Working out during period (for ladies)

Options

Replies

• classictoaster
    Options
    Before I was on BC, I struggled just to get out of bed - severe cramps and nausea/throwing up did not make me want to do anything. There were times when I actually passed out due to pain. I believe I had TOM on the extreme side, though, not really typical for most women.

Now, I have minimal pain - the first day I just pop an Advil to kill whatever cramps I have and go, after that I don't really care. If it's not inhibiting your ability to move, I say do it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Day 1 - I almost always take a rest day because I'm not feeling great and my energy level is low.
    Day 2 - A relatively short (30 minute) run or a bike ride
    Then day 3 on I'm back in the swing of things
  • kathgym
    kathgym Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try swimming. It is a good workout for during your period!

I was just about to say this! Works a treat for me too. Actually look forward to it as it makes me feel that much better.
  • cocotier
    cocotier Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    During my period, I don't work out as hard and I do things that I like. Gardening...I search for other activities to do at home. I am usually more tired and simply sluggish. I do try to do something, like going for nice easy walk with my dog. I don't stop exercising because it's harder to go back to it...I am looking for next week to getting back to "normal schedule"
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    absolutely NOTHING changes for me when I have my period-
    Is this an excuse for some? Or is it that bad?? Been getting it almost 30 years- have had 3 babies- I know women who call out once a month from it- and if I was their boss Id figure out a way to fire them.

Makes women look bad when we complain about our period I believe.

Just because you're lucky enough not to have a bad period does not mean others are the same as you. There are women who seriously suffer. You can't fire someone for being legitimately ill.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I work out the same. I suck it up, and I just keep pushing. You'll feel tons better after, also (especially if you usually cramp). The release of endorphin makes everything more bearable, and losing weight will also affect your cycle (less bloating, better disposition, less cramping, etc.). Think about the long term positives of a minor inconvenience today. :smile:

THIS! Don't let Aunt Flo control your life. Good luck!

That's not necessarily true. I've heard that working out makes cramping less, but I've passed out from the pain of cramps while working out. Working out actually increases them for me. We are all different.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Is this an excuse for some? Or is it that bad?? Been getting it almost 30 years- have had 3 babies- I know women who call out once a month from it- and if I was their boss Id figure out a way to fire them.

I'm very lucky that after 4 kids that my periods are not so painful but before that I could not move for the first 2 days due to crippling pains. At 14 I was put on the pill as the doctors had tried everything else for the pain.

Yes some women do use it as an excuse but for others it is an illness and be thankful you have never suffered as such.
  • hanneberries
    hanneberries Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    i avoid anything that has me on the floor, or on equipment. i'll go for a walk, but I get so much pain from tampons, and so pads just aren't as secure or as comfortable for me, and I really don't want to get up off the mat on the floor and have a big ol' blood stain there for all to see. On top of that, I have a very heavy flow (I go through a pack of overnight extra long pads every month), so.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

BWAAAHAHAAHHHAA!!!
  • filomenae
    filomenae Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm on my period right now and let me tell you, it's miserable. I hate running with period cramps- it's the worst! : P But.. I try to push myself anyway. I feel like a sack of rocks, but you just have to keep pushing yourself.
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Totally depends. At the max, I've missed a day. I don't skip all through the TOM!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I do it even if I might not want to cause it helps with my cramps and I feel better moving instead of just sitting around. Everyone's different though of course
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The best thing for being bloated and cramps is physical activity.... ask your doc....
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I always try to do something. But sometimes those first few days I just can't bring myself to workout! I get major cramps! I tend to lay around and alternate between advil and midol for the first few days, after that i'm back to normal!
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I workout as hard as I normally would. Unless I'm having really bad cramps, then I normally skip or do something lighter.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I don't let my period or PMS be an excuse. That is what got me here. I work through it. In the end I think the exercise helps with my cramps, bloating, and cravings, not my emotions though :cry:
  • shannypoo21
    shannypoo21 Posts: 329
    Options
    I always feel like I don't want to, but then I force myself. Once I've started I feel much better :)

^This^
  • tarakizer
    tarakizer Posts: 52
    Options
    I work out the same. I suck it up, and I just keep pushing. You'll feel tons better after, also (especially if you usually cramp). The release of endorphin makes everything more bearable, and losing weight will also affect your cycle (less bloating, better disposition, less cramping, etc.). Think about the long term positives of a minor inconvenience today. :smile:

This is precisely my attitude for my period. I suck it up, and I just do it. Taking time off from my routine just sets me back and makes me feel worse.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Being new here and new to exercise from very sedintary life of illness, I am making myself exercise more and more. My main exercise is on a recumbent exercise bike. I can relax and bike at the same time.
  • aspoerr
    aspoerr Posts: 13
    Options
    The first few days of my period are so heavy and killer- even just getting out of bed gets me light-headed; I normally feel like I just wrestled off an army of wild bears, and for me, working out while trying to endure a heavy flow is just plain uncomfortable.. So I just use those days as cheat days.

As it gets later in the week however, my energy levels go through the roof and I work off all of the cheat foods and laziness from the first few days of my period. Hah :tongue: