guns or no guns?

Options

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I didnt get in the last thread so I'm sure its been said before..
    guns dont kill people, people kill people...

^^^This
    But guns and bombs allow people to kill people in mass. When was the last time someone went on a stabbing spree and killed or injured 100 people? We don't need an all out gun ban. what we need is to be smarter about who can buy and/or own a weapon and what kinds of weapons they should be able to own.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I think hunting is BS but I added it in there to appeal to American ~ideals. Guns aren't necessary for the general public & the argument concerning 'those who couldn't get guns legally would get them illegally' is also crap. Sure a minority would but I'm going to go out on a limb here & assume people like the college guy who just shot up a movie theatre don't have ~connections.

Seriously, why would anybody need a gun?

'omgzzz to protect ourselves!11!' - from what exactly? Oh yeah, other morons with guns...

Ignorance, ignorance, and more ignorance. All mixed up in a big glass of ignorance.

The fact that you're so blinded and don't think people are capable of getting black market guns is mind boggling. If someone wants to commit a crime they're going to get a hold of a gun whether it's legal to own one or not. All gun restriction does is take away the ability to protect yourself. Also, what makes you assume that because he's in college that he can't have "connections"? Drugs are rampant on campuses and where illegal drugs can be obtained so can illegal firearms...

Where did I say I didn't think people were capable of it? 'If someone wants to commit a crime...' no ****, Sherlock. If someone wants to commit a crime why would legalities be an issue? The point is prevention, making it as difficult as possible; guns are going to be more easily obtainable illegally if they can be bought legally, that's not ignorance it's logic. Thankfully I live in a country where the fear of being stabbed outweighs the fear of being shot.

So if abandoning the right to free speech would save lives, you would be all for it? How about the right to due process? If somehow it can save lives, we should repeal it?

Oh that's perfect! Hell yes I would be for it. I fully disagree with the right to free speech. The Westboro Baptist Church are a perfect example, they're banned from entering this country as they'e classed as terrorists but if they were allowed to do their disgusting protests over here, they would be arrested & rightly so. As it's classed as a hate crime, if I were to spout off racist/homophobic/sexist etc rubbish to someone in a threatening manner I could be arrested & I am more than okay with that. I have no idea what right to due process is.

So you're ok with the gov telling you how you can think. We have a word for that here-drone
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

so if there were no guns, this guy would have entered the theatre and attempted mass murder using bits of tape and alength of rope??

what nonsense. people WITH guns kill people.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm thinking of getting this one: http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-11-87/model-11-87-sportsman-super-mag-synthetic.aspx

thoughts? it would be my 'beginner/basic' shotgun. i'm told it's good for basic shooting, skeet, target, etc.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

so if there were no guns, this guy would have entered the theatre and attempted mass murder using bits of tape and alength of rope??

No people kill people plain and simple. Take away guns you dont take away murder.

If he had blown the entire theater up, would it had made any difference?
  • angryguy77
    Options

And if a number of people disregarded the sign on the door that prohibited guns, he might have been stopped.

Ever wonder why these guys don't go to shooting ranges to murder people? Why is it they pick places where guns are expressly prohibited? Hmmmmmm
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    That is the funniest thing I have read on this thread except for the person that will use a paint gun for protection. I wasnt talking to you when I made my comments about liberals. HOWEVER, you proved my point when you said I should calm down on the liberal hatred, so I will assume you are liberal, and I already know you arent a fan of guns, so I will surmise that you are a gun hating liberal. See how easy it is.
    I'm also a proponent of the death penalty. What am I now? You can't assume my political viewpoint based on one view I hold (unless, of course, that view is that liberals/conservatives do this bad thing and liberals/conservatives do that bad thing and ALL liberal/conservatives are bad. Therefore, I can probably safely assume that you are conservative.).

I am a Libertarian. We take self-responsibility very seriously. Something that you show utter lack of, but we cant expect much from someone still living with their parents, with no family to provide for and to protect.

You speak of these issues like you have experienced them, however you still lead a extremely sheltered, low responsibility life.
    How do I show lack of self-responsibility or responsibility in general?
    Because I'm a 19-year-old who works 35+ hours a week to feed myself and pay for my college education and attends classes full-time during the fall and spring semesters and part-time during the summer? You're right. I'm SO irresponsible. I should definitely have three kids who I don't give a damn about and not have a job at all, like most of the other girls I graduated with.

I quote one of your posts.

Must be tough contributing 50 bucks to food a month:

Topic: How much money do you spend on being Fit?? Sun 06/24/12 09:11 AM
    I spend nothing on my gym membership or Crossfit. I spend like $30 a year on vitamins and maybe $75 on protein?
    I buy new running shoes every 3 or 4 months at 70-110 a pop, so around $300 there, and another $150-200 on clothes and socks.
    I live with my parents still, so they do buy most of my food, but I put in around $50 a month since they don't buy much vegetarian or healthy food.
    So, in total, around $1200.
    Or you can read the whole thing and see that I spend around $1200 a year on fitness alone. I spend $5500+ for school and other necessities. I only make around $5000 a year after taxes, so go ahead and figure out that math. Luckily, I started working right when I turned 16 and saved up, plus I don't necessarily need to be paying back my loans right away.
    I pay for the things I need and want. I just don't pay rent for 3 months out of the year. How, pray tell, does that make me irresponsible?
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options

^^^This
    But guns and bombs allow people to kill people in mass. When was the last time someone went on a stabbing spree and killed or injured 100 people? We don't need an all out gun ban. what we need is to be smarter about who can buy and/or own a weapon and what kinds of weapons they should be able to own.

In America, I can't remember a time where someone went on a stabbing spree. But if you look at China, Taiwan, South Korea, India, Russia, and several other European and Asian countries there's stabbing sprees going on all the time. Don't believe me, go to a website called liveleak and there's videos of these things happening.

I agree that we should be smarter on who we give guns to, but how? They already have it to where people with felony charges can't get a gun, someone with a restraining order can't get a gun, as well as other regulations. What other restrictions do you think there should be?
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I assumed this would be a thread of people showing off their arm development. You have all let me down.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    Hold people accountable for their actions instead of making excuses for them.

376371_394536947272696_701836632_n.jpg
  • TheFitFireman
    Options

And if a number of people disregarded the sign on the door that prohibited guns, he might have been stopped.

Ever wonder why these guys don't go to shooting ranges to murder people? Why is it they pick places where guns are expressly prohibited? Hmmmmmm

That's a really good point, I never thought about that before.
  • StephanieDJL
    StephanieDJL Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think hunting is BS but I added it in there to appeal to American ~ideals. Guns aren't necessary for the general public & the argument concerning 'those who couldn't get guns legally would get them illegally' is also crap. Sure a minority would but I'm going to go out on a limb here & assume people like the college guy who just shot up a movie theatre don't have ~connections.

'omgzzz to protect ourselves!11!' - from what exactly? Oh yeah, other morons with guns...

Ignorance, ignorance, and more ignorance. All mixed up in a big glass of ignorance.

The fact that you're so blinded and don't think people are capable of getting black market guns is mind boggling. If someone wants to commit a crime they're going to get a hold of a gun whether it's legal to own one or not. All gun restriction does is take away the ability to protect yourself. Also, what makes you assume that because he's in college that he can't have "connections"? Drugs are rampant on campuses and where illegal drugs can be obtained so can illegal firearms...

Where did I say I didn't think people were capable of it? 'If someone wants to commit a crime...' no ****, Sherlock. If someone wants to commit a crime why would legalities be an issue? The point is prevention, making it as difficult as possible; guns are going to be more easily obtainable illegally if they can be bought legally, that's not ignorance it's logic. Thankfully I live in a country where the fear of being stabbed outweighs the fear of being shot.

So if abandoning the right to free speech would save lives, you would be all for it? How about the right to due process? If somehow it can save lives, we should repeal it?

Oh that's perfect! Hell yes I would be for it. I fully disagree with the right to free speech. The Westboro Baptist Church are a perfect example, they're banned from entering this country as they'e classed as terrorists but if they were allowed to do their disgusting protests over here, they would be arrested & rightly so. As it's classed as a hate crime, if I were to spout off racist/homophobic/sexist etc rubbish to someone in a threatening manner I could be arrested & I am more than okay with that. I have no idea what right to due process is.

So you're ok with the gov telling you how you can think. We have a word for that here-drone

How you think? You can think whatever the hell you like, once that thought turns into speech or action that directly affects or infringes on someone else's rights, then there's a problem.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

^^^This

In American, I can't remember a time where someone went on a stabbing spree. But if you look at China, Taiwan, South Korea, India, Russia, and several other European and Asian countries there's stabbing sprees going on all the time. Don't believe me, go to a website called liveleak and there's videos of these things happening.

I agree that we should be smarter to who we give guns to, but how do you determine who is deserving or not? They already have it to where people with felony charges can't get a gun, someone with a restraining order can't get a gun, as well as other regulations. What other restrictions do you think there should be?

QFT
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    I assumed this would be a thread of people showing off their arm development. You have all let me down.

Better?

243719_4187326966660_951481738_o.jpg?t=1343164434
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Guns kill, and we'd be a better country without them. But, that's never going to happen. There are too many gun nuts, and the NRA is so strong that most politicians don't even dare mention gun control.

What I don't get is why people are so shocked by these sorts of rampages. I wasn't shocked at all, and I won't be shocked when the next one happens. We've set up our country to facilitate exactly this sort of thing. Gun massacres will continue to happen and nothing will ever be done to put a stop to them.

So just get used to it, wait for the next one, and hope you're not caught in the crossfire.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    That is the funniest thing I have read on this thread except for the person that will use a paint gun for protection. I wasnt talking to you when I made my comments about liberals. HOWEVER, you proved my point when you said I should calm down on the liberal hatred, so I will assume you are liberal, and I already know you arent a fan of guns, so I will surmise that you are a gun hating liberal. See how easy it is.
    I'm also a proponent of the death penalty. What am I now? You can't assume my political viewpoint based on one view I hold (unless, of course, that view is that liberals/conservatives do this bad thing and liberals/conservatives do that bad thing and ALL liberal/conservatives are bad. Therefore, I can probably safely assume that you are conservative.).

I am a Libertarian. We take self-responsibility very seriously. Something that you show utter lack of, but we cant expect much from someone still living with their parents, with no family to provide for and to protect.

You speak of these issues like you have experienced them, however you still lead a extremely sheltered, low responsibility life.
    Because I'm a 19-year-old who works 35+ hours a week to feed myself and pay for my college education and attends classes full-time during the fall and spring semesters and part-time during the summer? You're right. I'm SO irresponsible. I should definitely have three kids who I don't give a damn about and not have a job at all, like most of the other girls I graduated with.

I spend nothing on my gym membership or Crossfit. I spend like $30 a year on vitamins and maybe $75 on protein?
    I buy new running shoes every 3 or 4 months at 70-110 a pop, so around $300 there, and another $150-200 on clothes and socks.
    I live with my parents still, so they do buy most of my food, but I put in around $50 a month since they don't buy much vegetarian or healthy food.
    Or you can read the whole thing and see that I spend around $1200 a year on fitness alone. I spend $5500+ for school and other necessities. I only make around $5000 a year after taxes, so go ahead and figure out that math. Luckily, I started working right when I turned 16 and saved up, plus I don't necessarily need to be paying back my loans right away.
    I pay for the things I need and want. I just don't pay rent for 3 months out of the year. How, pray tell, does that make me irresponsible?

Such a difficult life, full of heavy responsibility.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    While those with the freedom to own, purchase, carry the extreme type of assault guns, when do the rest of us get to have the right to pursue LIFE, liberty and happiness?

When your rights trumps another person's rights, then something is very wrong with the system and it needs to be fixed now.

There will always be kooks that take out their anger on other people, but with just a handgun that needs to be reloaded, at least the chances for killing more than one person is greatly reduced. We need to have the rights to not be fish in a barrel for the next one.

If you had someone close to you that was killed this senselessly, you'd want these automatic weapons gone. If we don't stop this, we will end up arming all of us until all hell breaks out and we shoot each other until someone launches their shoulder held dirty bomb launcher. Where will it stop?
  • angryguy77
    Options

How you think? You can think whatever the hell you like, once that thought turns into speech or action that directly affects or infringes on someone else's rights, then there's a problem.

It's already against the law to threaten bodily harm against people. Read his question again, he's not talking about threats etc.
    He's talking, at least how I understood it, about all speech. Due process is where you get the right to a trial.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Such a difficult life, full of heavy responsibility.
    Would you be happier if I moved out of my parents' house and started having a bunch of kids and went on welfare?
  • TheFitFireman
    Options
    Guns kill, and we'd be a better country without them. But, that's never going to happen. There are too many gun nuts, and the NRA is so strong that most politicians don't even dare mention gun control.

What I don't get is why people are so shocked by these sorts of rampages. I wasn't shocked at all, and I won't be shocked when the next one happens. We've set up our country to facilitate exactly this sort of thing. Gun massacres will continue to happen and nothing will ever be done to put a stop to them.

So just get used to it, wait for the next one, and hope you're not caught in the crossfire.

So guns walk around and kill people, there's not a person behind the trigger with a capable mind making the decision whether or not the gun will go off? That's news to me, phew, I'm glad I learned something today.

I guess you're right, we should compare gun massacres to I don't know, how about the massacre at the federal building from a bomb, or how about 9/11? Since 13 people (RIP) is comparable to hundreds and thousands of people who have died from mass bombings, why aren't you crying for the restriction of cleaning agents that can be made into bombs?... Take away guns and people will still kill with guns, how do you not understand that?