Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the 'fat acceptance' movement a good thing?

Options

Replies

• lostcowboy2017
    lostcowboy2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Skinny on Obesity This is a play list on youtube, very interesting. Note video number ten is long, also note that Dr. Robert Lustig has a even longer video on Fat Chance: Fructose 2.0
    What it comes down to is sugar/starch addiction, they say it is as bad as crack addiction.
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    In my opinion Fat Acceptance is not a good thing. Now self love is a great thing! But I think too many people get those two things confused. You can love your body but still want to be healthy but promoting a unhealthy lifestyle of obesity is not good for anyone especially young people who struggle with a unhealthy weight already. Like someone else said either extreme is not healthy. Of course everyone's body type is different and we don't know someone's story so no one should judge or be cruel. However, we as a society need to promote healthy eating and getting away from the laziness that is taking over our society and instead getting out side and being active! Fat acceptance goes beyond looks, it's accepting the possibility of heart disease, diabetes, bone illnesses, and the list goes on... Everyone should love themselves how they are right now but they also need to love themselves enough to take care of the only body they are given.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The Skinny on Obesity This is a play list on youtube, very interesting. Note video number ten is long, also note that Dr. Robert Lustig has a even longer video on Fat Chance: Fructose 2.0
    What it comes down to is sugar/starch addiction, they say it is as bad as crack addiction.

Pretty sure I've never seen someone pimp out their 11 year old daughter for a donut.

That's just because donuts are cheap. Let's make them illegal, therefore pushing them into the black market. Then with the subsequent 20,000% price increase, let's see what happens. ;)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options

Lustig is not a reliable source. He has an agenda and cherry picks information to support that agenda. There is a good reason why he is not well respected among nutrition researchers. The body of research by and large does not support his ideas.
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I know everyone has self-love issues at some point, but when the world wants you to hate yourself too, and you already have mental health problems or trauma (my apologies for assuming of course, but people as big as me don't usually get this way without something buried in their psyche) it's damn-near impossible.
    Sure, there are the few people who take it too far, but I don't think they're as common as those against the movement seem to think. I spent my childhood dieting, thinking my problem was that I didn't want it enough, I didn't work hard enough, or I was just destined to be this way forever. Turns out I just didn't love myself enough to care. Self-love was the single missing ingredient, and then came the motivation to address my problems and get on the right track. The only reason I'm so successful right now is because I finally see a future. I don't know, I'm 100% behind anything that might make another kid like me realize that. So long as fat shaming is a thing, we need body acceptance.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    dija92 wrote: »
    Hey :)

First off, I know this is a bit of a contentious topic, so I hope we can keep things civil!

I'm on the fence about the fat acceptance thing. And, at nearly 300lbs, I don't really want to spend too long on anything, especially a fence!!

Part of me thinks that fat acceptance is a tad bit dangerous in its attempts to normalise what is, essentially (although I am aware that I'm generalising here) , an unhealthy lifestyle. I'd also, although cautiously, argue that, while variation in weight is of course normal, openly stating that being 100lb+ over a 'normal' weight is anything other than a health concern is irresponsible. (Although I'm not saying that being ashamed is appropriate either.)

That said however, i guess it has many benefits... for instance I don't think a person that smokes will get nearly as much crap from people as an obese person. Both have made choices that impact their health... but only one is outwardly visible and is used to bully and mock people who, let's face it, likely use food as a coping mechanism.... pretty crappy given that there coping mechanism only affects themselves (as opposed to someone that acts like an arsehole to relieve stress etc.). Plus, maybe you need to be in a position where you feel like you're worth something before you can allow yourself to hope for better (although I don't know if anyone fully into fat acceptance would agree with the use of the word "better"...)

What do you guys think??

I started out in the high 200's and even then I felt a bit iffy about it..
    You ever watch that show- my big fat fabulous life? I think that helped me decide how I felt about it! The girl is all about accepting all body types in her dance class- which I think is great, I hate hearing of heavier people being fat shamed when they're being active! I also know that some people have a thyroid issue or such that can go undiagnosed and cause weight gain, and just with how thin models are and children thinking if they don't look a certain way that they are ugly or fat- I think we should accept all body types, and be positive and encouraging because we don't know what others people's battles are
    ... but in that show I mentioned, she passes out in one episode and is told she has to get ahold of her weight because it's killing her.. THAT is not something I think gets people- you cannot encourage a healthy lifestyle when it's a hazard to your health like that! The line has to be drawn somewhere, that's my point- morbidly obese is definitely where the line should be drawn about!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A thyroid issue doesn't make anyone fat. If you have a lower metabolism than average, then you also need to eat less than average and compensate.

Blaming it on your thyroid is as logical as a short person saying they're fat because they are under 5' - and short petite people have a lower BMR than tall people.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Is it a good thing? That would depend on the person and how their personality jives with the idea. People interpret the "movement" differently. For some it can be freeing and lead to a happier and healthier life. For others it can encourage them to continue to hurt themselves.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    It's whatever. Not good not bad.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    You ever watch that show- my big fat fabulous life? I think that helped me decide how I felt about it! The girl is all about accepting all body types in her dance class- which I think is great, I hate hearing of heavier people being fat shamed when they're being active!

And made a music video where she holds down a thin woman and forces cupcakes into her mouth. For Whitney Way Thore, there is no acceptance of thin, fit bodies.

I've seen her show. It's actually one of my hate-watch pleasures. It's an unending stream of her attempting to do things that are not a huge deal for someone who is healthy and normal weight, but for her result in embarrassing and injurious results. She cannot ride a bicycle for two miles on flat, paved loop. Can't stand still on a pair of skis on level ground. Can't pick the shampoo up in the shower without throwing out her back. Can't complete forty minutes of a dance-a-thon without losing consciousness and heading to the ER via ambulance. Can't fit into a Mazda Miata without the convertible top open. Can't walk the distance of a St. Patrick's Day parade. Can't fit into one airplane seat.

Then there's the constant crying. In every episode, there's something that she's crying about. Her life seems the exact opposite of fabulous.

Can't imagine the issues she has to allow her to prostitute herself for the $ and 15 minutes of fame
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You ever watch that show- my big fat fabulous life? I think that helped me decide how I felt about it! The girl is all about accepting all body types in her dance class- which I think is great, I hate hearing of heavier people being fat shamed when they're being active!

And made a music video where she holds down a thin woman and forces cupcakes into her mouth. For Whitney Way Thore, there is no acceptance of thin, fit bodies.

I've seen her show. It's actually one of my hate-watch pleasures. It's an unending stream of her attempting to do things that are not a huge deal for someone who is healthy and normal weight, but for her result in embarrassing and injurious results. She cannot ride a bicycle for two miles on flat, paved loop. Can't stand still on a pair of skis on level ground. Can't pick the shampoo up in the shower without throwing out her back. Can't complete forty minutes of a dance-a-thon without losing consciousness and heading to the ER via ambulance. Can't fit into a Mazda Miata without the convertible top open. Can't walk the distance of a St. Patrick's Day parade. Can't fit into one airplane seat.

Then there's the constant crying. In every episode, there's something that she's crying about. Her life seems the exact opposite of fabulous.

I also know that some people have a thyroid issue or such that can go undiagnosed and cause weight gain,

Not unless they're eating more calories than they're burning.

and just with how thin models are and children thinking if they don't look a certain way that they are ugly or fat- I think we should accept all body types, and be positive and encouraging because we don't know what others people's battles are

Much like I will not be promoting meth mouth acceptance or alcoholic liver cirrhosis acceptance, I will never be promoting obesity acceptance.

... but in that show I mentioned, she passes out in one episode and is told she has to get ahold of her weight because it's killing her.. THAT is not something I think gets people- you cannot encourage a healthy lifestyle when it's a hazard to your health like that! The line has to be drawn somewhere, that's my point- morbidly obese is definitely where the line should be drawn about!

I draw it at overweight. It's why I am not anymore, and why I continue to strive to optimize my weight, bodyfat, lean mass and cardiovascular health. Because that's the best thing that I can do for my body. That is how I love my body. By making it the most healthy, finely tuned machine that I can.

Miatas actually have pretty strict weight restrictions. She has no business in one anyway.

ETA: from the inside of my door:
    fvma6dcya8jf.jpg
  • Packerjohn
    Options

I also know that some people have a thyroid issue or such that can go undiagnosed and cause weight gain,

and just with how thin models are and children thinking if they don't look a certain way that they are ugly or fat- I think we should accept all body types, and be positive and encouraging because we don't know what others people's battles are

Much like I will not be promoting meth mouth acceptance or alcoholic liver cirrhosis acceptance, I will never be promoting obesity acceptance.

I draw it at overweight. It's why I am not anymore, and why I continue to strive to optimize my weight, bodyfat, lean mass and cardiovascular health. Because that's the best thing that I can do for my body. That is how I love my body. By making it the most healthy, finely tuned machine that I can.

Miatas actually have pretty strict weight restrictions. She has no business in one anyway.

fvma6dcya8jf.jpg

It least she's not getting on a horse. The Mazda can't feel pain.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

fvma6dcya8jf.jpg

No, but the owner certainly will when her *kitten* causes the clutch to burn out, or the suspension to give in a hard curve.

Hell, my girlfriend and I aren't too far from that restriction ourselves if there's much of anything in the trunk, and neither of us are exactly large. I'm currently 171, and she's about 95.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

fvma6dcya8jf.jpg

No, but the owner certainly will when her *kitten* causes the clutch to burn out, or the suspension to give in a hard curve.

Hell, my girlfriend and I aren't too far from that restriction ourselves if there's much of anything in the trunk, and neither of us are exactly large. I'm currently 171, and she's about 95.

If you're not smart enough to avoid overloading your vehicle, probably deserve the damage. Have to look at that thing and say, damn that's sitting low.
  • Elsiebeane
    Elsiebeane Posts: 95 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

So, you are a doctor? You PERSONALLY know what it is like to have hypothrodism ?? You are saying besides busting my *kitten* for months and not only NOT losing weight but gaining four pounds had nothing to do with my thyroid?? It was only because I was not in a deficit? It had nothing to do with UNDIAGNOSED thyroid issues??
    I wish I had your black and white view of weight loss. Because UNTIL you walk one day in the life of a person with thyroid disorder, DO NOT tell me all I have to do is watch my calories.