I'm so old...

Options

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    When i was a kid a "bit" was what one kid did to another and a "byte" was wrong on a spelling test. I am so old that I remember when a parent was called to the school over little Johnny's behavior, it was little Johnny that got in trouble... Not the teacher. I am so old that I grew up on 25 cent gas, rode in the back of the police chief's pickup-truck, drank from a water hose and played outside until dark. we did not mind having only 3 channels on television because after Daddy got home, he made the show choices anyway... Saved a lot of getting up and changing the channels because the old black and white did not have a remote.. but it DID have vacuum tubes. I remember learning to TYPE on a TYPEWRITER since the only computer in the high school did not have a monitor and had to be programmed with punch cards. Shorthand was a class that was taught and the slide rule was a common sight in the school. I knew better than to tell mom when I got in trouble because I was in double trouble then... There WERE certain advantages to not every family having a telephone ... let alone a cell phone (which did not exist in most markets anyway... but I was really seldom in trouble anyway because getting in trouble was looked down upon rather than encouraged and applauded. A lady was to be respected and certain words were off limits around her... and NEVER did you hear her utter sailor talk.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I remember busy signals!
    I remember party lines...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I remember A-bomb drills at school, we knew the Russians were out to blow us of the face of the earth and got to practice duck and cover at school (the air raid siren tests were a regular thing) . I still remember the announcement on the school p.a. the John Kennedy had been shot (even though we were in Canada Kennedy was very highly regarded and every kid over kindergarten age knew about the Cuban missile crisis - I grew up on Army bases so the Cold War was a part of our lives)

I also remember going to the theatre for a Saturday matinee and my 50¢ weekly allowance would get me in, buy a small coke and popcorn and I'd have enough left over to buy a malted milk at the drugstore (back then most drugstores also had a soda fountain)
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Kids actually went outside to play and only came in to eat or when the street lights came on.
    Thumbs up on that one!
  • Skyyy12
    Skyyy12 Posts: 24
    Options
    Age is just a number! It's all about how you feel! There's plenty of 80 and 90 year olds who feel young and great! There's plenty of 20 somethings and teenage kids who act and feel much older than they are.

Sooo true!!!
  • Arperjen
    Arperjen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I remember being kicked outside to play, but then not wanting to come back in.

I'm glad I missed the bulk of what the youth has to go through today. I mean we had an NES, cable, and a PC (that good ole' 286) but it wasn't a 24/7 thing. I could never grow up in the social media age.

^^ Yup.

Ahh, Oregon Trail Day at school. Other days it was Number Munchers.
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    .... I have to go to bed now.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I saw Moses come off the mountain.

Isn't that on every Easter?

Touche'!

But I saw the real one. :p

I sat next to Jesus in school. ;P

Beat me to it...yes I looked over his shoulder.

Only when he turned the other cheek? Lol
  • tyott995
    tyott995 Posts: 4
    Options
    Party phone lines, and when someone didn't hang up, you had to walk over to their house, knock on the door and ask them to hang the phone up!
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I remember A-bomb drills at school, we knew the Russians were out to blow us of the face of the earth and got to practice duck and cover at school (the air raid siren tests were a regular thing) . I still remember the announcement on the school p.a. the John Kennedy had been shot (even though we were in Canada Kennedy was very highly regarded and every kid over kindergarten age knew about the Cuban missile crisis - I grew up on Army bases so the Cold War was a part of our lives)

I also remember going to the theatre for a Saturday matinee and my 50¢ weekly allowance would get me in, buy a small coke and popcorn and I'd have enough left over to buy a malted milk at the drugstore (back then most drugstores also had a soda fountain)

I remember this also as I grew up on air force bases
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I remember hiding in the closet with the cord hanging out talking to my boyfriend. :heart:
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Age is just a number! It's all about how you feel! There's plenty of 80 and 90 year olds who feel young and great! There's plenty of 20 somethings and teenage kids who act and feel much older than they are.

-Says the 24 yo. I kid, but 24 was my favorite age! :)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    When I was growing up we only had one channel. It was KTVO, Kirksville, Ottumwa. Channel 3.

I remember wearing the Little House on The Prairie type pinafores. I loved them!

We sold the church type pictures to earn money for our school. One year I sold the most pictures and won a Bible.

We didn't have running water and we had an outhouse.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Drive-in movies. *sigh*

I still have 2 within a short drive from me!!

We have one as well! Just went this passed weekend.
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    When i was a kid a "bit" was what one kid did to another and a "byte" was wrong on a spelling test. I am so old that I remember when a parent was called to the school over little Johnny's behavior, it was little Johnny that got in trouble... Not the teacher. I am so old that I grew up on 25 cent gas, rode in the back of the police chief's pickup-truck, drank from a water hose and played outside until dark. we did not mind having only 3 channels on television because after Daddy got home, he made the show choices anyway... Saved a lot of getting up and changing the channels because the old black and white did not have a remote.. but it DID have vacuum tubes. I remember learning to TYPE on a TYPEWRITER since the only computer in the high school did not have a monitor and had to be programmed with punch cards. Shorthand was a class that was taught and the slide rule was a common sight in the school. I knew better than to tell mom when I got in trouble because I was in double trouble then... There WERE certain advantages to not every family having a telephone ... let alone a cell phone (which did not exist in most markets anyway... but I was really seldom in trouble anyway because getting in trouble was looked down upon rather than encouraged and applauded. A lady was to be respected and certain words were off limits around her... and NEVER did you hear her utter sailor talk.
    Amen brother! Weren't we neighbors? JK, but THAT is how it was...
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    listening to records.. on a record player...

Oh

and Beta tapes.. way better than VCR... which I do still have and use....
  • IHeartNewMe
    IHeartNewMe Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I remember learning DOS commands on this beauty:

300px-IBM_PC_5150.jpg

And I used to save my files on these!:

cooper_8floppy.jpg

Me too!! But to top that, I remember typing many financial statements (I was a secretary for a C.P.A. firm when I was 19) on this lovely machine!

ENidIBMselectricOriginalModelsmall-300x218.jpg
    [/quote]
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I'm so old, I thought to myself today, "I'm actually quite comfortable driving 55."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyJWVw6xqY0

I'm so old, I graduated HS the year you were born.
  • lynnprice
    lynnprice Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    HyperColor t-shirt?

totally!!!!
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    candy-cigarettes.jpg