Olympics 2012

Options

Replies

• PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bah humbug I am sick to death of the Olympics !!

2 months of non stop flying restrictions, the newspapers, radio, tv full of nothing but Olympic coverage and hardly any proper news

The roads are clogged, the tube is clogged , tourists are being ripped off from the price of a beer to the hotel rooms they are staying in.

And we will never be told the truth about how much more it has cost against how much revenue it brought in.

In a country where everything from the roads to the NHS is falling apart through lack of money I think you can count me out of the celebrations !

I agree completed!! But being a Northerner I'm bound to - we're not seeing any of the "benefits" up here!!!

I agree! The country should be concentrating on putting money back into the NHS and other IMPORTANT things. Especially a country that is having the worst double dip recession in over 50 years. I will watch some of it, but I am sick of the hype. I normally go to London this time of year but there is no point!
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    The ceremony is going to be so embarrassing :( I think I'm going to migrate.

Pikey!!
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just think it's ridiculous, but I'm not the biggest fan of the Olympics full stop.

Ya don't say??

By that, I clearly mean regardless of the host city.

Quit being so negative.

Because you don't like it when people have different opinions to you?

Seriously, not meaning to be obstinate, but I don't see the problem in me stating that I, personally, do not like the Olympics. I find most of the sports hideously boring. My mum and I might tune into the gymnastics for a bit of a giggle, but I find them tedious. I am well aware of the fact that clearly, millions disagree. But this thread was for stating opinions on the Olympics, no?
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I love watching the Olympics! Can't wait!
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I wish I was in London for the Olympics :sad:

Me2

WHY I want to get out of London I have had enough now I can't get time off work so am stuck here I am fed up with all, things like this should be left to the Americans or maybe even the Emirates now
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I just think it's ridiculous, but I'm not the biggest fan of the Olympics full stop.

Ya don't say??

Quit being so negative.

Seriously, not meaning to be obstinate, but I don't see the problem in me stating that I, personally, do not like the Olympics. I find most of the sports hideously boring. My mum and I might tune into the gymnastics for a bit of a giggle, but I find them tedious. I am well aware of the fact that clearly, millions disagree. But this thread was for stating opinions on the Olympics, no?

lol
    No, because negativity is boring.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Ya don't say??

Quit being so negative.

lol
    No, because negativity is boring.

But *****ing and moaning is so fun!
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am so excited!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I will probably be missing most of the Olympics, as I don't have cable :frown: booooo! I don't really have time to sit at the computer and watch it. Guess I will have to go without this time.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I want to watch the 5000 m and 10000 m race! Go KENYA!
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    I will probably be missing most of the Olympics, as I don't have cable :frown: booooo! I don't really have time to sit at the computer and watch it. Guess I will have to go without this time.

It will be on NBC pretty much all day/night.

THAT is free.
  • jeet1966
    jeet1966 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ENJOY! We loved it when it was in Vancovuer in 2010, not often the kids get a front row seat to such an international event. It brought Canada closer and created a national identity which is still evident two years later.
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    I'm so excited about the Olympic Games!!! I did watch the GB game against Senegal las night, took GB a long time to get that first point, LOL. Enjoy the games everyone!!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • The_Iron
    The_Iron Posts: 288
    Options
    I am getting my 7yr old hyped up for the opening ceremony this evening. There will be pizza, ice cream and alcohol !!!

GO TEAM USA !!!
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Probably at the time London bid for the Olympics the economy was better, since you've got to bid so far ahead. I'm sure those of you grumbling and complaining would sit there asking for heads to roll if London said at the last second, "oh WAIT, we can't really afford this. Sorry world, find somewhere else to play". Years go into building and planning. You would've been screaming about national pride and how you needed to buck up and do it anyways because it's an honor and prestige thing, how bad it looks that you've backed out, blah blah.

If Londoners and the British people were so against the Olympics, why did you guys bid on it? For the Prestige. And now that you have it for a historic 3rd time, you're sitting there complaining and grumbling and whining.

Most countries can't afford to do the Olympics. Brazil certainly can't. The world economy is bad. Even amateur athletes have a tough time because unless they're pros they have close to ZERO money and it's expensive to train, travel, etc for the Olympics. You know why it's done? Because other than a few exceptions it's one of the few times that the world can pretty much come together in one event. For the first time there are women in EVERY sport (per NBC this morning), there is an Afghani female sprinter who is the only female member of her team who will be racing for a medal, there's a shooter from Malaysia who is 8 months pregnant. There is a South African runner who has prosthetic legs who is competing. And, yes, even the Saudi team has sent female members (there's an issue with the headscarf for safety in Judo but they are part of the Saudi team).

So enjoy your "once in a lifetime experience" and when it's over you'll be surprised how many good memories you might actually have. However, keep up this garbage attitude and a lot of tourism that would've been won from it will disappear - right now, Londoners are looking like a bunch of complaining, unhappy, bitter people and who wants to vacation around that?

Rant over. :smile:
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    woohoo! go Kayla Harrison, Steven & Diana Lopez, and USA Basketball !!!
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    Probably at the time London bid for the Olympics the economy was better, since you've got to bid so far ahead. I'm sure those of you grumbling and complaining would sit there asking for heads to roll if London said at the last second, "oh WAIT, we can't really afford this. Sorry world, find somewhere else to play". Years go into building and planning. You would've been screaming about national pride and how you needed to buck up and do it anyways because it's an honor and prestige thing, how bad it looks that you've backed out, blah blah.

If Londoners and the British people were so against the Olympics, why did you guys bid on it? For the Prestige. And now that you have it for a historic 3rd time, you're sitting there complaining and grumbling and whining.

Most countries can't afford to do the Olympics. Brazil certainly can't. The world economy is bad. Even amateur athletes have a tough time because unless they're pros they have close to ZERO money and it's expensive to train, travel, etc for the Olympics. You know why it's done? Because other than a few exceptions it's one of the few times that the world can pretty much come together in one event. For the first time there are women in EVERY sport (per NBC this morning), there is an Afghani female sprinter who is the only female member of her team who will be racing for a medal, there's a shooter from Malaysia who is 8 months pregnant. There is a South African runner who has prosthetic legs who is competing. And, yes, even the Saudi team has sent female members (there's an issue with the headscarf for safety in Judo but they are part of the Saudi team).

So enjoy your "once in a lifetime experience" and when it's over you'll be surprised how many good memories you might actually have. However, keep up this garbage attitude and a lot of tourism that would've been won from it will disappear - right now, Londoners are looking like a bunch of complaining, unhappy, bitter people and who wants to vacation around that?

Love this!
  • UnderConstructionLuis
    Options

Well said!
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Super excited! Got the DVR scheduled, pizza for the kids and uber nacho's and drinky poo's for the adults!!!
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    The ceremony is going to be so embarrassing :( I think I'm going to migrate.

haha yes. anything that involves live farm animals isn't going to be "a spectacular event" as it was described on the radio this morning!! I'm looking forward to it though as if it's completely crap the world will be able to see what the British do best. Take the piss out of ourselves!!
    I'm gonna need a large glass of wine maybe - heard rumours of sheep and fake rain - though it being fake may be unnecessary after all!! :ohwell:
    Hoping it's great and the weather doesn't let us down as it has done so far this 'summer' .