What's your grocery/other food bill like?

Options

Replies

• Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    For 7 of us we spend about 800-1100/mo including all diapers, non food items and pet food. This is "scrounging" and just barely making it... it's so expensive here :(
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I feel like maybe we are over doing it in my house! There's myself, my husband, our 15 year old, 10 year old and 9 year old and we spend anywhere from $150 - $300 a week depending on what we need! Thats with a whole lot of home cooked meals, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and Pizza Fridays! :)

Sounds about right to me...I have a family of five, myself, hubby, 17 year old, 10 year old, and 8 year old and we spend around $175 to $200 a week. I shop the sales, use Aldi's which is a discount store near me and I cannot get the cost down. But I have to buy some specialty items because my daughter is allergic to all forms of corn, including corn syrup which is in everything, and I'm diabetic and basically controlled without meds (I take one but it only effects my sugar a small amount). I also have a dog, and 2 cats.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I spend 40-50 dollars every week and a half or so, and about once a month I'll spend 100-120 stocking up on canned goods/frozen foods, etc.

I just feed myself.
  • skisgirl4e3
    skisgirl4e3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For my husband, myself, our son, the two dogs and a raccoon we spend $75 per week.
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    we spend 250 for 2 weeks for our family of 3 (and $30 is dog food), but we also prob spend an additional $60 going out to eat (once a week).
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    wish i could tell you. i don't really keep to a budget and that's my DOWNFALL!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    To, me that is high, but there is only myself and my boyfriend in the house. We usually buy groceries once a month and spend around $100-$120. But we used to eat out at least once a week. We've decided to not eat out much so the grocery bill will probably get bigger.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    We have a family of 5 and we spend around 130 a week/ with the exception of cleaning supplies and dog food. We also have to try and go fresh veggies/fruit and soy free/dairy free for my son.

Kelley

I need to know what you buy! But my husband, who is super skinny, eats around 3,500 calories a day. He has a really physical job.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    Seems low to me.

I was going to say the same thing. It's just me and my fiance, we buy the least amount as food as possible and it's usually around $125 a week.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    There are 6 of us in my household currently: 4 adults and 2 teenagers. My grocery budget (edbiles only--no household stuff) is currently $400/month, and we average $175/month eating out of the house. Earlier this year, before the 2 older kids moved home temporarily, I was spending $300/month for the 4 of us for groceries and we were spending approximately $125/month eating outside of the house.
  • MrsAmySchoener
    Options
    I spend 300-350$ a week depending on the houshold needs. Thats me, my work out obsessed hubby (and all his suppliments), 2 kids, and 3 dogs that eat EXTEMLEY well for dogs. We dont eat out much anymore maybe once every 2 weeks. We buy mostly organic vegies and fruit, and meat from a actual butcher shop where the animals are only grain fed without any antibiotics or food fillers etc, and farm fresh eggs from a neighbour.

If the meat you get from the butcher shop is claiming no food fillers and they are grain fed - I am sorry to say that that is food fillers.

I buy only GRASS fed and pastured beef, heritage certified pork and free range chicken and eggs. Those little bug and worm eaters scurrying around the yard lay the richest and best eggs.

I totally agree! We only buy free range eggs and Grass fed beef, and free range organic ground turkey, and organic chicken breast, it's expensive but it's totally worth it!
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I spend $150-200 per week for 5 people, 3 dogs, and 2 guinea pigs. This includes food, household items, clothes, etc. Everything except car stuff and my hobbies. Meal wise this is for dinner every night, lunch every day, and breakfast for the kids.

I shop mostly at Meijer but also hit Walmart (I HATE GOING THERE) and the local grocery when they have meat on sale.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    To, me that is high, but there is only myself and my boyfriend in the house. We usually buy groceries once a month and spend around $100-$120. But we used to eat out at least once a week. We've decided to not eat out much so the grocery bill will probably get bigger.

What?? What on earth do you buy? Do you eat oatmeal and rice everyday? I'm truly curious here :)
  • Lynne120
    Lynne120 Posts: 74
    Options
    Wow! I am really impressed with how low people can keep their grocery bills. I don't know if I'm crazy or just too honest, but for 2 adults, 3 teenagers, 2 ranch hands (adults for breakfast and lunch 5 days a week), and numerous friends of "said" teenage sons, I spend $1500-1800 a month. NOT including pet food. You don't even want me going down that road! We live in the middle of nowhere on a working ranch so I don't shop around.... I do big shops twice a month. We don't buy a lot of junk or processed food and only go out to eat about twice a month. I also pack my boys lunches when school in because school lunches are junk!

We eat very well and a lot of healthy food, but the men and boys around here work their butts off and can take down a tremendous amount of food! Dang, I spend $50.00 on milk alone in a month... can't imagine spending that for a week of food!
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Around $200 per week for our family of 6 . Sometimes it goes as high as $250.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    216839_o.gif
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Between 70 and 100 per week for me and the wife. But I'm a monstrous couponer.
  • ockara
    ockara Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We spend between $150-$200 a week(family of 4). We buy mainly GF Beef and good quality seafood and chicken, veggies from farmers markets, local farmer for eggs and a few things at the store for my kids.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My food bill is simple now that I am cutting down.

sweet potatoes
    whole wheat pasta
    veggies
    chicken breast
    steak
    mushrooms
    bottled water 24 pack (usually make 3 trips a week to get water though)
    I usually go weekly for most of my groceries, and end up spending a good 50-75 bucks.
  • fromfattytohealthy
    fromfattytohealthy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I buy things in bulk at BJs, and that is usually about 200 dollars once a month, minus the 30 bucks throughout the month to get milk. Then, about 100-150 weekly at the grocery store for produce and other odds and ends.