Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the 'fat acceptance' movement a good thing?

Replies

• amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    The opposite of acceptance is not hatred. If being overweight threatens quality of health or health risk, there is no reason to accept that. However, all people have a right to be treated with compassion and there is no place for judgement or shaming of fat (or thin, or whatever minority you are) in a healthy community/society.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited January 2017
    i dont know about fat acceptance but being rude to someone who is fat is not necessary. people take liberties and do stuff like pat your stomach and make comments. Here is the most outrageous thing that happened to me. In high school i was 180 and at age 50 (when my sister died) i was 350 (now 240 and going down) I was at my sisters funeral and a woman that was a "friend" of the family that i had not seen in years walks up to me, looks me up and down and says "what happened to you?" That is the truth i swear.
  • tcay584
    tcay584 Posts: 55 Member
    I don't think anyone else has any business "accepting" someone or not. Poo on you if you judge me by my appearance and not the content of my character. I don't think anyone should be mean or rude to anyone, fat or scrawny, redhead or blonde, blue eyed or brown. I am not for you to "accept" or "condemn". Deal with your own issues before you try and "help" me tackle mine, LOL!
    Personally, I am trying to lose weight because I am dissatisfied with my appearance. I couldn't give a fig what anyone else thinks and if anyone is rude enough to let me know their opinion, I show them the same courtesy.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    tcay584 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone else has any business "accepting" someone or not. Poo on you if you judge me by my appearance and not the content of my character. I don't think anyone should be mean or rude to anyone, fat or scrawny, redhead or blonde, blue eyed or brown. I am not for you to "accept" or "condemn". Deal with your own issues before you try and "help" me tackle mine, LOL!
    Personally, I am trying to lose weight because I am dissatisfied with my appearance. I couldn't give a fig what anyone else thinks and if anyone is rude enough to let me know their opinion, I show them the same courtesy.

I judge everyone. Actually everyone judges everyone...I mean your judging people who judge people.

It doesn't change my life one bit if being fat is acceptable or not. I don't care unless it offends my eyes by what I see. shivers... ill just look away and make fun in secret.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I agree that everyone judges others. It's in our nature. Hopefully everyone doesn't make fun. That's not cool.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    edited January 2017
    Not accepting people for the way they appear, race, religion, sex, etc, for any reason, is prejudice, and it is wrong.
    No justification for this. Not anyone's responsibility to judge anyone else. It shows immaturity, lack of compassion, and bad manners. My opinion.
  • electrickazoo
    electrickazoo Posts: 55 Member

I'll never in my life forget what a surgeon said to me after removing part of my thyroid. I had gone to him as I had a tumor growing on it. While I was in the hospital he told me that he hadn't made an effort to hide the large scar because I was "Fat, unattractive and didn't deserve to have the scar hidden". Surgeons USEUALLY try to cut along the neck folds to hide an obvious scar. I made a complaint to the hospital board but since I'm not a protected class nothing happened. That kind of behavior is not OK at all.

Similarly, I have a friend whose husband is a surgeon. Apparently when fat women have c-sections they don't put nearly the same amount of effort into making the stitches (and subsequent scar) look good, as they do for thin women. Their reason was that a fat woman probably wouldn't wear a bikini anyway, so why bother.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Relser wrote: »
    I think it's good in the fact that it promotes not being a total *kitten* to someone because they are fat. I mean really, how does someone else being fat affect me?
    Well this actually happened to me at Disney World. A female and her kids got on the transportation bus. Myself and my brother in law, were both sitting and we both got up to let the female sit down. She chose his spot (which was beside me). I was at the end of the seat (bench seats) and she sat to my left. Every time the bus driver stopped she slid into me and pressed me into the end of the bench. And she was well over 250lbs. Not discriminating, but it was an uncomfortable ride all the way to our hotel.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Sorry but lve had this happen to me before also and the person was of perfectly normal weight as am l. I think buses tend to push people, no seat belts and all. Now airplanes are another story.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    dija92 wrote: »
    ...I don't think a person that smokes will get nearly as much crap from people as an obese person...

I personally think smoking is the worst. It's filthy and vile. And I judge the hell out of smokers. (Sorry, not sorry.)
    I'd rather sit next to an obese person than sit next to a smoker (either actively smoking or just sitting there reeking of it) any day. I'm not sure that's a good comparison. I would definitely give more crap to a smoker. Just sayin'.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »

And one of the best reports on Obesity in America. (and YES, I have read the entire thing)

http://healthyamericans.org/assets/files/TFAH-2015-ObesityReport-final.22.pdf

From the report:

"Adolescents with metabolic syndrome
    — a composite of obesity compo-
    nents — have significantly lower
    overall intelligence scores, including
    in math and spelling, and have lower
    mental flexibility and attention spans
    than adolescents without metabolic
    syndrome."

"The majority of overweight children (81
    percent boys and 71 percent of girls) be-
    lieve they are about the correct weight."

"Obese adults spend 42 percent more
    on direct healthcare costs than adults
    who are a healthy weight.
    Per capita healthcare costs for severely or
    morbidly obese adults (BMI >40) are 81
    percent higher than for healthy weight
    adults.
    In 2000, around $11 billion
    was spent on medical expenditures for
    morbidly obese U.S. adults."

Terrifying! :o
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    I was thinking about this the other day. I grew up in a family where obesity was a norm. I was obese my whole life until recent years, and I am still overweight now. The obesity in my family has resulted in ill health - physical and mental - and limits life choices. It's not seem thing I can 'accept' as ok. But nor would I 'accept' alcoholism, diabetes or manic depression if they were issues for me or my family. The shaming that goes in in society, however, is body shaming, not fat shaming. And people's bodies are shamed for being fat, puffy, scarred, skinny, short, tall, not tanned, spotty etc etc. Until we stop focussing on appearance, reading magazines full of polished, airbrushed celebrities, avidly following before and after photos as *the* evidence of a new healthy lifestyle, body shaming will continue. How about a body acceptance movement?
  • CommanderEmily
    CommanderEmily Posts: 68 Member
    Just my two cents, but I think this false in shades of grey rather than being a clear cut thing. I believe strongly in body positivity for all shapes and sizes. And loving yourself as you are can be a strong motivator to bettering yourself. Think of it this way: People who hate their bodies and can't find ways to love themselves as they are will more than likely be the same people who fail at their attempts of change it. And I think that it ties back to trying to change for the wrong reasons. I think change has to come from a positive and healthy place.

Though some people can take it too far, just like too much of any sort of good thing can be bad.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    MandaB9780 wrote: »

What exactly is wrong with her "psyche"? Seems to me like she hit it pretty spot on. As a former smoker I can attest to everything that she pointed out about smokers vs fat people.

It's very rude of you to attack someone personally without even an ounce of reasoning to back it up.

Hi, Manda.

The mind, soul, or spirit, as opposed to the body. In psychology, the psyche is the center of thought, feeling, and motivation, consciously and unconsciously directing the body's reactions to its social and physical environment.

The OP stated she was on the fence about the subject. She raised valid points for both sides of the fence, yet has not reached a conclusion for herself.

Hence my comment confirming that she has yet to work it out in her mind.

If that's a rude attack...