Who has started losing again after ADDING more calories?

Options

Replies

• Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the above post....I totally botched that quoted message from another poster.. *geek me*
  • ajclemons5
    ajclemons5 Posts: 22
    Options
    I agree...this seems to go against everything that's been programmed. I currently net 1200 - 1400 per day and haven't lost a pound in months. I've been concentrating on eating really clean, adding more strength training, and increasing my protein intake. I will try to increase my cals to 1600 - 1800 to see if that makes a diff. Another question...i've been having a hard time meeting my protein requirements (approx 150 g per day). What are some of your best sources that are low in fat/cals??

15182052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Some people hate this...but here...I go.. ;) whey protein powder...I dont leave home with out it... cup of Fage greek yogurt...2 scoops choc powder...1tsp peanut butter...cup ice... walla! chocolate p.butter shake...and protein? could be close or over 70gm depending.. and I am picky.. body fortress is good.. the ice really makes it takes so good...blend it up..and go :)

Thanks so much!!! I will definitely try...sounds yummy :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Me, and I kept loosing when I raised it to what MFP has as maintenance! I got all the way down to 108 (my goal was 114) before I added enough calories to stop losing weight.

Now keep in mind that I think it has less to do with the calories than the KIND of calories I am getting. I am sticking (for the most part) with a clean diet and eating carbs that are lower on the glycemic index.

I too struggled with wrapping my head around eating more to weigh less. I can honestly say I will never go back to not eating ever again! OMG! And let me tell you girl, I am 43, almost 44 years old and when we get to be that age, it is much harder to lose weight.

Good luck and know it does work, I promise it does.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    OP, I hope upping my calls by no more than 200cals is going to help me. My goal was 1200, but would normally come in under this by about 100-200 cals. Was losing 2lb ish per week and have now stalled and gained a pound. I normally work out 3-4 times a week doing HIIT or running.

So I am thinking the same things as you and I'm fighting the natural instinct that upping cals = weight gain, but I'm giving it a go and will report back.
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    Me, and I kept loosing when I raised it to what MFP has as maintenance! I got all the way down to 108 (my goal was 114) before I added enough calories to stop losing weight.

Now keep in mind that I think it has less to do with the calories than the KIND of calories I am getting. I am sticking (for the most part) with a clean diet and eating carbs that are lower on the glycemic index.

I too struggled with wrapping my head around eating more to weigh less. I can honestly say I will never go back to not eating ever again! OMG! And let me tell you girl, I am 43, almost 44 years old and when we get to be that age, it is much harder to lose weight.

Good luck and know it does work, I promise it does.

Thank you :) And being a mom to 5 kids...I'm sure I need more calories!!! ;)
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    OP, I hope upping my calls by no more than 200cals is going to help me. My goal was 1200, but would normally come in under this by about 100-200 cals. Was losing 2lb ish per week and have now stalled and gained a pound. I normally work out 3-4 times a week doing HIIT or running.

So I am thinking the same things as you and I'm fighting the natural instinct that upping cals = weight gain, but I'm giving it a go and will report back.

Yes..please do! And feel free to add me! I'd love to keep contact with people that are struggling with the exact same problem I am!!!!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I upped from 1600 to 1850 and started losing 1 lb/wk after maintaining at 1600 for months.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose for months doing 30 Day Shred and eating 1,200. Upped cals to 1,400, it MELTED off like crazy.

ETA: Now I'm at 1,600 (BMR = 1,475) and I'm hovering, but I haven't been working out as much as I wanted to. But I'm really close to goal weight, too.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Yes..please do! And feel free to add me! I'd love to keep contact with people that are struggling with the exact same problem I am!!!!

Do you worry that by upping your cals you will lose at a much slower rate? This is something I worry about, which I wouldn't mind about usually but I have a goal for my holiday so don't want it to slow to say 1/2 lb a week!
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    I agree...this seems to go against everything that's been programmed. I currently net 1200 - 1400 per day and haven't lost a pound in months. I've been concentrating on eating really clean, adding more strength training, and increasing my protein intake. I will try to increase my cals to 1600 - 1800 to see if that makes a diff. Another question...i've been having a hard time meeting my protein requirements (approx 150 g per day). What are some of your best sources that are low in fat/cals??

15182052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Some people hate this...but here...I go.. ;) whey protein powder...I dont leave home with out it... cup of Fage greek yogurt...2 scoops choc powder...1tsp peanut butter...cup ice... walla! chocolate p.butter shake...and protein? could be close or over 70gm depending.. and I am picky.. body fortress is good.. the ice really makes it takes so good...blend it up..and go :)

Thanks so much!!! I will definitely try...sounds yummy :)

You may wanna go with a flavored vanilla greek yogurt..especiallly first starting out with the powder...I use plain now..but it might be a bit too...bland at first! and a little more p butter is cool too !
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    started at 1200 - miserable/fell off wagon - lost a few
    bumped up to 1300 - still not enough - lost a few more but would gain them back and lose them again
    bumped up to 1500 - lost a few more

bumped up to 1672 (TDEE-20%) beginning of July and stayed off the scale since 6/29. Weighing myself 7/30. Can't wait to see if it worked or not!!!

also got a bodybugg - setting it up tonight - curious to see how many calories it thinks I burn...
  • Feisty_Red
    Options

Do you worry that by upping your cals you will lose at a much slower rate? This is something I worry about, which I wouldn't mind about usually but I have a goal for my holiday so don't want it to slow to say 1/2 lb a week!

I havent lost a POUND since March 31st.. at this point..I will take a slow and painful weight loss journey ;) and with a smile!!!
  • SixHats
    SixHats Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't want to add more confusion into the mix but it might be worth considering your stress levels. You're on a restricted calorie diet which can place a stress on the body. You exercise a lot and people forget that exercise is a stress on the body. How much sleep are you getting? Lack of sleep is also a source of stress.

I would suggest cutting back on the cardio but staying with the weight training. Keep your calories at the new level and perhaps keep an eye on your macronutrient ratios.
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    started at 1200 - miserable/fell off wagon - lost a few
    bumped up to 1300 - still not enough - lost a few more but would gain them back and lose them again
    bumped up to 1500 - lost a few more

bumped up to 1672 (TDEE-20%) beginning of July and stayed off the scale since 6/29. Weighing myself 7/30. Can't wait to see if it worked or not!!!

also got a bodybugg - setting it up tonight - curious to see how many calories it thinks I burn...

Oh please please please let me know!!! :)
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    My BMR is ~1550. When I first started losing weight I was only eating 900 cal or so a day. Then after stalling I read up on "eat more to weigh less". It took a few weeks but I slowly raised my calorie intake so that I try to at least eat my BMR. Due to an injury I can't exercise like I was a month or so ago so I'm not eating much more than my BMR if I can help it (although I've had a bad couple of weeks I'll admit).
  • corriewarren
    Options
    I have had this happen to me before. My doctor explained it to me as (1) if I am eating something different than normal it takes my body more energy to break down the food. If I eat chicken four times a week and then I start to eat less chicken and more fish, it is harder for my body to break down the fish than the chicken which it is accustomed to breaking down. Clear as mud? It works the same for exercise - if your body is used to you walking a mile a day and then you change it up and start two or three times a week doing aerobics, your body will respond to that change......and (2) it may be WHAT you are eating in a different way - if you are cutting down on carbs or sugars and increasing proteins, you will lose. Either way - if you are LOSING - feel proud of yourself. It is so much easier to put it on than to take it off!
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It makes total sense that no one has gained. You have to eat MORE than you use to gain weight. If your TDEE is spot on (and I used the calculator on Scooby's site and it matched my Fitbit 100%), and you don't eat over your TDEE, you will not gain weight (excluding water weight, of course).

Cardio is the devil to me. Seriously! Whenever I stall, my immediate reaction is to add in a run after weights or something. And it always makes things worse. I upped my cals from 1400 to 1875 and cut back on cardio to 2 days a week, strength training for an hour on the other 3 days. Been losing weight or been stable for a bit now (stable is ok, I'm at my goal weight so I'm looking to be more toned than anything!).
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    I don't want to add more confusion into the mix but it might be worth considering your stress levels. You're on a restricted calorie diet which can place a stress on the body. You exercise a lot and people forget that exercise is a stress on the body. How much sleep are you getting? Lack of sleep is also a source of stress.

I would suggest cutting back on the cardio but staying with the weight training. Keep your calories at the new level and perhaps keep an eye on your macronutrient ratios.

Agreed...but stress levels are good...as much as it can be with 5 kids...and sleep is pretty good as well..
    I have cut cardio...down from 6 days to 3..and up more of what I love...weight training.. I figure...do what I love..if I am not getting scale results! :)
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    I have had this happen to me before. My doctor explained it to me as (1) if I am eating something different than normal it takes my body more energy to break down the food. If I eat chicken four times a week and then I start to eat less chicken and more fish, it is harder for my body to break down the fish than the chicken which it is accustomed to breaking down. Clear as mud? It works the same for exercise - if your body is used to you walking a mile a day and then you change it up and start two or three times a week doing aerobics, your body will respond to that change......and (2) it may be WHAT you are eating in a different way - if you are cutting down on carbs or sugars and increasing proteins, you will lose. Either way - if you are LOSING - feel proud of yourself. It is so much easier to put it on than to take it off!

Great advice..I do have a problem with eating the same types of food...exercise however..I have been switching up like crazy..that was my first step..like 2 months ago..with no calorie change up however...and I had no results obviously.. :(
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.drbriffa.com/2011/12/05/what-should-we-eat-before-exercise-how-about-nothing/ talks about what to eat (or not) before exercise. He's an interesting guy - a medical Doctor - faced with a stall / plateau he would suggest trying out some Intermittent fasting, reduced carb eating or HIIE interval training.

As a mum you'll appreciate the apparent time efficiency of interval training over steady state cardio.

Another thought is that "intermittent dieting" can be at least as efficient as continuous calorie restriction :-

https://healthyresearcher.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/part-time-dieting-a-new-strategy-for-weight-control/ - 2 weeks of diet, 2 weeks off did better.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45587821/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/cutting-carbs-just-days-week-can-spur-weight-loss/ - 2 days a week on low cals / low carbs with ad lib in between.