Dress Code

Options

Replies

• DeniseBromley
    DeniseBromley Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I work in a real estate office -- No dress code :-) I won't wear tshirts or anything tho, I usually wear jeans and a nice shirt -- Used to wear dressy pants alot, but since I started losing weight, none of them will stay on anymore!

**edited to fix a typo**
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think that's a matter of professionalism rather than prudishness.

More like pettiness rather than professionalism... professionalism would say to not wear ratty clothing...

Not wearing ratty clothing is just the bare minimum for walking out the door into civilization.

Even if you could wear whatever you want to work, it's better in the long-term to wear neutral, professional clothing. You're taken more seriously that way.

Covering your shoulders falls into this category. I've never worked anywhere that enforced a dress code, but work environments have become so casual over the past few years, I can understand why some bosses might feel they're necessary.
  • ironicusername
    Options
    I love my job. I never have to get out of my pj's or even my bed for that matter, if I don't want to (I usually don't). lol
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I work in a place that requires everyone to wear uniforms everyday... whats up with that?? lol

God Bless the US Air Force!!!

AMEN!

4 year vet here!

I loved my Blues!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I worked for a company that dealt with government, fortune 500, and military contracts ALL THE TIME.... my supervisor would seriously come into work in his wet suit, because he had gone surfing right before work.... later he changed into cargo shorts, tshirt, and flip flops.... it was a very casually dressed setting... yet no one dressed ratty or slutty... and yet they still got their job done... they would wear suits when needed (such as during meetings or presentations)... and they did their jobs well.... In my opinion, dress is not always indicitive of one's work ethic....

Man I would LOVE to work there again.... the science, the laid back atmosphere, the small company-ness....
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I hate to have to have a dress code at work, because I think professional dress is a no brainer. I know when to put on a suit or dress and when I wear jeans--they are a medium to dark uniform wash with a modern fit. However, I have co-workers who want to wear distressed (or expensively torn up) jeans and t-shirts every day--men and women. Take some pride in yourself and dress like you belong at a professional business. Considering we're in corporate American, if you can't follow my company's relaxed dress code, then you shouldn't work at any other professional business.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I used to work as a supervisor in a 300+ call center. We had to have a dress code- the outfits that they would come in to work in.
    Even though we were a call center we still had customers visit. Ours was spelled out

No Daisy Duke Shorts
    No outfits that would also be acceptable for clubbing in South Beach
    No Bra's showing
    No Ripped Jeans

Nothing you would wear to sleep in
    Nothing you would wear as undergarments

it was too funny I can't remember all of them - but they were written that way because folks actually came in wearing these items.
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I wear what I want (even pajamas if I'm having one of those days) but then again I'm a stay at home mom and do daycare for another child. However at my old job, an financial planning company, some of the advisors would walk in looking like they were going to a club, rhinestones, glitter, microminis, etc. or the complete opposite end of the spectrum, ratty jeans, and a faded t-shirt. I think you should dress appropriately for your job, and if you're dealing with the public on a daily basis you at least need to look professional.
  • SgtMindy
    SgtMindy Posts: 53
    Options
    I work in a place that requires everyone to wear uniforms everyday... whats up with that?? lol

LOL!!! These ABUs are actually pretty comfortable, and I love the new PT gear!!
  • clairegreen1974
    clairegreen1974 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I used to work for BT (Telephone call centre, not public facing) and they tried to enforce a dress code but they had no clue! a few they tried were:

# Men could expose their tattooes but women couldn't
    # Trainers were permitted so long as they looked new, once they got scuffed, they were not permitted
    # Night shift workers could wear vest tops, Day staff could not
    # baseball caps were not permitted - unless you provided medical proof you suffered migraines

I can work in my PJ's now if i wish as i work for myself! :smokin:
  • menletti
    menletti Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Probably ruffle feathers here but.....as a business owner, we have a dress code. No open toed shoes...because at one time an employee dropped a case of house paint on her foot and not only broke her toes but dang near cut one off. So...no open toed shoes for anyone.

No shirts with "undesirable" graphics or verbiage. Again....we had an employee show up with a t-shirt that had two rubber hands clutching her boobs.

Jeans are okay as long as they fit well, have no holes, and don't sag at the butt. We had an employee with a hole in her jeans. She caught her leg on the edge of a shelf and since it was there the hole was, she cut her leg. Three stitches. No holes in jeans. We had an employee with saggy pants...tripped on them coming down the stairs. Sprained arm. No baggy jeans.

Tattoos are okay as long as they are not profane. There's nothing worse than having a cashier wearing a low cut shirt with a tattoo that says "F*** Me" scrawled across her boobs.

One visible piercing is okay as long as it is discreet. This excludes ears. Again...safety. One of the kids at work had a little chain from his ear to his lip. Got snagged and ripped it out. Stitches again.

So, while you might wonder what is wrong with wearing tank tops, somewhere down the line there was some sort of incident...whether it was an accident, a customer complaint, or whatever and the business owner said "ok...enough" We just will do away with tank tops.

Just my angle on the subject.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    No dress code for my department (aside from common no exposing yourself). Jeans every single day. That's a win in my book.

Edit: Okay, I lied. We have to wear close-toed shoes because we end up walking through the wearhouse to get to the other building. I guess I don't feel like I have a dress code because that's how I dress outside of work too. I don't expose anything and don't wear clothing with holes or a ton of jewelry.
  • Alaarie
    Alaarie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    They probably changed the dress code because people were being extreme. They probably saw a lot of people wearing very unprofessional sleeveless tops, and so after a few warnings they changed it to disallow that style.

I think that's the key. I used to work in a bank in a college town. The young tellers would take the dress code to the VERY edge. I don't mind some skin showing, if the person looks good, but this dress was making me uneasy. You also have to keep the company image in mind. In our particular situation, it's best to tame the tellers rather than have the little old ladies take their fat accounts to another bank!

The "no shoulders showing" is probably because of somebody who just didn't do it right and ruined it for everyone.

Where I work now, our dress code is jeans and company-issued polos. We can wear whatever shoes we're comfortable walking around in. I freakin love it!! Don't have to think when I roll out of bed in the morning and no more ironing nice clothes!
  • shawnakuipery
    shawnakuipery Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So get a new job. It's a free country.

hmmmm, no. It may be a free country but it isn't a country with jobs falling out of the sky. Let's think rationally here, would you quit your job because you couldn't show your shoulders or would you make an interesting post for others to reply to and vent a little......................I think most would go with the latter.

Option 3: I would be thankful for my job and not whine about something as trivial as a dress code.

It's a free country. She can whine if she wants.

^^
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I was gonna say I hate wearing polo's collard shirts.. instead I'm gonna say...
    Why is everyone getting into a debate about it?? She didn't say 'Should I quit my job over dress code'.. People should stop being over dramatic!
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think that's a matter of professionalism rather than prudishness.

What is so unprofessional about sleeveless blouse?

My last job had this rule about sleeves and shoulders. Now they're totally Casual, but want nice tops with jeans. My current job is slightly more lenient and weekends are casual. I like the No Flip Flop rule. :) Hate flip flops. It's a "smack, smack, smack" when people walk by and those shoes always look nasty and trashy. It's perception of professional dress. I'm sure it just goes back to old fashioned rules, but they rarely update those rules.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Yup we have it too...the no shoulders is so that people don't try wearing tank tops. When inside the office I'll wear tank top style dresses but have available a jacket when I walk out. What I don't like is the nylons, which they do away with during the summer. Oh well it is what it is.
  • met42485
    met42485 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

:-) Thank you for your service [and thank God for those uniforms ;)]
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Probably ruffle feathers here but.....as a business owner, we have a dress code. No open toed shoes...because at one time an employee dropped a case of house paint on her foot and not only broke her toes but dang near cut one off. So...no open toed shoes for anyone.

No shirts with "undesirable" graphics or verbiage. Again....we had an employee show up with a t-shirt that had two rubber hands clutching her boobs.

Jeans are okay as long as they fit well, have no holes, and don't sag at the butt. We had an employee with a hole in her jeans. She caught her leg on the edge of a shelf and since it was there the hole was, she cut her leg. Three stitches. No holes in jeans. We had an employee with saggy pants...tripped on them coming down the stairs. Sprained arm. No baggy jeans.

Tattoos are okay as long as they are not profane. There's nothing worse than having a cashier wearing a low cut shirt with a tattoo that says "F*** Me" scrawled across her boobs.

One visible piercing is okay as long as it is discreet. This excludes ears. Again...safety. One of the kids at work had a little chain from his ear to his lip. Got snagged and ripped it out. Stitches again.

So, while you might wonder what is wrong with wearing tank tops, somewhere down the line there was some sort of incident...whether it was an accident, a customer complaint, or whatever and the business owner said "ok...enough" We just will do away with tank tops.

Just my angle on the subject.

Ok for one, that's for safety concerns... but I think most of us (well at least me anyway) are cube rats...

Two, My husband saw a woman working the McDonalds drive through with a tattoo such as you described... she had to wear a bandage over it while at work... it was falling off when he saw the tattoo... :laugh:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Now that made me laugh!