Help?! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Options
So I've been actively using MFP for almost four weeks now. And my weight is pretty much back at square one and I'm not sure why.

I'm kicking my own *kitten* working out every day for about an hour (Insanity and then a mix up of either treadmill, Jillian Michael's or bike ride). I'm staying under my calorie goal (which is 1200 a day; with my workouts my net is usually 800-900 and I don't feel hungry). Drinking my water (maybe not 8 cups every day - but I'm not drinking anything else if it's not water, or coffee in the AM).

I've lost about an inch and a half on most of my measurements.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions. When I started I was on my period (sorry guys) so I those two extra pounds I chalked up to water weight, but recorded them. Now I'm not on my period and those two pounds are back.

The fact that I have to plan out dinner based on this app is kind of annoying, but it helps, or so I thought. But when the numbers on the scale are going backwards I'm not really seeing the point.

But on the positive. I'm feeling great! My pants aren't SO snug, I'm in a better mood, productive, I'm sleeping better (minus my husband's snoring). I know these are all great things and I shouldn't go by the numbers on the scale but I just can't help it when I work so hard and see "no results".

Replies

• amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit more. Try to not net below 1200.
  • jennadiane_
    jennadiane_ Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Really, don't net below 1200. That seems like a lot.
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    So I've been actively using MFP for almost four weeks now. And my weight is pretty much back at square one and I'm not sure why.

I'm kicking my own *kitten* working out every day for about an hour (Insanity and then a mix up of either treadmill, Jillian Michael's or bike ride). I'm staying under my calorie goal (which is 1200 a day; with my workouts my net is usually 800-900 and I don't feel hungry).

^^ This. I understand MFP gave you a goal of 1200 calories per day. I'm on the same plan. I'm not going to get in to the debate of whether you eat back your exercise calories or not. I do sometimes and sometimes I don't. That being said, if you are falling under your 1200 BEFORE exercise, that's not good. Your body will not want to let go because it's shocked into thinking it's getting too little fuel and expending too much energy. I know it seems hard to do, but try to work out a daily menu that's at least 1200 calories. I've always found when I stalemate or plateau, increasing my calories with healthy food helps to get the scale moving again.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    If you lost inches then why does it matter what the scale read? Would you rather the scale say you lost 5 lbs and not lose any inches. What I am saying is you should continue measuring and throw out the scale ;-). I am not sure what you are looking to lose but netting 800-900 calories is really low, If you exercise regularly you need to start eating more, I would try 5-6 small meals a day
  • MissBee1989
    MissBee1989 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1200 is the very least you should be eating as it's sounds like you are exercising a fair bit, your body has most likely gone into starvation mode. eat at least 1200 a day and I think the weight will come off x
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Losing inches is better than losing weight. That's great progress for four weeks.

But I also agree. If you are working your butt off with exercise, you need to be netting more than 1200 calories. (unless you are short)
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Eat your 1200 and half of your exercise calories back, opening your diary will help us give better advice, for instance maybe your getting too much sodium. After a while you will know what you can eat so it won't be so hard to plan your food out for the day once you do this for a while
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I'm staying under my calorie goal (which is 1200 a day; with my workouts my net is usually 800-900 and I don't feel hungry).

Eat more.
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Do not get locked into the scale. Definitely keep track of inches as a lot of times even though you are not losing pounds, you are losing inches. Do not net under 1200, thry to keep your intake to 1200 even after exercise.

Don't be discouraged, it will get better.
  • tlythgoe
    tlythgoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. It's normal to see no movement on the scale, or even see weight gain, during the first few weeks of starting intense exercise. The key is to continue to use the tape measure as well as the scale. If you are losing inches but not weight then you are doing it right. Eventually your muscle gains will slow and your weight will drop as you continue to burn fat.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    What you're doing wrong is that you are not eating enough dear. Netting under 1000 is not going to help u reach your goals.
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    What kind of food do you eat? I've learned that all calories are not the same, food matters.
  • jennadiane_
    Options
    - I'm 5'2... and before working out I'm usually eating about 1500-1800 calories depending on the day, my work schedule, etc.

- I assumed since I was eating enough calories wise and burning a decent amount my net didn't really matter.

- Yay. I get to eat more I guess... even though I'm not usually too hungry.

- I don't mind planning out my meals for the day. Actually makes life easier but for instance my husband got a pizza last night and before I could even open the box I had to stop and figure out how much I could eat - it was kind of annoying.
  • silico
    silico Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have relevant information to this topic:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/238282-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing-redux?hl=700+calories

I seem to be sending more and more people to that link...
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat.

Not a chance when you have such a big calorie deficit - generally you can only build muscle when you have a calorie surplus

Possibly extra water in the muscle due to increased exercise
  • jennadiane_
    Options
    I'm eating what I normally would except I'm not indulging in it and eating until I'm stuffed. I started adding more fruits and veggies which aren't so bad. ;) Portion control pretty much is my "diet". If I feel like I'm on a diet per say I'm starving adn I hate it and it sucks.

So I'll increase my net calories and hopefully will see some changes.

Thanks guys!!! :)
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Your body is not in starvation mode. You are not gaining muscle. Muscle does not weigh more than fat.Sorry, those are all true. Do eat more, you're going for a lifestyle change correct? Not an "i'm going to eat 800 calories for 4 months then eat normal and gain it all back" approach. And be patient. You didn't gain weight overnight, you won't lose it overnight either.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    From experience, I can tell you that in the beginning I lost 6lbs fairly quickly since starting this on July 2nd. I've maintained those 6lbs lost even though I was going up and down on the scale alot. However, I'm soooo happy cuz I look better. Lost an inch around my arms (upper), lost 2 inches in my stomach, and 3 inches right under my bra area (don't know what that's called.lol). So overall, no one really knows how much I weight, except for my husband, so as long as others can visually see the change, then I know THIS is working! Chin up and never give up!
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're in plateau mode. Your metabolism froze. You should try to eat a bit more to ingest more calories and work out less. Instead of working out for 1 hour everyday. Try to just do it like 3/4 days a week untill your metabolism restarts and you start losing weight again.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Honestly, you might want to exercise a bit less, and give yourself a little more time to recover between workouts. Rest and recovery is at least as important as the exercise itself. (And yes, there's a good chance you need a little more food...)