Dress Code

Options
Il_DaniD_lI
Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
Does anyone else work somewhere with a ridiculous dress code? I hate the dress code at my work.

An example "No shoulders showing". WTF?? This is 2012, if my shoulders offend or arouse you, that's your own damn problem.

Replies

• angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    So get a new job. It's a free country.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I think that's a matter of professionalism rather than prudishness.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I'm just ticked that we don't get to wear jeans every day. Other than that, we don't have a real dress code.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Options

OMG why didn't I think of that. Thank you so much for that.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Options

What is so unprofessional about sleeveless blouse?
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I wish that more places HAD dress codes...........people are so sloppy sometimes, and I've seen some pretty trashy clothes on women at various work places.

Save it for the club - look professional if you have an office job, imho.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

hmmmm, no. It may be a free country but it isn't a country with jobs falling out of the sky. Let's think rationally here, would you quit your job because you couldn't show your shoulders or would you make an interesting post for others to reply to and vent a little......................I think most would go with the latter.
  • angeldaae
    Options

hmmmm, no. It may be a free country but it isn't a country with jobs falling out of the sky. Let's think rationally here, would you quit your job because you couldn't show your shoulders or would you make an interesting post for others to reply to and vent a little......................I think most would go with the latter.

Option 3: I would be thankful for my job and not whine about something as trivial as a dress code.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I work in a place that requires everyone to wear uniforms everyday... whats up with that?? lol

God Bless the US Air Force!!!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options

Option 3: I would be thankful for my job and not whine about something as trivial as a dress code.

It's a free country. She can whine if she wants.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    We are not allowed to wear sleeveless anything... why? Because someone high up decided that he didn't like looking at women's under arms flapping around... :-| We can't wear sandals that have a post in between the toes either... nor tennis shoes (unless your a field worker)... Can't wear jeans (even nice jeans) unless it's a company (or department) wide sanctioned fund raiser (usually for charity)... It's absurd.

edited misspelling.
  • angeldaae
    Options

It's a free country. She can whine if she wants.

Touche.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Without a little bit of regulation, people can end up looking sloppy, show too much skin, or send the wrong messages. It might seem silly at times but it is a big part of the work place environment, how people perceive you, and can be a major distraction.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Where my fiance works they have sexual harassment training a lot, but then they never say anything to the women quite literally showing cleavage popping out of the top of their shirts. He embarrassed the hell out of one during a meeting once, talking about how disgusted he was at her inappropriate attire.
  • Grimmerick
    Options

you said free country did you not. You are free not to post or you are free to post and I am free to reply............look at all this freedom
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

More like pettiness rather than professionalism... professionalism would say to not wear ratty clothing...
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    At my (corporate) job (believe it or not) we have "dress for your day" sooooo. . .if you have a meeting dress up if not then whatever. Today I felt like it was a "the kids kept me up to damn late and I have no fricken time to get coffee cause I hit snooze eight times" day. . .so I wore capris.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Options

I asked other people to share their ridiculous dress codes and shared mine. No need to be catty! meow
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a grocery store that forbade visible tattoos. I have a half sleeve. On days when it was too hot and I couldn't wear long sleeves or a jacket to cover, I wrapped my arm up with an ace bandage. People would run up to me and go "OH MY GOD! WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR ARM!?!?!?!" I'd say I have a tattoo. Then they'd scoff and say "Why do you have to cover it? It's 2011" Company rules. I had MORE customers tell me they were offended that I had to cover my tattoo rather than actually having it. When I told my boss that (who is Pennsylvania Dutch), he laughed me out of his office and said he didn't believe that. It's the truth!
  • jly33403
    jly33403 Posts: 49
    Options
    My mom and I work with the same company, both desk jobs, but different departments. She's jealous because I get to wear my sandals that have a thong, and she doesn't because people in her area don't understand the concept of "No rubber flip-flops". My boss is really cool with being a little lenient with our dress codes.

It's usually too cold to show our shoulders anyway, most of us are wrapped in blankets.

Edit: They probably changed the dress code because people were being extreme. They probably saw a lot of people wearing very unprofessional sleeveless tops, and so after a few warnings they changed it to disallow that style.