I need a recipe for chicken breast

Options
beautsarah
beautsarah Posts: 151 Member
I'm not a huge fan of chicken breast, but its because usually when I cook it I find it to be dry and flavorless. Granted it could be because I don't have experience cooking chicken. I'd appreciate it if someone can give me a recipe that leaves the chicken moist and full of flavor.

Replies

• sndnc4me
    sndnc4me Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,
    The most important thing about cooking chicken breasts is that you need to get the internal temperature to around 160 degrees to fully cook it without it being dry. Using a digital thermometer to monitor the temperature is the best way to ensure you do not have a dry piece of meat. I like to marinate overnight using either teriaki sauce or italian dressing. This gives the meat lots of flavor and doesn't add a lot of calories. Cook in the oven at around 375 degrees. Good luck! Deb S.
  • leannehoggdodd
    Options
    Bake in the oven with softend onion, tinned tomato, olives and capers and a little pinch of chilli flakes

Lovely with a little side salad.

Xxx
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Stuff it with cheese!
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I wrap chicken breast in foil with whatever seasoning I'm using and bake or grill until it's almost cooked, then unwrap for the last few minutes. This helps ensure it's juicy, but finishing unwrapped makes it not slimy. Win-win. :drinker:

Sorry - not really a recipe, just a method I use to make sure I don't have dry chicken. :)
  • kim_maxcreek
    kim_maxcreek Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, corn, black beans, salsa - Throw it in the crock pot for 4 - 6 hours (depending on chicken thickness). Shred the chicken and mix it back in the pot. You can eat it by itself, with rice or on a tortilla. Add some sour cream or cheese if you've got calories to spare. Yum Yum!!!!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    If you like BBQ wings... I found this recipe to be very tasty and very easy: http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/show/2324

You can leave out some of the hot sauce if you don't like spicy food.. I usually only put in 1/2 or 2/3 of the amount listed, per boyfriend's request :)

In general, I find that it's a lot easier to cook chicken breast properly if you first cut the chicken into small pieces. The other night, I cut up chicken and mixed it with some olive oil, lemon juice, Italian seasoning and garlic powder... then I put a little more olive oil in a pan, heated it up, and added in the chicken. It's easy to tell when the small pieces are cooked enough (I usually cut one of the biggest chunks in half and look to see if it's done, once the outside of the chicken gets browned on both sides).
  • sninny
    sninny Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love cooking chicken in my slow cooker. It's always moist and fully cooked. Yum!

Tonight I'm giving this recipe a try---

Chicken Adobo
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 cup water
    2 cloves chopped garlic
    1/2 tsp ground pepper
    3 lbs chicken thighs (or a combination of thighs and drumsticks)----I'm using chicken breasts

Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, water, garlic and pepper together in a large skillet or dutch oven. The skillet should be large enough to accommodate the chicken in a single layer. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.

Add the chicken and reduce the heat to medium low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, turning once.

Preheat the grill or broiler. Broil or grill the chicken 3 to 4 inches from heat source, about 5 minutes on each side.

Meanwhile, increase heat on the sauce in the pan until it boils vigorously. Cook until reduced to about 1 cup.

Serve chicken with sauce poured over. Pass any remaining sauce around at the table.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Get perdue perfect portions italian flavored and sautee them in a little olive oil on the stove top

Cook with some extra virgin olive oil (just enough to coat the breast and the pan) and sea salt, bake them

If you like fruity flavors: Mix together a little olive oil, some mango juice, and a little honey and pour over the breasts, bake them

If you like asian flavors: Mix together a little olive oil, braggs liquid aminos (or regular soy sauce), garlic powder, red wine vinegar, and honey, bake chicken breasts in that.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You can try chicken schnitzel.
    Slice the chicken breasts into pieces (either flat or chunks whichever is your preference).
    Coat with flour
    Dip into egg wash (simply an egg thats been beaten with a touch of milk)
    Coat with breadcrumbs (I like italian seasoned personally)
    Shallow pan fry until golden

Makes a heck of a mess when you have to do this for 5-6 people like I do...but ohhhh so worth it.
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    If nothing else, to prevent dry chicken breast, I like to marinate in olive oil and balsamic vinegar for at least an hour before cooking in a pan on the stove. Sometimes I add spices and such, but I don't mind bland as long as it isn't dry.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Temp your chicken to 180 degrees always!

I made Chicken Cordon Bleu (low Calorie Style) last night!!!

4oz chicken breast (golden kist from Costco) = 100 calories
    Laughing cow lite Swiss cheese wedge = 35 calories
    2 strips of Turkey Bacon (low sodium-I forget the brand) = 35 calories a piece = 70

Total calories = 205 (if your chicken breast is bigger, still use the same amount of cheese & bacon)!!!

Bake at 400 degrees, for about 40-50 minutes. Be sure to spray your pan and cover with foil.

Seriously, it was really delicious! Enjoy if you try it!
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Taco Chicken Meat
    Put a few breasts in crockpot with 8 oz fat free cream cheese, low sodium taco seasoning, cook on low 6-8 hours. shred with a fork and serve on tacos shells or tortillas.

OR

Buffalo Chicken
    Put a few breasts in crockpot with 8 oz fat free cream cheese, 1/4 c. buffalo wing sauce, cook on low 6-8 hours. shred with a fork and serve on tortillas or as a dip with tostitos. Lower in fat just wrap in lettuce leaves. .
  • Alpinerabbit
    Options
    Season with salt, pepper and paprika;
    Sear in a bit of oil a hot non-stick frying pan for 2 mins each side until nicely browned.

Turn off the heat and cover. leave about 10-12 minutes until fully cooked. The resting makes sure it is still juicy.
  • aconarroe
    aconarroe Posts: 1
    Options
    I marinate/bake mine in Italian dressing as well, if you bake it be sure to cover the dish in foil to keep the chicken moist.

I also put 3 -4 chicken breast cut in strips (skinless) in a skillet on the stove and cook in a bottle of italian dressing. Once the chicken is done, lower the heat, simmer, and keep it stirred until the dressing carmelizes on the strips. This takes a little while longer but my family loves it as well.

I like the Italian Dressing with roasted red peppers (less calories too!) but my family likes plain Italian!

Good Luck!
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you like spicy food, try this -

4 chicken breasts cut in halves
    1 bottle of Carribean Jerk marinade
    1 can of pineapple chunks (drained)
    1 small/medium onion (chopped)

Put all of these ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on low for 6 hours (or high for 4). I serve it over rice, but you can do whatever you like! This is DELICIOUS and SO EASY!!!!!
  • marthathebear
    Options
    Any time you are cooking a chicken breast (or any part of the chicken) especially if it has been frozen it needs to soak at least 30 minutes (or longer if possible) in salt water (brine) to be juicy. I know you can't alway do this but it really helps grilled chicken. I like to take it out of the brine soak and then marinate in soy sauce and grill it. Very good on lean thin pork chops as well.
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump bumpety bump bump.
  • dirtycaviar
    Options
    I brine all my chicken breasts for an hour before I ever do anything to them. They stay super juicy and versatile!
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    one more!

Home-made baked Chicken Strips!

Cut your chicken breast into strips (you can pound them flat first you'd like- I don't).

I use Egg Whites (liquid) to coat them.
    Put in container with Panko (Japanese bread crumbs) mixed with grated Parmesan cheese and get nice and coated.
    Lay on foil-line cookie sheet.
    Sprinkle with spices (I used little salt and parsley)-next time I will add some garlic

Put in oven at 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes. Panko will start to get a golden brown.

Super Tasty! Don't forget your favorite dipping sauce!