Ladies! I need some opinions!

Options

Replies

• supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Poor OP. I'm sure we're confusing the hell out of you. The truth is that you may have to experiment to see what's best for you. I've been on BC pill more than half my life. Any weight I've gained I attributed to my eating habits...not the pill. Currently I'm on Yaz but I'm seriously considering switching to an IUD just because I'd like to use a non-hormonal method now.

Good luck.
  • ifitkillsme
    Options
    the pills made me sick and the shots i was on I gained weight --- but honestly i haven't been on anything for the past 10 years -- single and old fashioned :flowerforyou:

I would like to add that gaining weight is probably the least of the side effects of taking any kind of pill, as weight gain can be control with a little extra effort.

Last year i had a friend get a blood glot in her leg and was put on a high dose of blood thinners for 6 months, she now can not take any form of birth control. Two weeks ago I had another friend collapse with sever "stomach area" pains --- found a blood glot in her liver, cause - birth control. She is also on a minimum of 6 weeks bed rest, a daily shot in the stomach, blood thinners and will also never be able to take BC again. Third friend went to her GYN/OB just to check due to the other friends, and he took her off her BC. These are just a few examples, one friend was over weight, one ran every day and was very fit, the third is also fit. Blood clots are very dangerous and very scary!

I have absolutely nothing against birthcontrol - i promise, but please also listen to the other side effects that will come with it besides weight gain. There are other forms that you can consider that are not hormone based.

I was on pills for years. Then I developed a blood clot, it took two years for it to finally dissolve, then yesterday I found out I have another. Just be very careful and know the signs of a blood clot before you start any "hormone" type birth control.
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There MAY, however, be a small number of women out there whose bodies simply cannot handle the hormones, for whatever reason. If you go with a hormonal form, make sure you talk to your doc if you notice anything weird. (For example, I can't have hormones because they may have caused a stroke or migraine w/ aphasia -- scary stuff, and we're not sure what it was or if my bc was the trigger)

I'm NOT a doctor. ALWAYS talk to medical professionals before making any medical decisions. This is just my two cents, and I hope it helps. :)

I was on a pill for a very short time and found that it gave me horrible cramps and extreme mood swings. I told my doctor this and she insisted that the pill would regulate those things, not exacerbate them. After a particularly terrible day with mood swings (my then bf sat silent on the couch watching me rant and rave like I was insane and then held me while I sobbed!!) I stopped taking the pills and saw everything even out.
    My advice is to try out what you think is the best method for you and listen to your body. If you don't feel right, then talk to your doctor and try something different. There are soooo many options out there, don't settle for something that doesn't feel right for you.
    Oh, and I stopped seeing that doctor after that episode too. You need to be comfortable and be able to work through all your physical issues/symptoms with your doctor! Very important!
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I recommend Ortho Tri-cyclen -- no weight gain and clear skin. (As someone mentioned, do NOT let your doctor prescribe you Yaz, Yasmin or Ocella. There has been a lot of controversy surrounding them.)

I believe this was what I was on years ago that I had issues with. My body just didn't like it... terrible cramps and horrible mood swings... Everyone's body reacts differently to these things.
  • laura_lynn66
    laura_lynn66 Posts: 175
    Options
    you will gain a lot more weight with pregnancy vs birth control. IJS.

true that!
    Ask your doctor, but a low estrogen pill should not make you gian weight
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT!!!! AND I REPEAT, DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET THE SHOT!!!!!!!!!!

The shot made myself, and all three of my friends who got it gain a mystery 20lbs! We were all exercising, and (by fluke) we all got the shot around the same time, and we ALL gained weight.

DO NOT GET THE SHOT IF YOU WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT! YOU WILL GAIN!!!!!!

Also, there are so many side effects to long term use of the shot. A loss of bone density is one of the most severe.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I have an IUD and I LOVE it. 5 years no period. I can't blame my weight gain on it even though I have steadily gained weight over the past 4 years that I've had it but that's been my own fault.
  • rondom41
    rondom41 Posts: 16
    Options
    I take Microgestin. I have never experienced any weight gain from it. Weight gain came from over-eating and being lazy. :) I would highly recommend Microgestin, I've never had a bad experience with it over my 20 years of taking.
  • Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm on the ring, I like it because you only have to think about it twice monthly. It didn't make me gain weight.

I agree, I love it so much!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    IUD worked great for me~until it perforated. OUCH! Got my tubes tied instead. No weight gain, no hormones. It is a win-win for me.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have used just about every bc method..... I have gotten pregnant on the shot, the pill, and the patch!!! I tried the ring and really liked it, but got nervous when all the "legal action" stuff popped up on tv!
  • ashlafer
    ashlafer Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for three years now. You kind of have to talk to your doctor/gyno about weight gain, side effects, and what works for you. If you choose to try different brands/doses of hormones, try to experiment while you're on a fairly consistent exercise/diet routine. As in, when you switch from pill A to pill B, make sure you're keeping your diet/exercise patterns fairly similar, or else you may notice a shift in weight that isn't necessarily associated with said pill.

I'm on Ocella (generic for Yazmin), which is on the lower-amounts-of-hormones spectrum of pills, so I guess your weight isn't as affected.

When I started taking Ocella, I wasn't on MFP or watching my weight yet, but I didn't notice any obvious weight gain. I've lost about 16 lbs while on it, so I'm not really sure how it would affect me. I'm going to try out a few other pills during the school year, once my workout/eating schedule is fairly regular.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for a very very long time. I have an alarm that goes off on my phone at 10pm every night. Works like a charm.. It won't just make you gain wait. just watch your cravings should they change and you'll be fine.
  • krystle_swope
    Options
    you will gain a lot more weight with pregnancy vs birth control. IJS.

LOL.

Birth control is alot like weight loss. People who are too lazy to use one kind make excuses for why it's not the best way. As long as it doesn't make you bat *kitten* crazy and kill people and prevents pregnancy, just take one, any one.
  • Runs4CupCakes
    Options
    I currently have the IUD. I've had it now for a few months and my doc told me that it can actually help me lose a little weight. I've never been on the shot but my friend was for a long time and she gained weight while on it. I was on the pill a long time ago. Now I've always been overweight but when I was on the pill I'm pretty sure my weight stayed around the same if not I lost a little weight. Hope this helps!

what the doc dont tell ya if you gain or lose quicky it can turn and you can get pregers , i have the iud and i am careful about it bc my bestest got preganant when she lost 35 pounds the doc told her it was bc of the weight lost...so just be careful and check your strings
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I take yaz. And I gained about 10 pounds...But it was all in my boobs. I went up two bra sizes. I've looked at pictures from before I was on it and I was not near as toned and tiny as I am right now after taking it....Just bigger boobs.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i've only ever been on the pill. Yaz and Lo Loestrin FE to be exact.

i've never experienced weight gain. i actually feel BETTER when on it because I have PMDD and bc is treatment for my PMDD symptoms.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on whether you can remember to take a pill everyday, if you can then either choice is totally up to you.

I personally do not like the shot because the women in my family who have had it have all put on loads of weight AND fallen pregnant on it, so don't want to to risk it.

I am on the pill and have had no problems. All pills can make you put on weight because it increases your appetite, but many do not have that side effect.

Ultimately it is a decision you and your doctor need to make according to what is best for your body.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Nuvaring is the best thing ever!
  • lynnprice
    lynnprice Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have paraguard. The Non hormonal IUD. I did notice bloating after it was put in...but apart from that no big weight issues. But I do have my period a lot LONGER than before.

^^^ this. besides getting hubs snipped, this wsa the best solution for us.