Is smartphones killing your relationship?

Options
calvert6183
calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
I read an article on how cellphones are ruining marriages, friendships, and causing people to become antisocial. Ive noticed so many people cant even walk, eat, swim, order food in a restaurant, spend quality time with their kids, hang out friends without being on their phones. Ive seen people trip and fall, run into cars, bump into people because of it. It seems people just dont talk or interact anymore.

A study just came out and it showed 8 percent will be on their phones during sex and then another study showed most women would pick their iPhone instead of their boyfriend if they had to choose. Thats crazy.

I know many people who do the online dating hate this crap. One woman got a yoga instructor fired cause she demands all phones be let outside and one broke the rule and got a look from the instructor and then she got fired for it. Its like that Toyota comercial, "thats not a real puppy". Is a good life now all about facebook, twitter, and texting.

So whats your take on this? I have always been curious to ask someone who is always on their phone and ask who are texting all day? Is that your hobby? I dont get it. I dont take my phone out anymore cause I dont want to be a zombie, words with friends was getting me, now I live my life and enjoy my real friends.

btw, I made a grammer error and wanted to change it but ut wouldn't let me so im sorry to offend the uptight prissy chicks who always feel the need to call people out. I guess they are perfect. never uses slang, never shorten words like lol, and never make mistakes.

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I think it really has become an addiction for some people.

I think I was addicted to Facebook for a while. I deleted my account that I got my Senior year of college about 7 years ago. It was SO weird. I went through this weird mourning stage. I felt like an idiot. And I have to admit, I do miss interacting with my friends from college that I don't see often or family that lives away.

As far as a hobby, yes (even though I think it's crazy).....my students tell me that texting is one of their hobbies all the time.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it can negatively affect your relationship!
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't know why... but this bothers me... lol

"Is smartphones killing your relationship?"

Should be:

"Are smartphones killing your relationship?"

Sorry, Thank you, and Continue =)
  • chrischinchilla
    chrischinchilla Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Nope! Making it stronger by staying easily connected in a variety of ways, from games to video chats!
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't know why... but this bothers me... lol

"Is smartphones killing your relationship?"

Should be:

"Are smartphones killing your relationship?"

Sorry, Thank you, and Continue =)

hahah I was just going to say that. Thank you.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

A study just came out and it showed 8 percent will be on their phones during sex

seriously?????? wow something is not right there!!!!!
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    I'd say no...mostly because I don't have smartphone or a relationship
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i'm antisocial.
    i don't get cell service at my house ;(
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It's a problem for my fiance and I (but moreso me). We will be sitting on the couch watching a movie, while both of us are on our iPhones. We check Facebook, MFP and emails while out at a restaurant, in bed, eating meals... it's pretty appalling. I really need to cut back on how much time I spend online, especially as I'm online all day at work too.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My smartphone has greatly improved my relationship with my boyfriend. When I get tried of him, I just plug in my headphones and tune him out! Our fights have decreased to zero! :drinker:

Ok, joking aside, this:
    A study just came out and it showed 8 percent will be on their phones during sex

Is wild! I would kick him out of bed so fast!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    A phone was originally invented for people to talk to one another. The cell phone was invented for people to talk without being tethered to a landline.

Texting is far too frequently used. It is really best for the simplest of message exchanges and in no way should it be thought of as a relational development tool. I don't think text messaging has enhanced the quality of human relationships. In fact, I believe that it has de-personalized many processes and made us ruder to one another.

Do we really need to be close to the Internet all the time? Is there really a need for an app for that? Have smartphones better our lives more meaningful? No is the answer to all those questions. The essence of life is not found on a smartphone.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Yes and no...

I think it is making people antisocial, and making things too 'easy' on people. Earlier this year and last I was using online dating, and I kinda of enjoyed we could text for a bit before talking on the phone, but I got DUMPED via text message, like serious? We don't even have that respect anymore -- well he was a loser but you know what I mean.

With my current relationship, we do text alot when it's appropriate to do so, but I make sure we also take time to talk on the phone as well. I don't want to date a cellphone. But on some levels, it can help too.... romantically (that's all I will say haha)...

But it is so true, I saw a picture/post on FB the other day that said, do you wake up and check your phone like you would read the morning paper ... or something of this nature.... and yes it is so true, I do, do that.... I would say I use mine alot - I mean email, texts, MFP, facebook, weather, its all there.... but I am not obsessed by anymeans... IE I haven't touched my phone in a couple hours.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I find this is true.
    I cannot hang out with most of my friends without them being on their phone's texting people the entire time. I'm sorry but if I'm going to take time out of my day to see you and do stuff with you, you should be polite enough to put the phone away for the time being.

I have a friend who likes to have a bunch of people over to play rock band on occasion, and he will actually be texting while were playing. Don't invite us over if you can't put your phone away for a while. :/
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yeah "Is smartphones...." was killing me too LOL

I do believe they can affect social communication skills. Nowadays people text over having phone conversations and I know there are plenty of times my friends and I are sitting around just playing on our phones the whole time. I think many of us have an unhealthy attachment to our smartphones. What did we do before we had this technology? We visited people, we picked up the phone to talk to people. We weren't distracted all the time, watching phones like a hawk, and answering every notification that comes through.

I don't have any relationships that are suffering behind it, but I'm sure in marriages and other serious relationships, it can indeed become a serious distraction.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    nope.
    his Xbox is.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    They only do if you let them. Maybe it's because I'm in my late 20s and didn't grow up with either social media or cell phones. I think like any new technology, both can be life enhancing when used moderately.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Killing the relationship? No. Affecting it? Yes. I don't actually have a "smartphone" I just have a POS burner with minimal internet access. I was addicted to Facebook. For a long time. I've only recently stopped spending so much time on there and my relationship with my husband has definitely improved. I was always in a bad mood when I was on Facebook because of all of the ignorant bull people post, but yet I would stay on there all day and keep getting more and more pissed. Now that I don't have that making me mad all the time how could my relationship not improve? Of course I backed off there the same time I started logging here and my mood was improved because I started losing weight as well...
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    if two people have the same technology and have the same level of connectedness to the world, there should be no problem.

it's when it's not evenly balanced is when problems start. you need a compatible addiction. ;)
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i was with a guy for 4 months that was constantly on his phone. all the time! during dinner, during foreplay, while we were cuddling, at the movies, at the mall, trying to have a conversation, everything! i hated it! it turns out that he was constantly on the phone with his other girlfriend... needless to say, that didn't last long. i and the other girl found out about each other and both dumped him for being a horrible person.

my current bf hardly uses his phone, leaves it in his car, lets the battery die, and i love it! all of his attention is always on me, just the way it should be. :tongue:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    And just for fun...

I was out of highschool before the basic cell phone came out (not those large ugly things)
    I was in my late twenties when we started texting..

God I feel old..
    So it blows my mind today teenagers even have a cell phone.