall lol.
    I would love to hear other people tips or tricks as well!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am not a big beer lover, but i do love some rum! Which is lower in calories than vodka, funny seeing as how it is made out of sugar cane
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just love how that topic just grabbed my attention. I am guilty of drinking too many of my calories. ;(
    I have switched to light beer. Whenever I have a craving I drink water or flavored sparkling water first and reevaluate my craving before indulging. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I religiously record my calories and if I am planning to drink, I make sure there is room in my calorie plan for the day. Good luck!!
  • healthyfat
    healthyfat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Love this topic.
    I really enjoy beer. The good, high calorie beer. IPA's, etc. Tried for a long time to limit it to 1 or 2 each night but, have been hitting a weight plateau. I had to bite the bullet and try to cut back any alcohol to once a week. As soon as your body gets alcohol, it burns it first then your food. Hoping cutting it way down will help but, I love a beer or cocktail before dinner each night.
  • DrewLundgren
    DrewLundgren Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Like many of you, I also like beer. Unfortunately I like the heavier porters and stouts that are full of flavor (calories). It was Ben Franklin who said, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." How can you argue with that wise guy. And you've seen the pictures of him with a bit of a beer gut. I really go need to drift away from liquid calories.
  • tkz65
    tkz65 Posts: 22
    Options
    Lovvve my beer!!! I have switched to Budweisers select 55 and save calories to drink it on the weekends only. Its been a real struggle, my favorite food with my beer is pizza. I can still do it on 1200 calories if I buy papa murphy's delight! Good luck, we all have our demons!
  • vilmafraguada
    vilmafraguada Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't do beer but love my wine!
  • jgoutcher
    jgoutcher Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm feelin ya...it sucks, I like to polish off some beer on the weekends and I think you just have to force yourself to work out extra hard that day and stick to lower cal food. I want to try Budweiser 55 but can't find it :(
  • jgoutcher
    jgoutcher Posts: 4
    Options
    Is it any good?
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Oh boy do I know about this! I would drink a few after dinner and the kid was asleep, and then start eating to counter the effects of the alcohol. I could eat great all day long and then blow it over a few hours of snacking and drinking. I stopped drinking alone for a month. It was hard at first because I really enjoyed kicking back at the end of the day with a drink, but the commitment paid off. Now if I plan on having a drink because my boyfriend is over or I'm hanging with the neighbors, I work it into my diary. It's been great for me. Not only have I lost weight and regained control over my drinking, I'm also at a point where I can just enjoy one beer or one glass of wine alone.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Is it any good?

Do you like the average watery American Lager? If so, then sure, knock yourself out... but you're much better off to find a delicious Kolsch and just make room for the calories.
  • littlealp
    littlealp Posts: 12
    Options
    I do enjoy a good ale or several before and after the football when I can afford to go, but luckily for my belly the season ended in May.
    Did go to a friendly match last weekend, which involved 5 or 6 pints, but when taking into consideration the 80 odd minutes I was walking around I wasn't far off breaking even.

Volunteering on the bar at the Worcester beer festival in a few weeks will be a difficult one to even out, but if I'm extra good that week and go for a run in the morning I don't see it really setting me back.

So I'm definitely seeing beer as a reward for good behaviour at the moment. A damn fine reward it'll be too :)
    Ha ha love it, ive managed 3 sober nights in a row, a miracle in this lovely sunshine. I have decided to attempt a coors light night friday and try this water theory. Wish me luck!
  • littlealp
    Options
    I'm feelin ya...it sucks, I like to polish off some beer on the weekends and I think you just have to force yourself to work out extra hard that day and stick to lower cal food. I want to try Budweiser 55 but can't find it :(
    Its bloomin lovely, Supermarkets have it but not many pubs seem to yet from where I have been lol
  • littlealp
    Options
    Too many good answers to reply to individually, thanks everyone. God I love Lager!

Bring on Friday ;D
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Its bloomin lovely, Supermarkets have it but not many pubs seem to yet from where I have been lol
    I have to admit, I like it best of all of the light beers I've tried, even those with more calories. I can usually even manage it without a lime. :) In addition to the benefit of less calories, the lower alcohol content will allow you to LOOK like you're keeping up with your friends but after 3 or 4 of them you probably won't even have a buzz.