Why do people do this??

Options

Replies

• krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    Erm anti-social much?

My boyfriend complained when I sat 1 row in front of a guy in the cinema when there were loads of chairs free. I wanted to sit bang in the middle and that was the best seat so I sat there.

Don't know why people have such problems with personal space. Don't get me wrong I don't go about getting really near to people and getting all up in their face but it's nice to be friendly and social sometimes. it's how humans are made.

Obviously not every human is made that way if people are complaining about it.
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Ok ok, I get it. I'm an irritable b*tch and should try to be nice to people (I wasn't rude BTW, I just carried on with what I was doing)

I just thought it was a little weird.

Haha, I couldn't stand the people who said it was "normal" or whatever. I'd be kinda pissed if someone got next to me when there are like 20 more. Usually people say they need help, and some people don't. Apparently she was one of them. Or she was trying to get to your man haha. But I thought it was weird too. Some people are just on the forums to disagree with everyone and be a ***** about it when someone tells them otherwise lol!
  • thunderchld
    thunderchld Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I did just that thing today. I got in between two people when open ones were available down. HOWEVER, I have a valid excuse, imo.

I go to the gym at 5-5:30 AM and always use the last one on the row. The row has about 3 machines, 3 each of 3 different brands. (like A1 A2 A3 B1 B2 B3 C1 C2 C3). I really like C3. Someone was on C3 when I got there this AM! C1 was in use too. I really don't like A or B model, so I got on C2.

I also know that person on C1 and C3 weren't together.

So...sometimes there is a reason?
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It would have annoyed me as well in that particular given scenario.
  • kithalloyd
    kithalloyd Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    how was she suppose to know it was your fiance?? maybe she joined you all for motivation so that she could be between two people instead of being alone across the room. Maybe she could have asked but being that there was a gap I wouldnt have thought you were together either.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    *Shrug*
    I like my personal space as much as the next person but to me if you don't want someone you don't know next to you while you workout...workout at home.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    She couldve been unaware that you 2 knew each other and thought--I'll look really antisocial if I pick a treadmill far away and I'd much rather join the party--so hey...why not? Lol
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Why does it really matter? Honestly, was this interfering with your workout? IDC if theres someone next to me...If you go to a public gym there are going to be other people near you.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Ok ok, I get it. I'm an irritable b*tch and should try to be nice to people (I wasn't rude BTW, I just carried on with what I was doing)

I'm with you 100%. I get annoyed too with this kind of thing too.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Most people adjust to this kind of thing on a plane or bus or even in a crowded gym. You already know that a stranger will be next to you and you don't sweat it. But when there are clearly other options to give each other space, doing that is simply strange.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    the only time I've ever been bothered by this was when a guy came in and used the treadmill next to me when all the others were open. I was bothered because he smelled like he had just smoked a whole pack of cigarettes before coming in. It was so bad that after a minute I got a horrible headache and switched to the treadmill all the way on the end on the other side. Other than that I'm not paying that much attention to closeness unless they smell like that or perfume.
  • chubbachub
    chubbachub Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know, I hate this too. Although I must say, I do have one cross trainer I only like to use and this may have been the case here. I will purposefully squeeze in between two people regardless of etiquette so i can use the machine i like.
  • chubbachub
    chubbachub Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Also, sometimes it does help to be near people exercising in an empty gym - especially with treadmills - i dunno it can motivate you in an odd way, to keep up with them, to go at their pace or to last longer and keep going...kind of thing.
  • gwarner85
    gwarner85 Posts: 2
    Options
    You know I was taught don't sweat the small things, this is a small thing. If you get easily irritated over something like this maybe instead of judging someone else think back and look at what your doing. Is it really something to get worked up over?:ohwell:
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why it mattered??? It bothered you so much, you posted about it??

>Funny your picture reads, "Who will you inspire today?" Wasn't inspired by your comment to the topic! LOL!!

HAAH i was thinking the same exact thing
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Last night my fiance and I went to the gym late so there was only like 4 people in there including us. Out of the 25 treadmills our gym has, there's a row of 9 right at the front so you can watch the TVs while working out so we went in that row. I got going on the treadmill on the end but my fiance found the one next to me didn't have the radio connection so he moved along one, leaving a treadmill free between us.

Now bear in mind there are 25 treadmills across 3 rows and even in the row near the TV, there were like 7 free treadmills. Oh and bear in mind that there were only like 4 people in the gym.

This woman comes and gets on the treadmill in between me and my fiance. There were 23 other treadmills in the gym but she picks the one in between us. I was so annoyed!! There should be some sort of etiquette where you just don't get on the treadmill/bike/elliptical right next to someone unless you really have to. My fiance said its like in the urinals where you don't use the urinal right next to someone else unless there's no other option!!

Sorry for my rant, it might seem petty but I just couldn't understand why she did it! The funny thing was she looked at my settings and tried to copy my speed and incline but it was too fast for her and she nearly went flying off the back lol!!

Wow, you get set off pretty easy. You have no right to set rules for any space other than the one you are currently occupying. Chill out before you have a stroke.
  • Caged_Heat
    Caged_Heat Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't post on the Message Boards. Everyone has an opinion...
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Who cares??

I guess I'm more the type of person that is in my own little world....and don't pay attention nor care what other people are doing.

The only problem I have is when people are staring or worrying about what I'm doing. (Why do people do this?! haha)

Get over yourself. :flowerforyou: Life will probably be a much less stressful place.
  • nickyjl81
    nickyjl81 Posts: 66
    Options
    This is why I don't post on the Message Boards. Everyone has an opinion...

Lesson learned. I'm steering clear of these forums from now on.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

It is super annoying. I hate when people do that :grumble: ESP when they but in and then are super obnoxious to top it off.