I'm so old...

Options

Replies

• ifitkillsme
    Options
    bringing home our first tv

Getting our first color TV when my sister broke her arm and we got extra $$ back from the insurance....
    Getting extra money back from insurance!?!?! :) That was a long time ago!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Oh ya how about eating at the table everynight at the same time like a family.

I miss that.

We eat two meals a day at the table as a family, still. :( All good things are not dead! We also are about to have a house where we will have a living room and a family room- and only a TV in one of them! In fact, we only have one TV anyway.
  • ifitkillsme
    Options
    Black Cow Suckers!!! They were delicious chocolate covered caramel and only a nickel at the small town grocery store!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    You remember mocking old people from back in the day... :sad:
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    Putting a penny on the tone arm so the record wouldn't skip.
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    or how about sayings like "if it's too loud, you're too old"

i remember that one when my kids put on some crap song and i'm like it's way too loud.
  • BillyC96
    Options
    Oh ya how about eating at the table everynight at the same time like a family.

I miss that.

We eat two meals a day at the table as a family, still. :( All good things are not dead! We also are about to have a house where we will have a living room and a family room- and only a TV in one of them! In fact, we only have one TV anyway.
    I tip my hat to you good lady!
  • cmpollard01
    cmpollard01 Posts: 246
    Options
    I am older than the microwave and the VCR.

I know what a VCR is. I remember when you could rent them from Blockbuster.

I know what Blockbuster is.

I remember Beta vs VHS!

Same HERE! Watched the cartoon version of The Hobbit on that!

And I remember when GAME SHOWS were actually GAME SHOWS...Card Sharks, the original Family Feud...Bob Barker when he actually had hair and didn't have the fake tan :wink:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Party lines and asking the operator for the number you wanted to call. Oh yeah and when my grandparents had a bathroom put in their kitchen, but all company (including grandkids) had to use outhouse no matter what the weather.
  • BillyC96
    Options
    or how about sayings like "if it's too loud, you're too old"

i remember that one when my kids put on some crap song and i'm like it's way too loud.

LOL! Just about everything they listen to sucks. It wasn't supposed to be like that.:laugh:
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    **** Clark before facelifts.
  • jeffrodgers1
    Options
    **** Clark before facelifts.

and automatic censorship...
  • hooktravellers
    hooktravellers Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The "ditto machine" produced purple inked worksheets in school. Sometimes they were still damp when you got them and everyone sniffed them!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My first game console was an Atari 2600. My parents bought one after they first came out and 15 years later, my brother and I played it. I ruled at Pacman and Frogger and Space Invaders.
  • Uniey76
    Uniey76 Posts: 7
    Options

Rotary dial phones... your finger would always slip somewhere near the last number. You'd hang up and start over. Or just hang up cuz it wasn't that important. It was often faster to just go across the street to see what your friends were doing.

Watching people actually take off in rockets. When was the last time you saw that on TV?

Ok I am not old (but was feeling old) and this post made me laugh. I can totally remember so much of this stuff. Brings back memories of growing up and spending time with my dad (who's gone 12 years).

I remember....
    Rotary phones, my fingers slipped all the time.
    Watching the Challenger blow up when I was in elementary school.
    Record players and how I got yelled at for not picking up the needle correctly and scratching the record.
    Playing outside until the street lights came on.
    When the only time cartoons were on was Saturday mornings.
    Black & white TV, with no 'pause'. ....My son looked at me like I had 5 heads when I tried to explain that one. What do you mean you cant pause or record it? LOL

And finally....I remember begging my dad to please please please connect PONG to the TV so we could play. :)
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The "ditto machine" produced purple inked worksheets in school. Sometimes they were still damp when you got them and everyone sniffed them!

Omgosh I forgot about the purple inked worksheets that smelled.
  • kumitekg
    kumitekg Posts: 61
    Options
    I forgot what I was going to say

I love this ! lol
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    When Tretorns were in style and I had a pair of every color!

Haha YES and green painter pants all tightend up at the bottom. Polo button downs!!
  • bp716
    bp716 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I watched 'Hockey Night In Canada' in black and white every Wednesday and Saturday. On my first trip to Maple Leaf Gardens in 1964 I saw the Toronto Maple Leafs play the Detroit Red Wings. The explosion of colour blew me away!

The TV got 2,4 and 7 in Buffalo , but if the wind was right we could get 9 and 11 out of Toronto....after we played with the roof top antenna and smacked the set....when the Sabres were the Bisons.....
  • bp716
    bp716 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    big hair with lots of teasing and hairspray :ohwell: and dark purple eyeshadow were in

using OJ cans for rollers.....