Sixers: The Resolution Revolution WK 2

Options
124»

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kel, you both look beautiful and happy to be together!! I had my three year old on Thursday and we jogged sledding! I pulled 35 pounds for two miles in the snow!!! I think he smiled more than nanna!! On they way back "we" slid down hills and then when we got home I showed him how to make snow angels! I wish someones could have taken our photo but it is something we will both remember!! He told my son, grampa, and the schwans man all about it!!! LOL I have had a busy day today! Did laundry, cleaned my whole upstairs and even shampooed it ! I considered that my aerobic activity for the day!
  • drtamm
    drtamm Posts: 427
    Options
    Verda- That was definitely a workout. Glad you had fun w/ your grandson.

Kel- How are things? Glad to see you!

Lauryn- Awwh that's the cutiest picture. I have been hiding from the snow this time. Doing dvd's inside and trying some yoga. LOL. That's a great Christmas picture for you! The job is in Danville, Va; I've heard its only 45 mins from Greensboro NC.

Cathy- business cards, such fun. Congratulations. Look at all you accomplished in 2009. Proud of you!!

Tiff- ARe you enjoying your break???? I bet you are!

Take care ladies,

Tamm
  • vhuber
    Options
    Got my 1 hour Insanity workout in! The HRM said I burned 620 cals, yahoooo !! I hope all is well with you!!!
  • gonabfit
    gonabfit Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hey Verda! Great job on the insanity workout! I'm going to do taebo and P90x after I clean today! :-D I'll write back to let you know what I do! Hold me accountable!

Tamm- Hope you love the job!

Hey chipper!

Lauryn that is SUCH a cute picture of you and your daughter!!!

-ok everyone I tried personals! lol!!
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Tamm I am hanging in there these days. Not doing any workouts or posting of foods. Not even going to worry about it until after Christmas. I haven't done any of the aboves since before Thanksgiving. So far I have been holding the scale at 155 to 157. If I can keep it there until the holiday is over I will be happy. I figure I will get with it the Monday after Christmas, thats my goal anyway. I see things are going great for you. :flowerforyou:

Well Gang I finally have my Christmas feast planned. Starters will be a misc assortment of appitizers that my daughter will be in charge of except for the talipia cevice that I will make. Spinach salad with feta cheese and strawberries etc. Shrimp scampi with angel hair pasta, Stuffed manicotti, and Chicken fetticini with mushroom alfredo sauce, garlic soft bread sticks, and ofcourse Blackberry pie, Pecan pie, and my favorite Little personal Cheese cakes with a varity of fruit toppings.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: And don't forget the drinks that go along with the meal.

Now if that doesn't add up to a million calories I don't know what does.......:blushing:
    This is why I am not paying any attention to what is going on with my diet at the this time. Let alone all the goodies that my freinds keep bringing to me and Tony. I will keep checking in on Tuesdays and will get back on the wagon as I said Monday after Christmas.

Any way Ladies I hope all is well with you all. Have a great Sunday and chit chat at you later.:flowerforyou:

Kel:heart:
  • vhuber
    Options
    Wow Kel your "feast" sounds marvelous!! I know you will be back with a vengence so enjoy your time with your loved ones! Got the middle floor cleaned and shampooed today!! I am ready for the week I guess!! I wish you all a great week and I will check up on ya tomorrow!
    Verda
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    good morning....

todays list is..... bank, store, clean house, laundry, wrap gifts.
    tomorrow....doctors in the morning, daily chores.

roofers should finish today.....hope (crossing fingers). busy day yesterday. granddaughter in parade, MIL b-day, bus. cards finished.
    getting stuffy. it's Christmas time. it's normal for me to get sick. (my dad walked out on my mom & i on Christmas day when i was 13). shanell says i need to confront him about it, but, we are both old now. just some years i make myself sick it think.

well, off and running......
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Just checking in to say hi! I've been doing a lot of shopping and baking, so hopefully that's burning a few calories. I've been tracking my food at least half of the day. Sometimes I do good until after dinner, and then have a few baked treats, and just feel like I've messed up the entire day. Oh well, Christmas is this week. I will feel happy if I at least keep tracking halfway and moving around as much as possible. I did weigh a couple days ago and was up about 2 pounds, but all things considered, that's not too bad.

I'm so proud of everyone who is really staying on track during this time. I can't remember specifically how I stayed on track during the holidays before, but I think it had something to do with being in law school and not having time to bake and bake and bake. :-)

-Alison
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I've been a little out of it lately. We had two feet of snow. Got stuck inside with kids while husband was out making money shoveling snow for 25 hours. Lots of junk. Bad, bad, bad. I did shovel some snow, just to get some form of exercise.

Chipper, I'm sorry this is a bitter sweet time for you. I don't celebrate the holidays, but they are reminder to me that a week after will mean 6 years since my first true love (my daddy) passed away, and thus I tend to get exhausted trying NOT to think about it. So here's a HUG to you, hoping you a healthy week.

Not looking forward to the weigh-in, but need to not use excuses. I still have two days to work some of that snow cream off. So here goes.

Have a great day everyone!
  • vhuber
    Options
    good morning....

todays list is..... bank, store, clean house, laundry, wrap gifts.
    tomorrow....doctors in the morning, daily chores.

roofers should finish today.....hope (crossing fingers). busy day yesterday. granddaughter in parade, MIL b-day, bus. cards finished.
    getting stuffy. it's Christmas time. it's normal for me to get sick. (my dad walked out on my mom & i on Christmas day when i was 13). shanell says i need to confront him about it, but, we are both old now. just some years i make myself sick it think.

well, off and running......
    Good Morning! Your days are always full are'nt they? I hope those ROOFERS get finished TODAY, that would be a gift in itself huh?! As For your father, I am sorry to read that but you know it is HIS loss! I did not have a father either (well obviously I did) due to him being an alcoholic and seperated from us. There were 13 children believe it or not! Mother was told it was her duty!!!! He died about 10 yrs ago and I went and seen him in the hospital ,I prayed with him and asked him to receive Jesus. He was a drunk and the shame was horrible living in very small town and everybody new him, to this day I worry about what others think!! Maybe I need a shrink, sure could not hurt!!! Anyway it is amazing how we carry around hurt, shame, neglect and not even realize it! I have prayed you do not get sick and that you are a good person deserving of love and you will find peace in your heart! May your day be blessed!
    Verda
  • chipper15173
    Options

Good Morning! Your days are always full are'nt they? I hope those ROOFERS get finished TODAY, that would be a gift in itself huh?! As For your father, I am sorry to read that but you know it is HIS loss! I did not have a father either (well obviously I did) due to him being an alcoholic and seperated from us. There were 13 children believe it or not! Mother was told it was her duty!!!! He died about 10 yrs ago and I went and seen him in the hospital ,I prayed with him and asked him to receive Jesus. He was a drunk and the shame was horrible living in very small town and everybody new him, to this day I worry about what others think!! Maybe I need a shrink, sure could not hurt!!! Anyway it is amazing how we carry around hurt, shame, neglect and not even realize it! I have prayed you do not get sick and that you are a good person deserving of love and you will find peace in your heart! May your day be blessed!
    Verda

thanks i needed that.

i have something to share i hope it doesn't a fend anyone. if you are i am truly sorry it is and wasn't my intent. i just wanted to share this. yesterday at the parade we got candy canes with this written on the package. i just thought it was neat. don't know if it's true, never really looked it up.
    ""the meaning of the candy cane""
    many years ago a candy maker wanted to make a candy that would symbolize the true meaning of Christmas - Jesus.
    the hard candy was shaped like a "J" to represent that Jesus is our rack of all ages. the candy was made of white to stand for the pureness of Jesus. the red represents the blood that Jesus shed to save us from our sins.
    so the next time you see a candy cane take a minute to remember the real meaning of Christmas.

time to get cleaning.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options

Verda

thanks i needed that.

i have something to share i hope it doesn't a fend anyone. if you are i am truly sorry it is and wasn't my intent. i just wanted to share this. yesterday at the parade we got candy canes with this written on the package. i just thought it was neat. don't know if it's true, never really looked it up.
    ""the meaning of the candy cane""
    many years ago a candy maker wanted to make a candy that would symbolize the true meaning of Christmas - Jesus.
    the hard candy was shaped like a "J" to represent that Jesus is our rack of all ages. the candy was made of white to stand for the pureness of Jesus. the red represents the blood that Jesus shed to save us from our sins.
    so the next time you see a candy cane take a minute to remember the real meaning of Christmas.

time to get cleaning.

Interesting...

The LEGEND of the Candy Cane

A Candymaker in Indiana wanted to make a candy that would help us remember who Christmas is really about. So he made a Christmas Candy Cane. He incorporated several symbols for the birth, ministry, and death of Jesus Christ.

He began with a stick of pure white, hard candy. White to symbolize the virgin birth and sinless nature of Jesus. Hard candy to symbolize the solid rock, the foundation of the Church, and firmness of the promises of God.

The candymaker made the candy in the form of a "J" to represent the name of Jesus. It also represented the staff of the "Good Shepherd".

The candymaker then included red stripes. He used three small stripes and a large red stripe to represent the suffering Christ endured at the end of his life.

The candy became known as a Candy Cane - a decoration seen at Christmas time. The meaning has faded, but still gives joy to children young and old, whom Jesus loves and treasures.

Another source...

One of the most often seen symbols of Christmas is the candy cane. Not only are candy canes used as a sweet Christmastime treat but they are also used for decoration. How did this seasonal candy get its familiar shape, and when did it become part of Christmas tradition?

When the practice of using Christmas trees to celebrate Christmas became popular in Europe the people there began making decorations for their trees. Many of the decorations were food items including cookies and candy. The predecesor of our modern candy cane appeared at about this time in the seventeenth century. These were straight, white sticks of sugar candy.

Part of the Christmas celebration at the Cologne Cathedral were pagents of living creches. In about 1670 the choirmaster there had sticks of candy bent into the shape of a shepherd’s crook and passed them out to children who attended the ceremonies. This became a popular tradition, and eventually the practice of passing out the sugar canes at living creche ceremonies spread throughout Europe.

The use of candy canes on Christmas trees made its way to America by the 1800’s, however during this time they were still pure white. They are represented this way on Christmas cards made before 1900, and it is not until the early 20th century that they appear with their familiar red stripes.

Many people have given religious meaning to the shape and form of the candy cane. It is said that its shape is like the letter “J” in Jesus’ name. It is also in the shape of the shepherds’ crook, symbolic of how Jesus, like the “Good Shepherd” watches over his children like little lambs. It is a hard candy, solid like a “rock”, the foundation of the Church. The flavor of peppermint is similar to another member of the mint family, hyssop. In the Old Testament hyssop was used for purification and sacrifice, and this is said to symbolize the purity of Jesus and the sacrifice he made.

Some say the white of the candy cane represents the purity of Jesus and his virgin birth. The bold red stripe represents God’s love. The three fine stripes are said by some to represent the Holy Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Others say they represent the blood spilled at the beating Jesus received at the hands of the Roman soldiers.

From its plain early beginnings to its familiar shape and color of today, the candy cane is a symbol of Christmas and a reminder of the meaning of the holiday.

Against it...

Myth – The candy cane was invented by a candy maker in Indiana around the turn of the last century.

Candy canes were invented in France in the 1400s. They were solid white. A German cleric put the crook in the cane to make it look like a shepherd’s staff for the kids of the church. The red stripes were added in the early 1900s.

And another...

Candy cane
    A candy cane is a hard cane-shaped candy stick. It is traditionally white with red stripes and flavored with peppermint; however, it is also made in a variety of other flavors and colored stripes. The candy cane is a traditional candy surrounding the Christmas holiday, although it is possible to find them throughout the year.

The candy cane was originally a straight, hard, and all-white candy stick. The cane shape is traditionally credited to a choirmaster at Cologne Cathedral in Germany, who, legend has it, in 1670 bent straight sugar sticks into canes to represent a shepherd's staff, and gave them to children at church services. Whether the choirmaster had the "Good Shepherd" in mind is unknown. Peppermint candy with red stripes first appeared in the mid-19th century in the Swedish town of Gränna [1], and striped candy canes in the early 20th century.

Candy cane - Urban legends about the origin of candy canes
    Apocryphal tales suggesting the candy cane was created wholecloth (usually by an American Protestant, usually described as being an unnamed candy maker in 1870s Indiana) to represent Jesus (white for his purity, red for the blood he shed, and the general shape for the J in his name) have become popular in recent years. These are recently created stories with no factual basis.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Kel, awww thanks! I miss you too! How are you? Has work slowed? I see you have a new pic on your profile. You look cold!! haha

Verda, thanks!! How in the WORLD? Your workout playing with the grandkid was insane! You are in so much better shape than I could ever dream of being, hahaha.

Tamm, Danville isn't far from me!! Cool! Let us know how that interview goes!

Tiff, you are so cute! Love you girl!

Kel, WOW, what a feast!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you can try to get in walks in the morning and the evening that day? LOL. One big feast won't kill you.... but the leftovers might. Send home as much of that with your guests as possible! lol

Ali, I manage to avoid that problem because I'm a terrible cook! LOL :) Maybe you can work on special low cal recipes?? I have no idea.

Lula, I'm jealous you got to shovel snow. I enjoy that kind of physical activity but don't own a snow shovel. :frown: I mean, I only get a good snow once every 10 years, for Pete's sake!

Cathy, I think a lot of women have "daddy issues". I was able to box mine away and bury them deep inside -- until my estranged husband started treating me and my daughter the same way my father treated my mother and me (as a kid). That unleashed a lot of mental anguish for me. I started therapy and am dealing much better with it all. I have a very strained relationship with my biological father --- luckily my mom married my stepfather not long after the divorce and he raised me, giving me a shining example of what a good father is. I think therapy helps, but it's understandable that you are upset this time of year. However, as my therapist often reminds me --- only you allow yourself to feel a certain way. If you allow him the control to still make you sad or upset, you must realize you allow it. Take control of your emotions. Refuse to allow him any control over you now. Refuse to allow your emotions to overwhelm you and make you sad. I say to myself, outloud and often, "I am in control of my emotions. Only I allow myself to feel this way", when I'm feeling sad. It's empowering and reminds me that I control my own happiness. Take charge, Cathy!! Smile, we love you!!

Kris, thanks for posting that info. Very cool!!!
  • chipper15173
    Options
    neat info on the candy cane. this is the first i had ever heard of the meaning of it.

lauryn....i so agree i do it to myself. my dad was very strict and stern, that could be why i still allow him to control. i never said no to dad. it's ok, i get over it and my family tries really hard to help.

roofers almost done, yea.... dumpster should be gone tomorrow landlord hopes. good...

tired, going to go lay down for a few. they just went to lunch.

later
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Found this while cleaning out old emails and thought it was a good one to share with you wonderful ladies...

Imagine. . . .

There is a bank that credits your
    account each morning with $86,400.
    It carries over no balance from day to day.
    Every evening deletes whatever part of the
    balance you failed to use during the day. What
    would you do? Draw out ALL OF IT, of
    course!!!!

Each of us has such a bank. Its name is TIME.
    Every morning, it credits you with 86,400
    seconds. Every night it writes off, as lost,
    whatever of this you have failed to invest to good
    purpose. It carries over no balance. It allows no
    overdraft.

Each day it opens a new account for you.
    Each night it burns the remains of the day.
    If you fail to use the day's deposits, the
    loss is yours.

There is no going back. There is no
    drawing against the "tomorrow."
    You must live in the present on today's
    deposits. Invest it so as to get from it the
    utmost in health, happiness, and success!
    The clock is running. Make the most of today.

To realize the value of ONE YEAR,
    ask a student who failed a grade.

To realize the value of ONE MONTH,
    ask a mother who gave birth to a premature
    baby.

To realize the value of ONE WEEK,
    ask the editor of a weekly newspaper.

To realize the ! value of ONE HOUR,
    ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.

To realize the value of ONE MINUTE,
    ask a person who missed the train.

To realize the value of ONE-SECOND,
    ask a person who just avoided an accident.

To realize the value of ONE MILLISECOND,
    ask the person who won a silver medal in the
    Olympics.

Treasure every moment that you have! And
    treasure it more because you shared it with
    someone special, special enough to spend your
    time.

And remember that time waits for no one.
    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery.
    Today is a gift. That's why it's called the
    present!!!
  • vhuber
    Options
    Kristin? I absolutely LOVED that and I THANK YOU for sharing it with us!!!
    Verda
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    kistinbee, I love it! Nice reminder for me this morning in my sour mood.

Really need to get back to the gym. I'm not a home exerciser, but I think I should become one. Snow has prevented me getting to the gym for 3 days and my body is feeling it. And my eating has been atrocious. Not really looking forward to the weigh-in. Hopefully I'll get to the gym tonight and today I'll force myself to make better food choices. Need to cut out all those processed sugars...but they are EVERYWHERE. But I feel it in my joints and my energy level. KICK....okay now I'm ready.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Here's the link to this week's challenge! If anyone is as silly as me and forgets that a new thread is started everyweek...here ya go!:tongue:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/73615-sixers-the-resolution-revolution-wk-3?page=1#posts-997725
  • katyk08
    katyk08 Posts: 302
    Options
    Hey loves :love:

Could I join in this challenge??