Gary Taubes

Options

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Are insulin spikes normal in people?

Like am I weird because I've never had one and have no idea of what this concept even refers to in non-diabetics?

All this crap about so and so does and doesn't make you hungry....

People don't even know what hunger is for the most part. They misinterpret the signal they get from their body that says "I normally eat now" and think that it means that they need to eat now. If you eat one meal a day, at the same time every day, and get adequate nutrition in that one meal, over the course of a few weeks you will completely lose all "hunger" at all other times of the day. Hunger as most of us know it is merely our bodies way of keeping us on schedule, and our bodies want to be on schedule. Strongly.

So how come when I overeat one day, I actually get less hungry the next day? Also when I eat little and exercise a lot, my body will at some point overwhelm me with hunger later on. Seems there is always some kind of delayed compensatory response going on with regards to correcting short term energy imbalance.

Maybe hunger can be controlled like this in naturally thin people, but in someone who can easily gain weight when they put their guard down, I think hunger is pretty much chronic when you resist it.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    BTW, eggs are very low on the insulin index since they are have a good amount of fat. Combining fat with protein slows insulin release (lowers the insulin index) and combining fat with carbohydrates slows blood glucose conversion (lowers glycemic index). This is all because fat in general slows gastic emptying and delays nutrient absorption in the small intestines.

That is basically why a high fat diet is good for controlling blood glucose and insulin (so long as fat is eaten with everything)

So we could just eat cake and ice cream?

From what I've read, I've come to the belief that the absolute worst thing you can do for both cardiovascular health and weight management is eat a high fat, high carb diet. I think the ratios must be inversed for someone who has weight struggles, although I'd argue the majority of the obese would probably fare better on low carb.

With low carb, high fat, your insulin levels stay fairly low and your body is adapted to burning more fat with more stable hormones and thus lower hunger.

With low fat, high carb, your insulin levels are higher, so you are inhibiting fat release and burning more glucose. However there

isn't much fat to store and DNL is not a significant factor in fat accumulation.

But when you combine them, you end up with high insulin levels with inhibited fat release and tons of fat to store. So you're burning glucose, storing fat, and then asking for more glucose because your fat isn't being mobilized fast enough. That's the perfect storm for creating a caloric surplus.

I said NOTHING with regard to quantities; sorry but using terms like "high, low" can be vague. One needs to determine their essential macro needs first (fat and protein). The minimum fat need is roughly 40g fat/day, which is fairly moderate. Protein needs are highly variable and carbohydrates needs are pretty much there only to cover calories burnt from aerobic activities (somewhere around 100-125g/day if you simply walk about 1hour a day and have a non-physically demanding job). Your body was designed to use glucose stored as glycogen, glucose only converts when you exceed your glycogen storing capacity ("spill over"). You can increase the amount of glucose you can store by increasing muscle mass; people with less muscle have less storage capacity for glucose and can more easily exceed their glucose stores.

Figure your macros and calories and COMBINE macros when you eat is all I am saying. It wouldn't hurt to increase glucose storage capacity with gaining some extra muscle either - that's why weight lifting helps with stabilizing blood glucose levels.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The insulin effect of cream is found to be modest, as it's basically fat, compared to large effect of pure protein......

http://www.ajcn.org/content/75/4/767/T1.expansion.html

note how glucose level unaffected by insulin spike from protein, which lasted well over 3 hours so "hump" rather than spike.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    Free will.

Your body adapts itself to the way you treat it. Overeat, and your body will adapt itself and adjust hunger and satiety signals to match the overeating pattern. Under eat, and the body will adapt the other way. You have to remember, from an evolutionary standpoint, human beings evolved with a feast or famine metabolism. When food was plentiful, humans gorged and gained fat. That way, when the food ran out, they could survive on fat stores. Early humans generally ate once every 2-3 days most of the time, sometimes eating every day, sometimes going weeks without food. The body evolved and adapted to this practice.

Now, of course, modern humans have 24/7 access to food. The human body hasn't adapted to that. It still responds to feast and fast. So when a person starts overeating, the body adapts its responses to store fat, as it's preparing for the eventual fast that it expects to come next. Unfortunately, the fast usually doesn't come, other than crash dieting. This is why people yoyo diet. The body is just doing what it has evolved to do. The body itself doesn't think, it just does. Our brain does the thinking. Unfortunately, a lot of people tend to turn their brain off when it comes to eating.

It's the same thing with activity levels. The more active you make yourself, the more your body adapts itself to being active. The more sedentary you are, the more the body adapts itself to being sedentary. The body will generally adapt itself to any condition that it's told to adapt to by the mind. The mind controls the body. A lot of people ignore that fact, and then try to blame it on their body, like Taubes. He blames overeating on the body being obese, rather than the body becoming obese because the person allowed themselves to over eat. It's a classic logical fallacy of the circular argument.

Responding a little late to this, but I don't think this is entirely satisfactory. I don't believe for a moment that every overweight person is a glutton who consciously ate themselves into the misery of obesity. I also don't believe the often touted "people are stupid" theory either. Taubes theory may not explain it but that doesn't mean there isn't something else going on. Perhaps some people experience greater pleasure from eating and particularly as children find that this drives them to naturally eat more. As I said, this is not an effort to avoid responsibility on my part but none of the explanations offered are satisfactory to me. Apparently I gained weight after I had my tonsils removed when I was a child. In recent years I've researched this a little and it turns out this is quite common and has been studied. One theory is that removing infected tonsils improves sleep quality resulting in a less hyperactive child resulting in less energy expenditure. Interesting stuff. Point is, I may have initially gained weight as a child due to a reduction in energy expenditure. This lead to a lifetime of battling weight.

As an adult the question is, why do some people choose (there is your free will) to eat more than others? Is every overweight person just pathetic and eats too much KFC because they can't get enough of a good thing? I struggle with that as an explanation. Could it be that being overweight has caused some form of metabolic derangement? Perhaps some changes in neurochemistry? What about Leptin Resistance?

In the end we all make the choice to eat the deep fried mars bar or not, but that isn't to say there aren't physiological mechanisms making it harder for the overweight person to resist.

My gut feel is that there is more to this story.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Metabolic set point has no bearing on hunger and satiety signals. If you are constantly eating one way, and develop a specific eating habit your body is trained to expect food at those times. If metabolic rate drops, your body is still trained to eat at the same times and amounts you are eating. People eat so often nowadays the the body never signals "true" hunger. What most people think is hunger is really just the body saying "hey, we usually eat now."

As for leptin resistance, it's a real possibility. The problem is, leptin resistance is caused by obesity. It doesn't cause obesity. So again, it comes down to overeating. Overeating does not mean gluttony. It means eating over your metabolic set point. Due to individual set points, it can be easier for some people than others. That doesn't change the cause, or the basic reason.

It's never a matter of what is eaten, it's always a matter of how much.
  • grinch031
    Options
    Metabolic set point has no bearing on hunger and satiety signals. If you are constantly eating one way, and develop a specific eating habit your body is trained to expect food at those times. If metabolic rate drops, your body is still trained to eat at the same times and amounts you are eating. People eat so often nowadays the the body never signals "true" hunger. What most people think is hunger is really just the body saying "hey, we usually eat now."

As for leptin resistance, it's a real possibility. The problem is, leptin resistance is caused by obesity. It doesn't cause obesity. So again, it comes down to overeating. Overeating does not mean gluttony. It means eating over your metabolic set point. Due to individual set points, it can be easier for some people than others. That doesn't change the cause, or the basic reason.

So can you substantiate any of your claims that set point has nothing to do with hunger / satiety signals and that its all based on learned behavior?

Can you also substantiate your claim that leptin resistance is caused by obesity and not a cause of obesity? How does obesity cause leptin resistance anyways?

Your theory doesn't explain why people fall off the wagon after several months or even years of dieting. If it was all about learned behavior, then it should be possible to train yourself not to fall off the wagon. The reality is that the vast majority of dieters end up regaining their lost weight, probably because the mind has much less control over food intake then we think.

If its not a matter of 'what' but 'how much', then how can you explain people automatically lowering their calorie intake when they cut out carbs or cut out processed foods? Is it about behavior or is it about satiety? How do you explain people who substantially increase their exercise without restricting calories and don't lose any weight? If its all about behavior, why would someone who exercises eat more by default?

Why does leptin replacement therapy make it easier for people to maintain lost weight?

Too many holes in your theory the way I see it.
  • Bird22122
    Bird22122 Posts: 1
    Options
    I haven't read Taubes book....however, it sounds like maybe his message is what my endo explained to me..
    My endo explained that my symptoms are due to excess insulin in my system.
    My blood sugar numbers are fine....but ever since I had my child 10 years ago (I had gestational diabetes) I have had to be really careful what I eat...I always have to have protein in the morning and I become very tired after I eat especially if there are too many carbs....and eating any sugar treat like icecream will cause me crash hard!
    I eat healthy. I rarely eat processed food. I only drink water and unsweetened tea and coffee. I don't eat very much food at all. Less than most people... I have tried calorie restricted diets but they leave me with no energy, lightheaded, lethargic, and starving!

My endo explained that this insulin issue is common in woman who have had gestational diabetes. He put me on a low dose of Metaformin which has made a huge difference in my energy levels during the two weeks I have been on it....and told me to eat protein and lots of veggie...and to get my carbs from veggies...and he did say to go easy on the red meat:)
    So I will now be cutting out whole grain bread and pasta...all grains....
    He said the medicine will even out my insulin levels and that my high insulin levels are causing me to store fat. The high levels also cause more Androgens which then caused the facial hair....and they also raised my cholesterol.

Before I was pregnant I never really had a weight problem...an extra 5 pounds from time to time.....over the past ten years I have gained and loss 50 pounds about three times..I'm only 5'1....and my health has been getting worse each year...I have even developed a huge thyroid tumor although my thyroid numbers are ok...
    I am happy that I am finally getting some answers because it really is not as easy as calories in vs. calories out....

I believe other posters were trying to explain that by giving the name of their conditions but if people don't understand the conditions then they are not going to understand that our bodies have different requirements. Cutting calories may work for someone who has gained weight from eating too much...but it won't help for people who have endocrine issues....
    And with the rise in diabetes, PCOS, and other endocrine issues it seems that Taubes may have something here as to why so many people are struggling with their weight...why the rise of diabetes? It is not because suddenly everyone is eating too much.

It took 10 years for a doctor to finally help me....It bothers me to see people still saying that it is all about calories in vs. calories out...
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    lol@taking studies using rats seriously.

Seriously guys, rats react differently than humans to a LOT of stuff. We've pretty much cured every disease in RATS, doesn't mean that same drug or treatment will work in humans.
    [/quote]

Every medical drug, procedure, and technique is tested on rats before they're even allowed to think about trying it on a human being. Studies on rats should be taken very seriously.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

So can you substantiate any of your claims that set point has nothing to do with hunger / satiety signals and that its all based on learned behavior?

Can you also substantiate your claim that leptin resistance is caused by obesity and not a cause of obesity? How does obesity cause leptin resistance anyways?

Your theory doesn't explain why people fall off the wagon after several months or even years of dieting. If it was all about learned behavior, then it should be possible to train yourself not to fall off the wagon. The reality is that the vast majority of dieters end up regaining their lost weight, probably because the mind has much less control over food intake then we think.

If its not a matter of 'what' but 'how much', then how can you explain people automatically lowering their calorie intake when they cut out carbs or cut out processed foods? Is it about behavior or is it about satiety? How do you explain people who substantially increase their exercise without restricting calories and don't lose any weight? If its all about behavior, why would someone who exercises eat more by default?

Why does leptin replacement therapy make it easier for people to maintain lost weight?

I'm not talking about learned behavior. I'm talking about biological and hormonal adaptations to behavior. Leptin and ghrelin cycles adjust based on your eating patterns. If you eat the same number of calories, but split it into 6 regular meals, ghrelin will adapt and start sending out hunger signals at the usual times you eat, even if you aren't actually hungry at those times, due to adaptation to a feeding schedule. Same reason a person who adapts to intermittent fasting doesn't feel hungry during their fasting periods, or a person who chronically under eats stops feeling hungry. It's not a learned behavior, it's a physiological adaptation. And yes, people will tend to feel hungry during their normal eating times, even if they aren't hungry and don't need to eat, which is where the free will and being mindful of food intake comes in.

As for people spontaneously reducing calories when cutting carbs, I haven't seen any real evidence of that, other than proponents of low carb diets making the claim. I know from personal experience I actually eat more calories when I reduce carbs, because I love meat, and fatty foods, and without carbs to fill up on, I will overeat on meat and fat if I'm not actually counting my calories and being mindful of them.

And leptin resistance is caused by too much leptin in the body, leading to desensitization. Leptin is made by adipose tissue, having excessive adipose stores causes excessive amounts of leptin to be made and released. So in order to become leptin resistant, you need to have excessive body fat. Excessive body fat is obesity. Obesity causes leptin resistance.
  • grinch031
    Options

I'm not talking about learned behavior. I'm talking about biological and hormonal adaptations to behavior. Leptin and ghrelin cycles adjust based on your eating patterns. If you eat the same number of calories, but split it into 6 regular meals, ghrelin will adapt and start sending out hunger signals at the usual times you eat, even if you aren't actually hungry at those times, due to adaptation to a feeding schedule. Same reason a person who adapts to intermittent fasting doesn't feel hungry during their fasting periods, or a person who chronically under eats stops feeling hungry. It's not a learned behavior, it's a physiological adaptation. And yes, people will tend to feel hungry during their normal eating times, even if they aren't hungry and don't need to eat, which is where the free will and being mindful of food intake comes in.

As for people spontaneously reducing calories when cutting carbs, I haven't seen any real evidence of that, other than proponents of low carb diets making the claim. I know from personal experience I actually eat more calories when I reduce carbs, because I love meat, and fatty foods, and without carbs to fill up on, I will overeat on meat and fat if I'm not actually counting my calories and being mindful of them.

And leptin resistance is caused by too much leptin in the body, leading to desensitization. Leptin is made by adipose tissue, having excessive adipose stores causes excessive amounts of leptin to be made and released. So in order to become leptin resistant, you need to have excessive body fat. Excessive body fat is obesity. Obesity causes leptin resistance.

Well there are several studies listed below showing ad lib low carb diets are more effective than calorie restrictive diets at weight loss, and it is because of spontaneous reduction in food intake. Keep in mind these studies aren't saying there's a metabolic advantage, but just that people are losing more weight just by reducing carbs while not thinking in terms of calories. Also there's clear improvements in health markers by lowing carb intake.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/science

Another problem i see with your theory is that most people eventually regain the lost weight within a year or two, so those physiological adaptations are not permanent, but just temporary. When someone loses weight from dieting their leptin, grehlin, insulin, and other hormone levels can become deficient for years.

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/35055
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1105816
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    As for people spontaneously reducing calories when cutting carbs, I haven't seen any real evidence of that, other than proponents of low carb diets making the claim.

Here's an old study that was to hand - http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/23/7/948

770 calories less per day on an "ad lib" but low carb eating regime.

Certainly worked that way in my family, taking away the potato / fries / pasta / bread and replacing with an additional vegetable took a wack out of the calories and the carbs for the same protein portions. Earlier I was discussing with a guy on Atkins induction (265 lbs) that he was full yesterday but only ate 950 calories.

Taking away one of the three groups of macronutrients, and one of the two with no limit on useful consumption, is very likely to reduce intake. "But what do I eat" came the cry.
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SJS39
    SJS39 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I only got to the 6th study but im sorry to say they were flawed. A few did not hold calories constant which is, frankly, an embarrassing control to neglect. And the last three reported statistically insignificant results being that the standard errors were so beyond being able to pass a t-test. I could read the others but I expect more of the same mistakes.
  • SJS39
    SJS39 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As for people spontaneously reducing calories when cutting carbs, I haven't seen any real evidence of that, other than proponents of low carb diets making the claim.

Here's an old study that was to hand - http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/23/7/948

770 calories less per day on an "ad lib" but low carb eating regime.

Certainly worked that way in my family, taking away the potato / fries / pasta / bread and replacing with an additional vegetable took a wack out of the calories and the carbs for the same protein portions. Earlier I was discussing with a guy on Atkins induction (265 lbs) that he was full yesterday but only ate 950 calories.

Taking away one of the three groups of macronutrients, and one of the two with no limit on useful consumption, is very likely to reduce intake. "But what do I eat" came the cry.

The study had 11 people in it. That's a really small sample size and definitely not large enough to reach any conclusions.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Any diet that helps you lose weight without making you outright sickly will improve your health markers. People have eaten nothing but plain white potatoes, or Twinkies, lost weight and come out of it with better bloodwork than they started with. That's not unique advantage of low-carb (or any other) diets.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I listened to the audio of his book while walking - the walking burnt off a lot and the brain strain of trying to understand burnt off more

I really like him, smart and he seems to dispel many myths - however I cant make sense enough to see if he is right,

...... but there is no way I'm planning on following his advice - too extreme for me.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I will say that it is possible to do low carb and low calorie, because I am doing it!!!!! I feel more satisfied Physically and mentally. Starches make me fat and moody. And I have heard it from doctors themselves, they do not get taught all realms of nutrition.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't follow Gary Taubes, but if you want to start eating meat again I suggest not going for the gusto immediately. Do it gradually...try eating some dishes with meat in them like stir fry where there are veggies mixed in too. Also, I would go for poultry and seafood first, before diving into red meat especially if you are struggling with the psycological aspects of eating meat too. Generally what they do to beef is a little bit more brutal! Oh, and I would eat organic too. I love cage free chicken, it is so much more flavorful and is more humane since the chickens get to run around and aren't just all caged up simply because they will be used for food.
  • BrandonDoom
    BrandonDoom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As far as Tabues, he does a good job of picking apart the lipid hypothesis. The rest of what he says starts with a premise that is based on a very old study that says that overweight people don't eat more than normal weight people. We've known for decades that this simply isn't true.

I just read "Why we get fat and what to do about it". Most of it suggested that (although he's careful not to say anything with certainty because he admits that enough studies haven't been done), that people don't get fat because they overeat. They overeat because they get fat. We have the cause and effect backward.

And he's 100%, certifiably, wrong as hell.

Certifiably wrong as hell? Hmmm. Right. Since you are a nutritionist. Go ahead buddy, tell us how he is wrong and you're right.
  • BrandonDoom
    BrandonDoom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The whole "insulin spiking" argument that people like Taubes make does not make sense. Protein "spikes" insulin also, not just carbohydrates while fat does not acutally "spike" insulin.

That is absolutely incorrect on so many levels. But hey I'm allowed to say you're wrong once because it's all you have been doing on this thread. Ya "protein" spikes insulin? No. Sorry. High glycemic index carbs spike insulin like your favorite pastas and bread. Protein has very little effect on insulin response. Low carb has been a savior to diabetes and Even heart disease. Anything you put into your body has an effect on insulin. It's about what you put into it that spikes it. This stuff is more successful for overweight people as far as weight loss goes. Not like you and some of the genetic smaller dudes that have probably never been too overweight.