Dress Code

Options

Replies

• slappymcgee
    Options
    We don't have a dress code but it's implied to look professional. I see nothing wrong with a cap sleeve blouse, or even a tasteful sleeveless blouse. I would keep a jacket or sweater around in case I need to see a client, etc., but for sitting at my desk with no one around, I don't see a big deal in a tasteful sleeveless blouse. It's not like she's going to wear a spaghetti tank top. They make and sell sleeveless business-wear. Just be sensible about it, not tacky.

My pet peeve is people not dressing age appropriate. 55 year olds in mini dresses is not appropriate. You can dress "fun" at 55, but if you sit down and I can catch a glimpse of your hoo-hoo, it is tooo short.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I actually had a boss tell me I had to wear a bra! (my uniform was a t-shirt under a uniform dress shirt ...no visible nipples) I told him there were plenty of guys with larger breasts than me and when they started wearing them, I would too! LOL

MOOBS!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    That difficulty is precisely why one should *not* complain about their job.
    Not liking a dress code policy does not equate to hating one's job. We get your point. Really, we do. No need to keep repeating it to us.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    We don't have a dress code but it's implied to look professional. I see nothing wrong with a cap sleeve blouse, or even a tasteful sleeveless blouse. I would keep a jacket or sweater around in case I need to see a client, etc., but for sitting at my desk with no one around, I don't see a big deal in a tasteful sleeveless blouse. It's not like she's going to wear a spaghetti tank top. They make and sell sleeveless business-wear. Just be sensible about it, not tacky.

My pet peeve is people not dressing age appropriate. 55 year olds in mini dresses is not appropriate. You can dress "fun" at 55, but if you sit down and I can catch a glimpse of your hoo-hoo, it is tooo short.

Whoa...wait a minute so someone who is 25 is allowed to wear a "MINI" Skirt? what tha?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I don't mind my dress code.

I agreed to follow it in exchange for getting money. Fair enough.

wow that sounds like a really easy job

Yeah...it's pretty sweet. We just walk around all day.

it's a banana suit isn't it, or you are the statue of liberty for the tax places right. Sounds hot lol
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's not like she's going to wear a spaghetti tank top. They make and sell sleeveless business-wear. Just be sensible about it, not tacky.
    That's the problem. Someone would wear that tank top.
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You'd probably all say the outfit I am wearing now is unprofessional...sundress with sandels..all my shoulders showing..than I change into scrubs, covered shoes and a lab coat when I am doing "lab work" and its soooo damn hot so any moment I can wear "normal" clothes I jump at the chance.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I can't relate to this. We have no dress code.

I haven't worn pants at work since May. :wink: :wink:
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I think that's a matter of professionalism rather than prudishness.

Ta-da!!
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My job is jeans and a nice top attire! I love it.

However, I have worked in places where you can't wear sleeveless as well. Not everyone looks that great in sleeveless, and can you imagine people who don't bathe or wear deodorant in sleeveless? Anyways, I think it is a mixture of professionalism, tidiness, and not tempting your fellow co-workers with your super sexy shoulders :blushing: for not letting you wear them! :wink:
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I worked in a salon that had a 5 page dress code policy. From allowed colors, thickness of shirt straps, type of shoes, doneness of hair, and makeup. Oh, don't forget length of skirt.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    So get a new job. It's a free country.

hmmmm, no. It may be a free country but it isn't a country with jobs falling out of the sky. Let's think rationally here, would you quit your job because you couldn't show your shoulders or would you make an interesting post for others to reply to and vent a little......................I think most would go with the latter.

Option 3: I would be thankful for my job and not whine about something as trivial as a dress code.

^This
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It's not like she's going to wear a spaghetti tank top. They make and sell sleeveless business-wear. Just be sensible about it, not tacky.
    That's the problem. Someone would wear that tank top.

Yep, you have to define "sensible," which the OP's dress code has done.

My workplace has a dress code. I'm required to wear close-toed shoes, full-length pants (no shorts, capris or skirts), and sleeves every day. No biggie. It's a dress code, not a prison sentence.
  • karencogs
    karencogs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think that's a matter of professionalism rather than prudishness.

I agree with this. Without a little bit of regulation, people can end up looking sloppy, show too much skin, or send the wrong messages. It might seem silly at times but it is a big part of the work place environment, how people perceive you, and can be a major distraction.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    At my (corporate) job (believe it or not) we have "dress for your day" sooooo. . .if you have a meeting dress up if not then whatever. Today I felt like it was a "the kids kept me up to damn late and I have no fricken time to get coffee cause I hit snooze eight times" day. . .so I wore capris.

Work for corporate State Farm by any chance? Because that's exactly what our policy is... I wear jeans and a nice blouse (and my vibrams!) every day.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't have a dress code in my office. But I dress appropriately and try to look as professional as I can. It's a personal desire to look presentable at my place of employment and not look trashy.

That being said, I would wear a sleeveless blouse, but thin spaghetti straps seem inappropriate to me.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I work in a place that requires everyone to wear uniforms everyday... whats up with that?? lol

God Bless the US Air Force!!!

LOL Love this! (and thank you!):flowerforyou:
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the lucky ones that do not have a dress code. As long as its clean, you can wear it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I work for a European company and the dress code if fairly lax. Unfortunately, a lot of these women take liberties with the guidelines and I've seen some seriously trashy outfits walking around here.

I love being able to wear sleeveless tops and open toe sandals, but there's always someone who pushes the limits of what you can get away with it (till they ruin it for everyone) :grumble:
  • EnergyYesPlease
    Options
    I don't mind a dress code.... I am just thankful to have a job :))