Dress Code

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Ever see a CEO in a tank top and flip flops in the office? Not likely - I totally agree with the poster who said it is professionalism. If you have a go-no-where entry level job then I can see where looking decent might be annoying, but if you want to go anywhere in the professional world you'll probably have to dress a little more appropriate for the workplace.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    ugh I hate that!
    There are def professional looking tops that are sleeveless! they're not spaghetti straps obvi but large, you could always wear a cute cropped cover up thing, I have a lot of those because i love being able to take them off afterwords and they have a lot of cute ones out there now too! lacey ones and stuff!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    When I was a vet tech, at first, it was optional to wear scrubs, and we could wear jeans. Then they hired a girl who consistently wore ill-fitting jeans that dragged the ground and drooped so much we were frequently mooned. Rather than just tell HER she couldn't wear those jeans anymore, we ALL had to switch to wearing scrub pants.

And honestly, that wasn't that big of a deal, because it was nice not risking getting blood, piss or poop on my "real" clothes. But it was frustrating because the doctors - husband and wife - would still wear jeans (sometimes yoga pants in the case of the missus), with a lab jacket or scrub top. Again, not begrudging them because they're the bosses and they made the rules, but I think it looked pretty goofy that the techs looked more professionals than the veterinarians. :laugh:
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You must wear your shirt for the entire duration you occupy the premises? REALLY?! I thought this was America.
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think a dress code is needed for extreme things.... Like I don't want to see my banker dressed in a speedo or my dentist wearing a bikini. lmao Some people need to be on a leash or it would get that crazy. I agree that nit picky things in office situations are absurd like "no jeans, no socks, no open-toe shoes". Who really gives a rip about that? Maybe it's micromanagement issues... pray for a new boss!

And now I can't get rid of the mental image of my banker / financial advisor wearing a speedo :(
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I think that's a matter of professionalism rather than prudishness.

What is so unprofessional about sleeveless blouse?

The problem is that you might be able to follow the dress code professionally, but your coworker could show up in a spaghetti strap tank top.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have to wear black or light khaki pants, and can only wear tops which are black, white, grey,or purple. Then I wear a white jacket over it.

I am an esthetician, and the colors are so that we don't clash with the paint colors in the spa...lol Seriously.
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    No jeans, except on Friday (if you pay a dollar) and Sunday
    No yoga pants
    No open-toe shoes
    No open-back shoes
    No sleeveless shirts
    No hoodies
    No shorts above the knee

Pretty strict dress code considering there are websites, youtube videos and even a book dedicated to showcasing the ridiculous outfits the customers wear. I think they should at least have to wear shirts if we're not even allowed to go sleeveless.
  • StrawberrySuzyQ
    StrawberrySuzyQ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Probably ruffle feathers here but.....as a business owner, we have a dress code. No open toed shoes...because at one time an employee dropped a case of house paint on her foot and not only broke her toes but dang near cut one off. So...no open toed shoes for anyone.

No shirts with "undesirable" graphics or verbiage. Again....we had an employee show up with a t-shirt that had two rubber hands clutching her boobs.

Jeans are okay as long as they fit well, have no holes, and don't sag at the butt. We had an employee with a hole in her jeans. She caught her leg on the edge of a shelf and since it was there the hole was, she cut her leg. Three stitches. No holes in jeans. We had an employee with saggy pants...tripped on them coming down the stairs. Sprained arm. No baggy jeans.

Tattoos are okay as long as they are not profane. There's nothing worse than having a cashier wearing a low cut shirt with a tattoo that says "F*** Me" scrawled across her boobs.

One visible piercing is okay as long as it is discreet. This excludes ears. Again...safety. One of the kids at work had a little chain from his ear to his lip. Got snagged and ripped it out. Stitches again.

So, while you might wonder what is wrong with wearing tank tops, somewhere down the line there was some sort of incident...whether it was an accident, a customer complaint, or whatever and the business owner said "ok...enough" We just will do away with tank tops.

Just my angle on the subject.

Thanks for the insight. I enjoyed reading this. Nine times out of ten there is a very logical reason as to "why" and sometimes we just need to accept it without having to KNOW "why." There was ALWAYS a great reason for some of the dress code rules at my one job that when I started a new one within the same field and started asking questions as to the dress code they looked at me like I was crazy! To me, that code made sense and even though my new job did not enforce the same, I still carried through with plenty of those just because I had done so for so long.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I can wear a T-shirt and jeans at my workplace, but I still come in with a polo or a long sleeve. :smile:
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I wear scrubs almost every day at work, unless I have a meeting. It's like being in pajamas ALL day:)
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Our office is business casual for the most part - jeans are accepted but slacks / polos are preferred.

I usually just wear pants and a polo shirt until I have to put my vest / gun / stuff on then I throw my uniform on and or polo uniform on.

I have never really worked in any place other than a job that requires some type of uniform I think I just prefer it. I worked at a warehouse once and any thing went there, only requirement was you had to wear closed toed boots and pants of any kind. As a joke a guy showed up with just boots and a pair of pajama pants and we let him work that way...

I have been in some corporate environments doing security for them at my current job and I have seen some pretty strict ones. There is a corporation in San Diego that requires all of its employees to wear specific brand clothing even though they are not affiliated with them whatsoever -
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i can where whatever i want to work.

i've gone in when i haven't felt ok in tights/pj shirt.

my boss / the owner wears jeans and tees everyday.

he knows i'm capable and we do most of our work online/via phone so how you look doesn't matter.

i do dress up for clients though.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    No jewelry for guys, 1 single piercing in lobes for girls. Black shoes and black socks. No crazy nail polish or hair colors.

Oh and suit and tie. >.<
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I would actually prefer uniforms. This way if I wear the same thing every day, it doesn't matter and I can spend my money on clothes I actually want to wear, and not that I have to wear to fit into our "business casual" dress code.

I so agree with this ^^ I have a closet full of "professional" clothes that I never wear anywhere but work. I'd love to just roll out of bed and throw on a uniform. and not have to decide what to wear.

you'd think so until you wound up in a polyester blend for a 12 hour shift or 2, lol!
  • Bucky2BeBetty
    Bucky2BeBetty Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I teach and this is our dress code:
    Appropriate Dress examples:
    In addition to good judgment, employees are directed to apply the following general guidelines for choosing clothing that is appropriate for school and models professionalism:
    • Suits
    • Dress or casual slacks, khakis
    • Casual dresses or skirts, reaching to at least the knee
    • Pantsuit
    • Shorts worn as part of a suit (city/Bermuda/knee length)
    • Capris
    • Long or short-sleeved shirts or blouses, T-shirt blouses, golf shirts, polo shirts, banded collar shirts
    • Blazers, sport coats, vests and cardigans
    • Loafers, flat shoes, dress sandals, boots and deck shoes
    • Dress items worn with School logo

Inappropriate Dress:
    The following items are not appropriate:
    • Miniskirts and sun dresses, halter tops, tanks, midriff tops, spaghetti straps
    • Any item of clothing that reveals cleavage
    • T-shirts and sweatshirts (excluding School, club or department shirts)
    • Denim jeans that are frayed, worn or with holes
    • Shorts (exception is referenced in “appropriate dress examples” above)
    • Sweatpants and athletic suits,
    • Spandex pants and form fitting stirrup pants or leggings,
    • Flip-flops (rubber), beach/pool shoes
    • Visible piercings other than on the ear

********************************************************************************************************************************************
    It is totally the building principal's call on what is acceptable, though. Building to building, the dress code and its enforcement varies. People who worry about the dress code and whether or not they comply were already dressing appropriately before it was adopted two years ago. Those who need the dress code most simply ignore it and, if no one calls them on it, wear whatever they want, just like before.