Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the 'fat acceptance' movement a good thing?

Options
dija92
dija92 Posts: 8 Member
Hey :)

First off, I know this is a bit of a contentious topic, so I hope we can keep things civil!

I'm on the fence about the fat acceptance thing. And, at nearly 300lbs, I don't really want to spend too long on anything, especially a fence!!

Part of me thinks that fat acceptance is a tad bit dangerous in its attempts to normalise what is, essentially (although I am aware that I'm generalising here) , an unhealthy lifestyle. I'd also, although cautiously, argue that, while variation in weight is of course normal, openly stating that being 100lb+ over a 'normal' weight is anything other than a health concern is irresponsible. (Although I'm not saying that being ashamed is appropriate either.)

That said however, i guess it has many benefits... for instance I don't think a person that smokes will get nearly as much crap from people as an obese person. Both have made choices that impact their health... but only one is outwardly visible and is used to bully and mock people who, let's face it, likely use food as a coping mechanism.... pretty crappy given that there coping mechanism only affects themselves (as opposed to someone that acts like an arsehole to relieve stress etc.). Plus, maybe you need to be in a position where you feel like you're worth something before you can allow yourself to hope for better (although I don't know if anyone fully into fat acceptance would agree with the use of the word "better"...)

What do you guys think??

Replies

• dija92
    dija92 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Lengthy discussion here already that you might be interested in OP :)http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10376680/fat-acceptance-movement#latest

Ahh, I didn't see that, thanks!! :)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    The number of obese people on disability because they can no longer work (or never worked) has skyrocketed. Therefore, taxpayers are supporting them through monthly disability payments, SNAP (food stamp) benefits, and housing subsidies.

And here you make the libertarian's argument against a socialized wellfare state for them; that government and "social" control of individual choices occurs when government has control of the purse strings, and that people feel justified in taking that control.

That said, these claims really need to be substantiated.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm against HAES because, science. I would support a HSAES movement. It stands for Hot and Sexy at Every Size, because I do believe you should feel confident in yourself no matter what your weight or what you look like. But nobody should be deluded into believing they are healthy at a heavier weight.

I like that.

I'd like "healthy as I can be at my size" too. I don't like the idea that people shouldn't try to lose if they want or be aware of the risks, but I also think it's valuable to encourage people who -- for various reasons -- don't want weight loss to be the focus to still do other things to be as fit and healthy as possible. As I've said before I -- stupidly, but whatever -- did not believe I could lose weight at one point, as I felt disconnected from my body, out of control. Just deciding to control what I could and eat healthfully and exercise helped me feel much better and get over this and -- shock, I know ;-) -- I lost weight pretty easily when I did. Simply harping on me about eating less and losing weight wouldn't have helped at that time in my life (I felt like dieting would be awful and impossible and make me miserable without even working), whereas focusing on improving myself and controlling what I understood I could control did help.

Yes, I know that's not what HAES currently is, too bad.