guns or no guns?

Options

Replies

2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Neither. Either way you are pissing people off.

better to be pissed off rather than pissed on. :flowerforyou:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    stats can:

c-g-4-eng.gif

So people still kill people without guns?

As you can see, they do. Unfortunately.

But still a lot less than with guns. And, although our rate of homocide without guns is higher (obviously), it's still less than America's.
    This data is inaccurate without corresponding population comparisons as well...

per 100,000 people..................search statscan, i am too lazy and bothered. prevalence is prevalence. the picture should give you a clear idea. this isn't my thesis and i will continue to be lazy.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    To the people saying the Batman tradgedy would have turned out differently if someone had a gun on them, I think you're living in a movie. Seriously. This is real life, NOT a movie.

Like someone would have saved the day and shot him down, and all would have been okay. Oh, really?

How about, if his LEGALLY OBTAINED guns didn't exist or weren't sold to him, those people wouldn't have been killed, least not by bullets.

You can't be serious. So you think that if James Holmes had been unable to buy his weapons at Bass Pro that he just would have said "well, maybe I won't commit this heinous crime after all. Probably going to be too much effort to find guns". Please. He just would have paid more and gotten even wilder ones from the underground dealers. He planned this for several years. You are being really naive.

Yep. Which is why this sort of thing happens on a regular basis in America and almost never here.

But it's just a coincedence, right?

Our wannabe gangsters find ways to get guns, and they kill their stupid little rivals. Rarely innocents, and when they do, it's not a mass shooting.

But it's all coincedence.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    If there were no guns how would my family bond? And one person in that theater with a gun could have stopped that sicko before that many people died.

Not necessarily... unless the person was an incredibly good shot... because the psycho was wearing a bullet proof vest and a riot helmet....

Do you think said madman focusing on one person, instead of randomly shooting into a crowd of 150 is better or worse of a situation?

Also, regardless of body armor...taking a pistol round will hurt/break ribs/knock wind out ect. Body armor does not make you invincible.

I get that... and I agree... but I don't think the other shooter (if one was around because seriously, who thinks, "Man, I better take my gun to the movies... there might be some psycho shooting up the place tonight!") would have been able to take him out as many seem to suggest... even if he was a good shot, there would be high risk for collateral damage, with people trying to escape.

Had this discussion with people at work. They know I train- extensively- in tactical shooting and they all said "Too bad you were not there- you could have stopped it" I told them nope- I would not have taken a shot- they all went :noway: and asked why not. The reasons was:

First off I am not a cop. I have no duty to protect and defend anyone but myself and my family. During an active shooter situation I am headed in the opposite direction and will engage ONLY if I have no choice (i.e. hes between me and the exit, I am a target, etc). Police are trained to respond with overwhelming force and shoot down an active shooter- I sure as hell dont want to be engaging the threat when the cop or another CCWer sees me, decides I am the threat and guns me down.

As for the Aurora shooter- no one can be condition Red all the time. I would never have expected that attack. Trying to engage this threat in a smoke filled, darkened theater with a strobe effect occuring from the movie still playing, a hundred plus people screaming and running everywhere, others on the ground bleeding out, other people in costume, gunshots muffled by the movie, plus the threat was wearing all black? How do you pick him out of all that in the time you have?

My training for an active shooter is to go for the head or four across the pelvis as many active shooters now wear body armor. This guy owuld have been a bear to bring down- he was wearing armor across the pelvis and a head shot in these conditions would be extremely difficult to make (plus his head was armored on most sides and a gas mask makes going for the head shot even more problematic). Add in the fact that I am a good guy- every bullet that leaves my muzzle has a lawyer attached to it. If I could have stopped the shooter but killed two innocents in the exchange I am looking at prison time and lawsuits. Plus a pistol versus rifle? no contest- I carry a pistol because I am not expecting a gun fight, if I am expecting one I am going for my rifle!

I'm pretty sure we're on opposing sides, but I like this. It's realistic.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    had someone been carrying during one of these tragic events...id be willing to bet the body count would be lower.
    try that *kitten* in NH, TX...any other big 2nd amendment state...

What state is Fort Hood in?

point goes to you. touche.

You are not allowed to carry firearms on a military base unless you are an MP.

thanks. i'm taking his point back lol.

thanks to you too mustgetmuscle!
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    To the people saying the Batman tradgedy would have turned out differently if someone had a gun on them, I think you're living in a movie. Seriously. This is real life, NOT a movie.

Like someone would have saved the day and shot him down, and all would have been okay. Oh, really?

How about, if his LEGALLY OBTAINED guns didn't exist or weren't sold to him, those people wouldn't have been killed, least not by bullets.

You can't be serious. So you think that if James Holmes had been unable to buy his weapons at Bass Pro that he just would have said "well, maybe I won't commit this heinous crime after all. Probably going to be too much effort to find guns". Please. He just would have paid more and gotten even wilder ones from the underground dealers. He planned this for several years. You are being really naive.

i actually think you are more naive. had he not had easy access he would have gotten less quality and less quantity. and had it taken him longer, may have been caught. when things are more difficult they don't always go as planned, they have to revise their plans. that is why gangsters here have their illegal guns, but they are few and far between and NO ONE is prepared to shoot someone that is being shot in the cross fire. he would have still planned something, probably, but would it be to the extent, the amount of deaths, as quickly as it was? i highly doubt it.

^
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Yep. Which is why this sort of thing happens on a regular basis in America and almost never here.

But it's just a coincedence, right?

Our wannabe gangsters find ways to get guns, and they kill their stupid little rivals. Rarely innocents, and when they do, it's not a mass shooting.

But it's all coincedence.

How do you disarm criminals?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    stats can:

c-g-4-eng.gif

Counting the seconds before someone says "Yeah but America has more people"...

Well having more people does increase the statistical likelihood of having a crazy person go on a shooting rampage.

it is factored in, it is per 100,000 people. we aren't laughing to be mean. we are laughing because the stats are correct and takes these things into account.

This graph even shows that non-fire arm related homecides are higher in this country than in the other three countries... and? We just have a higher homicide rate regardless of weapon. We probably still would regardless of whether or not we had stricter gun restrictions such as in the UK...
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    stats can:

c-g-4-eng.gif

So people still kill people without guns?

As you can see, they do. Unfortunately.

But still a lot less than with guns. And, although our rate of homocide without guns is higher (obviously), it's still less than America's.
    This data is inaccurate without corresponding population comparisons as well...

And we have a winner! Dammit, I forgot to time it though.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    england.png
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Why is this not locked yet???/

BTW......

I carry a gun everyday, because a policeman is too heavy.

When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Guns are only for killing, eh? Gonna have to disagree with you there.

I have, as I'm sure a lot of other people on this site have also, fired a gun MANY times in my life with zero intention of killing anything. Target shooting is a sport that has nothing to do with death. It just so happens to be a sport that has the added benefit of potentially saving my life if I'm attacked by a whacko. Much like martial arts and other self-defense sports that no one is suggesting we ban.

Yes, I'm from the U.S. and I am grateful to my country for the freedoms I have here. Just because some whack-jobs go nuts doesn't mean I'm ready to give them up.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Why is this not locked yet???/

BTW......

I carry a gun everyday, because a policeman is too heavy.

When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

We live in a time when pizza gets to your house faster than the police!
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    florida.png
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Pro-gun.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    How about this one.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/10/gun-crime-us-state

Murder rate with firearm statistics per 100,000

US Average - 2.84 per 100,000.

Texas - 3.14. per 100,000
    Washington - 1.38 per 100,000
    New York - 2.64.per 100,00

UK - 0.07 per 100,000.

Care to admit you are totally wrong?

Just for extra clarity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Intentional homicide rates by country (any weapon or method).

USA - 4.8 per 100,000

UK - 1.23 per 100,000.

Care to explain why that is then?.

To bad these stats do not take into account the number of homicides that were justifiable or in self-defense.
  • speshell4
    speshell4 Posts: 49
    Options
    PRO-GUNS!!!!
    Anti-Stupid People
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    PRO GUNS
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Pro.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Well...unless you're this guy:
    http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2012/07/20120721-160820.html

derpa derp.

Restricting laws so that bullets or hand guns are banned isn't going to stop gun violence.
    How many guns do you think are actually registered to the idiot gang members that are shooting up malls?
    They're acquired illegally most likely.

This^^.

Pro-gun Libertarian here.
    Being anti-gun is to give the government a monopoly on the usage of guns.

^^^ Exactly the reason why I am pro-gun.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Guns are fun, liberal weeny!