Tubal ligation

Options
124»

Replies

• Candi8099
    Candi8099 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody, I've been searching the possibility of getting my tubes tied and I am looking for opinions if anybody out there had the procedure done. I will like to know if you recomend it or not and why..What type of side effects have you experienced, including weight loss or gain.
    Thank you.

I got my tubal ligation (each tube was cut twice, then burned) following the c-section of my daughter that was born in July of 2008. I was married, had a boy & then a girl, the little Boston Terrier too, heck the only thing that was missing was my little white picket fence wrapped around our house. We knew we were done having children so I went ahead & had the procedure done to then realize we were done with our marriage as well (2009).

I met someone else who does not have any children of his own. He proposed to me in April of this year & I got my (irreversible) tubal ligation reversed in June of this year. YES it is possible. :)

Back to your question: If you're wanting to get the procedure done simply because you don't want any children, make sure it is something that you are 100% comfortable with. I only say that because at the time, I truely was. Then things changed. I was blindsighted by a lot of things. I didn't regret it right away, but about 2 years went by before I actually decided I wish I hadn't done it. There are other methods out there too. ;)

Side effects: I did not have serious side effects for say (nothing weight related), but painful cramping during TMO & ovulation. Heavy bleeding for about the first 3 or 4 days, but it would take a full 7 days to be "back to normal" whereas before my tubal ligation my cycle was usually 3-4 days. I was definitely nowhere near a 28 day cycle either (before it was a 28 day cycle like clock work). After the tubal ligation (& before the tubal reversal) I would go anywhere from 31-39 days (I guess that part is not too bad lol, just the not knowing WHEN can be a bit of a bother). I do have an app downloaded on my cell called MyDays. I LOVE it! I am currently using that to keep track for that because since the tubal reversal because my cycle itself & the days in cycle are adjusting to the changes. I've already noticed some changes with my one cycle so far (less bleeding & less days).

If I had to put my biased two cents in, I wouldn’t recommend it, not because of my side effects, but because of it being such a permanent procedure. I wish I would have taken more time to weigh my options out (good for you for doing this now). It surely will vary by a case by case basis though. Feel free to message me with any other questions, concerns, etc. Good luck and I'm sure what you decide will be best for YOU :D
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Not sure what exactly it is called but what about having just your uterus removed? Still leave the ovaries for the hormones. Just an idea/thought.

edit-This was meant for Amymt10..lol

Thanks, I have thought about that. My periods are horrible!!!
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I had mine tied after the birth of my last child, and though I love the freedom from worry about pregnancy, I have had horrible periods every since. I used to be one of those that never got a cramp, and had about 3 days of light flow and I was done. Now I have cramps for about 2 days that are so severe that I require prescription pain medication and my flow is out of control. Sometimes to the point that I am afraid to leave my house. I might be the exception to the rule, in fact I hope that I am, but that has been my experience. It's so bad that I joke with my friends that I can't wait for menopause. lol

Sorry that happened to you!! But I dont feel alone!! I was diagnosed w/endometriosis after having my tubes done. Flow is now so bad I have to wear tampons & a pad at the same time for the first 2days, cramps are horrendous and I spot all the time.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I got it done cause I was sick of taking birth control and I knew I didn't want anymore children, no matter what happens in life, I'm happy with the two I have and do not want anymore with their father or anyone else. It's the best decision I've ever made. No longer have to worry about being late, no longer putting hormones into my body. I had soo much problems before I did it, after I got it done, I feel so much better now and my hormones are all in check, it's great. Oh and I did not gain any weight from it. Also, the recovery was fine. It was done as an outpatient, went in through my belly button, I slept most that first day and was back to myself the next day. Had it done on a Friday just incase I needed the weekend to relax and was totally good to go by Monday.

BUT the question comes down to..why are YOU wanting to get it done? What are your reasonings?
  • Clarisse0304
    Clarisse0304 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Have your hubby go and do it. Mine wishes now that he had it done instead of me. I was a rare case but I got a serious infection from mine. I had it done at the end Feb. 2011.By the 1st of April I had an abcess the size of a softball. They had to remove my left ovary. It was very intense and lengthy recovery. I did lose weight but that was b/c I was so very sick. Its easier on guys so just have him do it. :)

My husband had a reversed vasectomy, he said the procedure was painful and since he went under the knife twice (once for vasectomy, second for reversal) for his ex, he won't do it again
  • je551caDan13ls
    Options
    I have had mine done for 12 years now and wish I hadn't done it. Just make sure this is a decision you can live with for the rest of your life. I want more children with my current husband and can't, really heart breaking stuff, so what ever you do just make sure.....Good Luck
  • Clarisse0304
    Options
    I got it done cause I was sick of taking birth control and I knew I didn't want anymore children, no matter what happens in life, I'm happy with the two I have and do not want anymore with their father or anyone else. It's the best decision I've ever made. No longer have to worry about being late, no longer putting hormones into my body. I had soo much problems before I did it, after I got it done, I feel so much better now and my hormones are all in check, it's great. Oh and I did not gain any weight from it. Also, the recovery was fine. It was done as an outpatient, went in through my belly button, I slept most that first day and was back to myself the next day. Had it done on a Friday just incase I needed the weekend to relax and was totally good to go by Monday.

BUT the question comes down to..why are YOU wanting to get it done? What are your reasonings?

Have tried every single birth control out there, and have had bad side effects form it.. been on Mirena for 4 years and now experiencing the side effects of it, so I have to have it removed and that lefts me without any other birth control left to try. My husband and I have agreed to not have any more kids, Our yongest being 12. I am completely positive that I don't want any more children and if there was even a remote possibility of having another one, adoption will be an option. But we are 110% positive that we don't want to conceive any more children. I am still a little scared being that this is a surgical procedure.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options

Have tried every single birth control out there, and have had bad side effects form it.. been on Mirena for 4 years and now experiencing the side effects of it, so I have to have it removed and that lefts me without any other birth control left to try. My husband and I have agreed to not have any more kids, Our yongest being 12. I am completely positive that I don't want any more children and if there was even a remote possibility of having another one, adoption will be an option. But we are 110% positive that we don't want to conceive any more children. I am still a little scared being that this is a surgical procedure.

Don't be scared sweetie. I know it can be, but as long as you have full trust in your ob/gyn, I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like it'd be a good thing for you to do.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Did it. Loved it. But be very sure your decision not to have more kids is final. Even when tubals can be reversed, your chances of getting pregnant will be reduced.
  • Clarisse0304
    Options
    How long ago did you get yours done..I've noticed that alot of the positive responses come from people that were in their 20's which it makes me think that the younger the better the recovery. I am 33 now and I noticed that my body changed alot since I turned 30. So I will like to hear from someone that got it done around their 30's or 40's
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    There's a procedure called Essure where your doctor inserts a metal coil into your tubes and the scar tissue builds up around it - it's much less invasive than a traditional tubal and, while uncomfortable when implanted, might be a better options.

I did this. I was acutally surprised by the amount of pain I felt during this process but in the end it was worth it.

@Nelski
    How long ago did you have Essure done? Any side effects? I'm scheduled to have it done in September.

I have not read through all the responses but if you have had a tubal pregnancy in the past, you shouldn't get the Essure done. At least that's what my GYNO told me.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Daughter had it done 12 years ago after her second child was born.
    Got a divorce 7 years ago.
    Got remarried 4 years ago to a SUPER guy, and they wanted kids together.
    Had the reversal, now they have 2 yr old twins, a boy and a girl.
    Seems to have worked out well.
  • heggleston921
    heggleston921 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Here are my two cents:

I wouldn't want a birth control option that is permanent. You just never know what the future brings. As much as I can fully say (today) that I don't want any more children (mine are 14 and 15), I can not do anything permanent. Plus, who wants to be sterile and still have periods? If I have to be sterile, it better be because all that stuff is gone!

Besides, I have highly irregular periods. Even if I had a TL, I'd still want to be on the pill anyway, just to regulate my cycle.

Therefore, the pill remains (and will remain) my method of choice. Still looking forward to menopause. :wink:

Good luck with your decision.