What's your favorite salad?

Options
countrygal2004
countrygal2004 Posts: 82 Member
I am getting a little bored with my "same old, same old" salad and I need some new ideas. What's your favorite? Recipe?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I accidently hit on a delicious combination for lunch today!

My lunch is usually based around a few staples, so I had a tomato and some chopped red pepper.
    I like using cottage cheese as a dressing, so I dolloped a few tablespoons of that in.

Then in the fridge I spied a leftover salad we'd made earlier in the week to go with a lamb tagine - it was made from cucumber, mint and flat leaf parsley. So I scraped the rest of that into my salad tub.

Wow, the combination of mint, tomato and cottage cheese was just amazing! I'd definitely be using those 3 together again.
  • GIAngel222
    GIAngel222 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Spinach, shaved almonds, goat cheese, strawberries and raspberry vinaigrette...Yummy!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Mixed greens, goat cheese crumbles, toasted pecans, red onion, grape tomatoes, balsamic vinegar/honey/herbs for dressing. I add grilled chicken if it's the main meal.

I get excited every fall when pomegranates are in season and I can throw the pomegranate aerils in a salad with blue cheese and walnuts.

Also - corn, black bean, green onions, cilantro and tomato tossed in lime juice.

Fresh caesar salads.

Basically, I can eat the hell out of some salad.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I love all types of salads and usually chuck what I have in the fridge in a bowl, but my fave is Lettuce, Cucumber, Tomato, Black olives, red onion, and a few chunks of feta cheese, mixed together with lemon juice, very yummy.
  • ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I eat salad everyday. Right now I'm loving mixed field greens with spinach, hard boiled egg, tomato, red pepper, grilled chicken all chopped up and tossed with Tzatziki sauce as the dressing. I also love the simplicity of putting either tuna or curried chicken salad over mixed greens.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Caesar Salad. I would rather have that than pain au chocolat or ice-cream.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Add new textures.... I often eat cabbage instead of lettuce (lasts longer in fridge too!), add apples, celery, raisins etc.

Chicken breast and beetroot also liven things up.

Mint, coriander etc are fantastic - really adds a dimension to flavour, as well as orange segments.

I wouldn't use all of these suggestions at once, lol, but pick and choose!
  • 2shoes123
    2shoes123 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I like romaine lettuce with grilled chicken, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers, red onions, black olives and balsamic dressing.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Strawberries and spinach with walnuts and crumbled feta cheese.
    For a dressing, try mixing even parts balsamic and red wine vinegar with a little olive oil and some toasted sesame seeds.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, a little bit of cheddar cheese, crumbled crisp bacon and yogurt bleu cheese dressing. Clocks in at around 250 calories. NOM.
  • Oranda
    Oranda Posts: 121
    Options
    saving for later. Thanks!
  • Reneefit135
    Reneefit135 Posts: 170
    Options
    Arugula is my FAV and can eat it alone with salad dressing add some avocado and its perfection! Hearty and filling, very low in calories
  • CindyGrey
    CindyGrey Posts: 10
    Options
    My salads are different everyday. The main thing I did was switch from using lettuce to making them with broccoli slaw mix instead. Then I add whatever I have around...some diced chicken, leftover pasta, other veggies and whatever else looks good.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Cajun chicken salad -

150g chicken breast
    cajun spice mix
    80-160g of spinach leaves depending on how much I've got left in the crisper!
    1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
    whatever vinegar looks good
    20g of sunflower seeds
    20g of stuffed green olives
    1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
    1/2 mediumish red onion

I just coat the chicken in the seasoning and bake. As I'm doing that, I toast the sunflower seeds. Then everything goes into a bowl with the sliced vegies and olives, is dressed and a little bit of salt is added to taste. So yummy!

~460 calories
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of 'everything salad' usually consists of (but is not limited to) baby spinach, tomato, red onion, white mushrooms, cucumber, some type of cheese,mozza or cheddar usually, some type of protein, chicken, or boiled egg ...and sometimes I throw in slivered carrots, beets, or whatever else is in the fridge :)
  • PHEFEY
    PHEFEY Posts: 1
    Options
    I love making chipotle inspired salads. Like shredded lettuce topped with suteed peppers and onions, chrilled chicken, some brown rice (sometimes cooked with cilantro), and salsa. If I'm feeling really inspired I'll top it with greek yogurt (in luei of sour cream) or guacamole. Delicious!
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amberlitaaa
    Options
    I throw pretty much anything into a salad. I like doing strawberrys, blueberries, melon, and oranges with grilled chicken. I'll usually do poppyseed or sweet vidalia dressing with that. Or, I'll just throw in reduced-sodium canned veggies like peas, garbanzo beans, black beans, corn, etc. Sunflower seeds are always good too! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    "tossed" salad..........................................:devil:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FITHEALTHY1
    FITHEALTHY1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    mixed greens, apples,blue cheese crumbles,pecans, raspberry vinagrette dressing-YUMO!