Unfriended for being too fat?

Options

Replies

• Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    there are plenty of people here who will be happy to be your friend with no conditions. you dont need to subscribe to her issues :)

Exactly! I've never heard of anything so stupid in my life. She's an immature *kitten* and not worthy of your time.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    that is ridiculous!! You can add me if you want!!

I'm with this!! Add me!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'm not my weight...I'm a good, kind person and that's what I want people to know me for.

I'm always in the market for these type of friends~!
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    SHE is just PLAIN...

tumblr_m719w0YW8M1qiqqgt.gif

People like this are not even worth a second thought...
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    i am in continual disbelief of how some individuals think.........you don't need people like that in your life.

^^this.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    mean people suck

This!
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Unfortuntately, she must be miserable herself to think that there is something wrong with someone who neeeds to lose 100 lbs or more. You are truly better without that negative energy. Add me if you like :-)
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It's the "cliques" which make me wish I was a little meaner. Just because you're only trying to shed a couple years of holiday binges doesn't make you better than the 300+ pounder who's trying to make themselves healthier.

I tend to come up with "HA, HA!" plans to make people face their hypocrisy - never actually follow through, but it's fun to imagine.

In this case, this is what I came up with: I would change my avatar picture to something benign, like a dog or something funny. My goal is currently to just cut bodyfat, and I have about 30 lbs left to go, so I wouldn't be lying for the next step - seeing if someone will friend me into the "skinny people" clique. Wait a few days, then change my avatar back. If I get called on it, I'd say something like "I didn't lie - I've only got 30 lbs to lose. It's just that the 30 lbs is the padding around 270 lbs of well-earned lean mass. Your 30 lbs that you want to lose is packed around 120 lbs. You might be smaller, but I've got the lower bodyfat. So, in fact, I guess YOU'RE the fat one." Then if they want to unfriend, I'd let them go. But there'd be the chance they change their view a little and maybe for the better.

That's one of my favorite things to do - blow someone's generalizations out of the water. I say I weigh 360 lbs, and most people think slow, squishy, and gluttonous. That makes me chuckle to myself.

But maybe that's a little mean - I'll just stick to just being me.
  • maaleka
    maaleka Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This in my point of view is crazy on so many levels. I was introduced to MFP by a dear close friend of mine and honestly when I ask someone to be my friend I am saying "I would love to be apart of your journey". Now the way someone really gets under my skin on MFP is by watching what I eat like I owe them something for it. No matter what you eat or drink or how you work out someone needs you to say "your doing a great job" , and anything less is just plain wrong! If I eat like you and work out like you than maybe I will be thin like you.. well hummm why are you on here then? Isn't the eating and working out or lack there of, Got you where you are? I am sorry someone unfriended you because of your weight but for real unfriending someone for other issues aren't right either, diet, exercise and love should be the reasons someone loses their weight. I personally love the variety of friends I have made on here! I have only had to Unfriend one person due to the fact she was getting ready to delete her account. MEAN PEOPLE DO SUCK! But what really sucks is when MEAN PEOPLE change nice people!
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    There is no end to people's stupidity. People should be better, but they're not.

Dogs are better than humans and should rule the world! My dogs remind me of this every day.
  • SA_80_2012
    SA_80_2012 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    screw her. She obviously has her issues and anxieties, and it's probably just as well she has unfriended you so you don't have to feel judged or discriminated by her.
    Some people are fattist. They don't intend to be, or think they are, but they assume that anyone overweight must be fat, lazy, bla bla bla, and they can't get past that way of thinking.

Couldn't agree with you more. Some people just assume that anyone they "consider" over-weight MUST be fat, lazy, or lying about the amount of hard work they do to be fit.

I'm told on a fairly regular basis that I'm *chubby*.
    Yet, I've been going to the gym for the last 6yrs.

I do it for myself, not to impress or compete with anyone... I do it because I want to live a long and healthy life. I also do it for my general wellbeing, and because above all else, it makes me feel happy... And God knows, I need all the help I can get to "feel" remotely happy right now.

There are ppl, men mostly, who have asked me if I'm going to the gym to read magazines, as they scan my body up and down... Had this particular comment not caught me off guard like it did, I would have told him to @&((#$ off.

I receive LOTS of very un-encouraging remarks.
    It's hurtful when some ppl are so quick and willing to judge us, the ones actively trying to look after ourselves.

Stay focused and don't let people's perception of you affect you.
    Keep at it. Pesist and don't give up.
    This person's loss at unfriending you, is definitely your gain.
  • Belligerent_Wombat
    Belligerent_Wombat Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I notice on MFP that there is a distinction between those who have 20lbs or less to lose, the people in between, and then the obese people who have 100lbs or more to lose. I don't really give a crap anymore. I'm on here to lose weight, plan on losing it, and if you can't support that, leave me the hell alone.

YOU TELL'EM! WOOO!!!

I need to lose 150 lbs. I guess that makes me an uber-loser. SUCK IT, SKINNY MINNIES!
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I received a friend request a few days ago along with a message from the person..I'm not including the whole message, but this was part of it
    They say you lose more weight if you have friends to help motivate you. I liked your post and maybe we can motivate each other. I don't have much to say to people who have to lose 100 pounds or so because I have enough of a fear of being fat so that between 20 and 25 pounds is the limit that happens to me before I start back down.

I had accepted the request and replied to her that I was one of "those" people who needed to lose close to 100 lbs and how that came about. I was nice about it and today I realize she's unfriended me...really? I guess I'm fortunate I've made it this far in life without dealing with discrimination...but from someone that also needs to lose weight? All I can say is..wow.

What a *kitten*.

I'd ignore it and not worry about it. Myfitnesspal is where you can meet supportive, encouraging people who are doing and undergoing changes just like you are. It isn't for those kinds of unsupportive people.
  • mrschastain
    Options
    let me share...My husband and I were at a restaurant the other day, my husband was talking to this guy that he used to work with. Suddenly this tiny girl/woman came walking (very fast pace) up to my husband, talking to the other guy "is this someone you know?", introduced herself shaking my husband's hand (big smile). My husband then said "this is my wife...", she took a good 4-5 seconds to look my body up and down, not my face and said "uh oh" gave a snotty look to side and started walking away. I was in shock! What a RUDE PERSON! We just left, I looked at my step son and husband in disbelief. We all could not believe her. I have let this bother me for days. We have even been in fights over, why he did'nt defend me, I think we were in shock! I wish I would have said something to her for being so rude. I was feeling so good for using mfp and she just took me down with one look! But I stayed on plan! (of course he talked about how stupid she was...but that didnt really make me feel better)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I don't see what the big deal is. Your goals don't match up with hers so she just unfriended you. She didn't call you a fatass or anything.
  • Nu_Journee
    Nu_Journee Posts: 29
    Options
    Unbelievable. It was a blessing in disguise. You don't need people like that in your life. You were lucky she took away her friendship. With friends like that, you don't need enemies!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Wow-How rude.

I have over 100 to lose and personally prefer friends who also have a long journey ahead of them. Reason being two fold, I want someone who knows where I'm at (have weight related /health issues, been overweight many years etc) and I want friends to be there for the long haul. Am not sure those who only have a few pounds to lose will continue with MFP once they drop the 20 or so lbs.

Not to say I don't have or don't want friends with just a few pounds to lose. I wish I would have decided to do this when I only needed to lose a few pounds, but I didn't. I give them credit for realizing what was happening and putting their foot down and doing something about it before the weight piled on.
  • Ravenclaw2012
    Options
    Really... REALLY? Losing faith in some people I swear. They don't deserve to lick the mud from your shoes! Just keep on towards the goal of being healthy and happy with yourself :)
  • hhudson88
    hhudson88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That really is completely ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feel free to friend me :) and we can go on this journey together :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What a fruitcake! This IS a weight LOSS site! How can you unfriend someone for needing to lose weight?! :huh: She'd just suck as a friend anyway likely.