Got a slow cooker! Throw your best ideas/recipes at me! :)

Options

Replies

• gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I use the crock pot a lot in the winter, but haven't yet this summer--some good ideas here for sure! Thanks everyone for some good ideas!

They make some good seasoning packets for the crockpot. The sodium is a little high, but they do make some tasty pork roast, pulled pork and beef stew ones that take some of the guess work out of seasoning.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Bumping for later.
  • ZarrX86
    ZarrX86 Posts: 38
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-coconut-curry-chicken/

This is my absolute favorite slow cooker dish. Add some hot pepper flakes to it for a little more heat because thats really all the recipee is missing, serve with white rice. Amazing.
  • Ashmcfarland
    Options
    bump :)
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    taking notes :)
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    I bought the fix it and forget it diabetic cookbook. Tons of awesome food in there!

Greek Chicken
    Makes 6 servings
    278 calories

4 potatoes, unpeeled, quartered
    2lbs. chicken pieces, trimmed of skin and fat
    2 large onoins, quartered (I used 1)
    1 whold bulb garlic, minced
    3tsp. dried oregano
    3/4tsp. salt (I did not add salt)
    1/2tsp. pepper
    1TLB. olive oil

1. Place potatoes in bottom of slow cooker. Add chicken, onions, and garlic. Sprinkle with seasonings. Top with oil.

2. Cover. Cook on high 5-6 hours or on Low 9-10 hours

YUMMY!!!!

agreed!!!!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    These are all such great ideas! I've always been in love with my crock pot, but have never tried the steel cut oatmeal in it before.

I love to make chili in mine.

I throw just about everything in there: pureed tomatoes/carrots/yellow peppers/celery, cooked lean ground turkey, chopped habenero and scotch bonnet pepper, lots of pepper, black beans, kidney beans, paprika & seasoning. I make it ahead the night before so everything really gets to stew, then I throw some baking potatoes in there and I heat on low for about 7 hours while I'm at work.

Jerk pulled chicken and vegetable soups are favourites, too.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    Does anyone have any pork loin crockpot recipes?

My family loves this one.

Pork loin
    1 can chicken broth
    1 jar apricot preserves
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 onion, chopped

Mix all the ingrediants and then add the pork loin. Cook on low for 8 hours. Delicious!

hmmmmm....interesting! thanks!
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot Applesauce (from skinnytaste.com)

8 medium apples
    1 strip lemon peel
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    1 cinnamon stick
    5 tsp light brown sugar or agave
    peel, core and cut apples, put it all in the crock pot on low for 6 hours.

Serves: 12 1/4 c each at 65.9 calories

Make it all the time. Not only is it soo good, it makes the house smell great!! :)
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I made the French Dip sandwiches. Easy-peasy, and the family loved them! Thanks!
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Chicken Pot Pie......

You get a bag of mixed veggies and throw it in, put in some cooked chicken, pour in a little low fat milk, along with low fat cream of chicken (or your fave low fat cream soup), and mix up some low cal Bisquick and pour over tht top and let it cook.... salt and pepper to taste and its REALLY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

love this!
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Fab ideas here :-)
    Thanks for the info :)
  • gvroxie
    gvroxie Posts: 10
    Options
    Lots of good recipes here. I cook my beans in the crock... beans, water, diced onion, chopped garlic or garlic powder. Bouillon granules if I'm feeling 'adventurous'. I usually put mine on at night before bed and they're ready in the morning... or I'll put them on early in the day and they're ready by dinner. Add salt after cooking. Eventhough I cook for just me, I cook a whole 1 lb. bag and freeze in individual freezer containers for future meals.
  • fishingwoman
    fishingwoman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    These sound very good.:smile:
  • mama2mila
    mama2mila Posts: 92
    Options
    I love skinnytaste.com. They have some awesome low fat, low cal recipes. If you search the MFP database for "Gina's Skinny Taste" there are lots of recipes listed already. Below is my favorite recipe that I have tried so far.

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
    Servings: 10 • Size: 1 1/4 cups • Calories: 203.7 • Fat: 1.4 g • Carb: 33.3 g • Fiber: 10.0 g • Protein: 16.9 g

1 onion, chopped
    1 16-oz can black beans
    1 16-oz can kidney beans
    1 8-oz can tomato sauce
    10 oz package frozen corn kernels
    2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp chili powder
    24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
    chili peppers, chopped (optional)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
    Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro.

It's so easy to make and it is great over rice, with multi-grain chips, topped with low fat cheddar cheese or low fat sour cream. This makes a lot and it is even better the next day for lunch!

I was gonna post this recipe! I make it 2-3 times a month; my hubby's favorite!

I also do the steel cut oats in the crockpot, and have another to share, pumpkin pie oatmeal!

1 cup steel cut oats
    1 cup pumpkin puree
    2 cups almond milk
    2 cups water
    1 heaping tsp pumpkin pie spice
    2 Tbsp ground flax

coat inside of crockpot with cooking spray or oil (or you'll be soaking and scrubbing for hours). Mix remaining ingredients in. Cook on low 8-9 hours. Give it a good stir before serving.... its sooooooo good with a Tbsp of mini choc chips!!
  • LJ102011
    LJ102011 Posts: 110
    Options
    bump
  • achasnis
    achasnis Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump, saving to read the recipes later! I have a few crock pot recipes but they were my grandmas and mothers and definitely NOT on the healthy side.
  • katzba
    katzba Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CarrieR3
    CarrieR3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing :)