Online dating??

Options
sweetchildomine
sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
I was just curious about people's thoughts on dating websites. Do you look down on couples that say that they met online? Have you used a dating website before? How was your experience? I'm not gonna lie, I was on a dating site for a couple weeks, went on 4 dates and then deleted my profile due to my strange experiences lol. I thought I had found a half way decent guy and he took me to a sex store after dinner hahaha. Ummm....NOT OK!!! I also met a guy who was a good foot shorter than what his profile said. NOT JOKING. He was shorter than me and I'm only 5'2!!! lol The third date went ok but the next day the guy texted me LITERALLY 20 times while I was at work and since I didn't answer he emailed me AND sent me a message on facebook asking what he did wrong. NEXT lol The final guy I met up with just wanted to sit in my car and talk. SERIOUSLY? That was the point where I decided that I needed to delete my profile lol Anyway, that was just my experience with online dating. Anyone have success with it? Is it completely hopeless or do I just have bad luck?

Replies

• Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't look down on people that meet that way. Have been thinking about giving it a shot myself. Getting tired of going to the same bars and clubs having to scream over the music to try to have a conversation with women.

Have no experience with it though but interested in other peoples stories.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have used online dating. I used it many years ago and was with somone over 2 years.
    I most recently went back to it last year after I left my ex of 9 years. You do have alot of crap to weed thru, and you don't really know they are who they say they are until you meet and get to know them, but is the bar scene any different?

You will meet creaps, you will meet guys only looking for sex, blah blah... but you need to have your 'rules' in place and also, meet somewhere safe, etc. I met 4 people - 1 was nuts, 1 was fine but not my type, 1 I dated for a few months, and the last one is perfect and we have been together over 6 months.

It takes time, it takes effort, and it can be frusterating but it can be successful. I would never judge anyone who met someone online. This is the way of the world now, I would much rather use online dating than a bar anyday.

I have found that the free sites have alot of crap, but I paid for one of the sites too and its alot of the same guys. I had more success on the free sites.

Good luck!!!

ETA: before I met my current BF I had almost deleted my profile.. I am glad he responded to my ad. I am very selective of who I reply too, I let the guys come to me. Probably not always the best. I have also lost 84lbs so I bet if I put another ad today I would get ALOT of superficial men.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online and we've been married 3 1/2yrs. Soul mate for sure. Usually the people on paid sites (I used eharmony) aren't gonna waste their money being creeps
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online through a band's fan club.

I have always thought I was awesome, but I struggle with low self esteem. Meeting someone online took the physical aspect out of it for me and let me be myself.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    As a guy that is not weird or strange.. it works great.

Funny thing is EVERY girl I have met that tries it, has stories similar to the OP.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've tried it quite a bit and have met mostly really cool people. But it seems like all of the lasting relationships I've had were with people I met through friends or offline.
  • jran3
    jran3 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have used online dating. I used it many years ago and was with somone over 2 years.
    I most recently went back to it last year after I left my ex of 9 years. You do have alot of crap to weed thru, and you don't really know they are who they say they are until you meet and get to know them, but is the bar scene any different?

You will meet creaps, you will meet guys only looking for sex, blah blah... but you need to have your 'rules' in place and also, meet somewhere safe, etc. I met 4 people - 1 was nuts, 1 was fine but not my type, 1 I dated for a few months, and the last one is perfect and we have been together over 6 months.

It takes time, it takes effort, and it can be frusterating but it can be successful. I would never judge anyone who met someone online. This is the way of the world now, I would much rather use online dating than a bar anyday.

I have found that the free sites have alot of crap, but I paid for one of the sites too and its alot of the same guys. I had more success on the free sites.

Good luck!!!

ETA: before I met my current BF I had almost deleted my profile.. I am glad he responded to my ad. I am very selective of who I reply too, I let the guys come to me. Probably not always the best. I have also lost 84lbs so I bet if I put another ad today I would get ALOT of superficial men.

Only difference I see in online dating is that people will generally talk to you or not based solely on a picture or 2. VERY shallow. Not all are like that, and you can meet good people there just like anywhere else. I mean the whole world is online, so you meet creaps, nuts, and trash every day in person, same as online. Just have to sort through what's what.
  • Hairista
    Hairista Posts: 86
    Options
    I am all for meeting someone online, especially when people live busy lives. I am a full time student and single mom, I don't get out much, so it works.

I have met a few crazies, but I have hope that there is someone out there for me!
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    Met my wife online. Not a dating site, but by happenstance. Started off as friends. We talked via email, then chat, then phone...and two years later we met in person. Married 10 years now with 3 kids. I'd say it was a success! But for every story like mine there are a hundred that turn out badly. Be careful. Go slow. Get to know them first. Good luck.
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options
    I met my Impette on eharmony. We're coming up on our 8th anniversary. Best woman I ever met.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have done online dating and had good experiences. I met my current boyfriend of 3 1/2 years online.
  • smclean77
    smclean77 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online on a free dating website. We were married March 16, 2012.

I also have a friend who was just married and they met on the same sight. Another friend will be married in August, same site.

I had never done the online dating thing. I figured it was free, what did I have to lose? I didn't lose anything, but gained the most amazing man.

So, no...I wouldn't look down on anyone for meeting online.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Met my finacee' (one in the pic) online 3 years ago. We are engaged to be married. It works, my suggestion is dont use the free ones they have a lot of creeps on them. People serious about dating or relationships will pay to meet other like them.
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have also had weird online dating experiences..most of them ending with them trying to get in my pants haha. One guy I met and he started tearing up telling me how beautiful i am. that was really creepy. another guy asked if i would be the mother of his child (and he wasn't joking, he really wanted a baby). but my boyfriend who im with now we've been together for over a year and it's been awesome! when we first met it wasn't awkward and he definitely wasn't a creep just normal like me. and he is by far the best boyfriend i've ever had! i just follow my general rule (i always tell my friends this) if you get even the SLIGHTEST feeling like they might be a little weird or they make you slightly uncomfortable, don't brush it off. follow your gut instinct.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i met my wife online ..... not on a dating site but in a chat room ....... that was back in the 90's thou ... :)
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I use this site for dating! I have almost 100 girl/boyfriends and we have relations every day
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I'm an online dating success story, but I didn't use a dating site.

I found my husband via a forum dedicated to a webcomic and we developed a friendship. We've been married 7 years now.

I think it's nice to have a common interest online. I probably wouldn't recommend what I did, though. I lived in the UK and he lived in the US, we dated long-distance for almost 3 years with the occasional visit before we got married. You've gotta be pretty sure that it's worth holding onto to go that long.
  • slyast
    slyast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've met a few good boyfriends online - I was really nervous to try it, like it meant I failed in real life - but, that is not the case! and yeah there was a bunch of weirdo messages but, I just ignored them and have met some good dudes that way!
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    met my gf on okcupid 6 years ago

been living together for 5 years!
  • Crystleen
    Crystleen Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've done the online dating sites in the past. Hate them. I either met weirdos or they had lied to me, 2 were even married and engaged! That being said though I met my current boyfriend on myspace... haha We have been together for 3.5 years now.