Are you and your family close to each other?

Options
124»

Replies

• MrsBobbyNevada
    MrsBobbyNevada Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord yes. It's a blessing and a curse. My family is super close. It took my sisters husband a little while to get used to the idea of such a close family, but we've converted him to one of us.

The downside, everyone is in your business. The upside, everyone is in your business. Always available for a helping hand or advice whether you want it or not. My parents, brother and sister all live within about 2 miles of each other. It's handy for babysitting or when you want a free home cooked meal. I'm the black sheep as I live about 10 miles away which is way too far for my mother, but sometimes not far enough for me! :laugh: .
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Actually, Im a runaway. No blood family except a couple cousins 3000 miles away that I dont really know. BUT I have an adopted family of amazing and inspiring people. Raised by wolves. (rock band of wolves)
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    My brother is my best friend so I would say yes. However, my relationship with my parents.... EH... my brother is the buffer.
  • kikokateyy
    kikokateyy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Extremely close. Always have been always will be. My sisters and I are best friends and I have the most amazing big brother who would do anything for any of us.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My sister is my bestie :heart: (she's with me in my picture). I'm pretty close with everyone in the family.

In fact, my husband and I really want to relocate about 7 hours away (there's an opening in his company in South Carolina) but the one thing holding me back is I'll miss my family too much and can't stand the thought of being so far away :( There's no way I can move unless I convince most of my relatives to follow us.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately not. I don't speak to either of my parents. My mom divorced my dad when I was 13, and she did it in kind of a ****ty way -- left while he and I were out of the country, didn't say a word, took all her stuff. I didn't speak to her for over 10 years, tried to get back in touch for a little while, but she since has a new life, new daughter (who is still in middle school), and is in complete denial about what happened. Takes zero responsibility and spends most of her time bashing my dad and treating me like a burden rather than a daughter, so I said eff that and stopped speaking to her. My dad, on the other hand, is still bitter about all of this over 15 years later, to the point where I can't have a normal conversation with him. He views everything through the lens of the past, and I have to walk on eggshells around him for fear of setting him off. After 15 years of this crap, I said enough is enough. I told him that i wish he would move on, and that even though I've tried to help him, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I told him how much it hurt me that nobody ever asked if I was ok when I was a kid, because the two of them were so wrapped up in their own drama. I told him that I've made a big effort to get past things and that it's much better now (I have a wonderful husband and in-laws whom I hold very dear and am close to), and that I wish he could embrace a new life with me. He stopped speaking to me after that. He's so full of anger that he can't see clearly. It makes me very sad and I think about it every day.

/whiny rant. Sorry about that folks.

Don't be sorry. I feel for you. What a tough, frustrating situation.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    my family is extremely close...people can't believe that I call my mom every day and visit my parents every weekend. My sister is actually living with me this summer so she can work with me. I love being around my family. My fiance's family is no where near as close. It's somewhat strange, they are Chinese, and my experience with most of the Asian people I have known is a very very close knit family. His is quite the opposite. ALthough they live together, they are not involved in eachother's lives or have any kind of emotional connection. I am looking forward to us being married, and hopefully being very close to eachother and our future family :-) I think it is very important

I call my mom every day as well... It's almost a running joke in my family... Just yesterday between talking to my mom and talking to my younger brother I was on the phone for a good 2 hours.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I like my family when I don't have to live with them. When I lived with them, we would fight nonstop. Since I moved out (3 yrs ago), we get along great. We visit each other about once a month. Awesome!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Oh Lord yes. It's a blessing and a curse. My family is super close. It took my sisters husband a little while to get used to the idea of such a close family, but we've converted him to one of us.

The downside, everyone is in your business. The upside, everyone is in your business. Always available for a helping hand or advice whether you want it or not. My parents, brother and sister all live within about 2 miles of each other. It's handy for babysitting or when you want a free home cooked meal. I'm the black sheep as I live about 10 miles away which is way too far for my mother, but sometimes not far enough for me! :laugh: .

*lol* we live about 350 miles away from our parents and brothers (and their wives).... and my MIL called me around noon one friday and said "hey, your BIL is going your way for a painball tournament and your SIL and I thought we would tag along"... needless to say, our house was a wreck and I had to take off the rest of the day so I could pick up... I called my husband and he said "I thought we moved 6 hours away so they COULDN'T just pop in"... :laugh:
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    myside of the family yes hubbies side it depends lol my MIL is a piece of work the head acks that woman causes me ugh my FIL is a great guy could sit and talk with him all day , older SIL is a ****** and some younger SIL is a great friend <3
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'm close with all of my family basically. All of my immediate family on my dad's side lives here in the same area. There's only a few that don't come often to the holiday things but I see them at least once a year.

I hang out with my dad quite a bit, least once or twice a month.

My mom I'm pretty close with but not nearly as much because I moved out at a young age and get on pins and needles with her after a couple hours. She's a bit of a debbie downer sometimes.

My in-laws family is very small, just my husband's parents and his siblings. The older brother I've never met and has not talked to anyone in years. His sister we see three or four times a year... they were never close growing up. The parents I see every Sunday at mass and sometimes more often, usually holidays.

So all-in-all a pretty mediocre laid back group. We also have close interactions with family on the East coast but I see them only every three years at the family reunion.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    no. in fact i've been with my spouse for 11 or 12 years something like that and my mom has not met my new family. we talk occassionally - she says she misses me, loves me, but for some reason can't seem to make it out to visit me.

I have a step-son that is multi-handicapped and we don't travel because he's very medically fragile...and while I've gone myself to visit a couple times, she's never come out to visit us so she's never met him either.

my dad and brother come every year. They are typical guys - we don't do the talking thing very well - we're just not close but they at least come visit and while it's very stressful and it can feel obligatory...I do appreciate I have some family I have a somewhat normal relationship with.

but on the flip side, my in-laws are boundry crossers. and I wish they had a little more "distance" .... I'm not used to people in my business so much. but, I love the fact they come over for soup nights and are at all holidays and live close. Which is probably more closer to what a "close" family is really like!

I just can't imagine when my daughter leaves that I won't be calling her every day or checking on her, visiting her, you know....hovering to the point she'll be writing in to the newspaper advice column about me! ;)
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    no, my family sux. i hate it. but, i have my children & i hope that we will always be close. :)