April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 congrats! registering for a first full is a big, scary decision....at least it was for me!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Hello all! I'd like to join this as will.

Welcome! Set a goal, run, have fun and, of course, stay for the amazing advice the hardcore runners give......ive learned a ton from them.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Ugh, started typing this, but phone ate it. :(

I'll post a goal for Apr. tomorrow. Today, I did the 12K trail run. I'm starting to think my Garmin is wrong on distances. Last weekend, the 10K came up a little short on distance. Today, there were 2 others who show up on Strava for the 12K. One of them shows 7.2 miles, another 7.3 miles, and mine is 7.0 miles. The 7.3 mile has an obvious GPS error at a point (shows route crossed its own path where it didn't really). But my map looks pretty much identical to the 7.2 user. Why / how is the distance different? I need to figure out how to check my Garmin. It seems to be showing the same path at a different distance. Something must be wrong.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui - shocking, hope you beat the odds and come back with a vengeance
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 - Woohoo! Some of the runners I know who have run Philly speak highly of it. Have fun, and remember that when you cross the finish line you'll be joining the less than 1% of the American population that has completed a marathon!
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Glad to see it seems you have recovered well from sickness/injury and congrats on the great long run
    @HonuNui Not sure what to say except know that we're all here for you and sending you virtual hugs
    @KatieJane83 Congrats on taking the step to register for your first full! It's scary to commit yourself to a big distance like that but I'm sure you'll handle training well
    @midwesterner85 Did your trail race have a lot of tight turns, twists, or switchbacks? Current GPS technology is usually pretty accurate, however sometimes the watch will get confused and make guesses that aren't entirely correct. I'm guessing if the race was in a heavily forested area, that might have something to do with it as well. Part of the trail that I run on sometimes goes through a fairly tree dense area and my watch usually is off during that time but it will adjust as my run continues and is accurate by the end.

4/1: 5.8 miles

TOTAL: 5.8/100 miles

Started off April with 5.8 miles. It's quite chilly out here today compared to recent weather with a 35F windchill, so I pulled out the leggins, gloves, and headband (which I probably could have gone without) again. My pace goal was 9:50-10:00 min/mile and my overall average came in at 9:43...probably should have taken it a little slower, but not too far off. Overall, it was a pleasant run to kick off the new month. This upcoming week I'll be adding a fifth running day, so my runs during the week will be a little shorter in an attempt to not add too much mileage at the same time as well.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Happy April, everyone! Beautiful day out today. I got in 5 to start the month off.

exercise.png
  • JohnRoderick
    JohnRoderick Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks MNLittleFinn! Looking forward to this.
    Not really sure how to reply to people on here. Just ran 4.2mi.
    I guess my goal will be 60mi for April as a few others on here.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

You can just hit the quote button on posts, or put @ at the front of their username to tag people in posts. 60mi is a great goal to have. You'll be able to surpass it I'm sure.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hey John,
    Welcome! You can click the Quote below a post, and it will show up like I just did.
    Or you can just put @ and follow it with the persons name in the form at the bottom of any page and follow that with your comment, like this:

@JohnRoderick - This is how you can reply to a post, or multiple posts in a single post.
    @Bakins929 - This is a reply to myself.

Either way works, but if you want to comment on several posts, using the username is prolly best. Be sure to read the first post on first page and you can set up a ticker to track your goals. Good luck this month!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 Yes, the turns and trees explain part of it, including the track that is obviously wrong for the 7.3 miler. But I'm the lowest of them all. I have no comparison users, but the 10K last weekend was almost entirely straight. Overcast skies, but the track looks right. It even shows a movement left and then right again where I know I passed someone on a wide stretch of road.
  • JohnRoderick
    JohnRoderick Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn & @Bakins929 Thanks y'all, easy enough. I'll check out that ticker. I'm just using Runkeeper at the moment
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui I think I missed your background to your recent post, in which case I apologise. And think of you.

XX is all I know what to say.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Congrats on signing up for your first full @KatieJane83!!

Welcome @JohnRoderick!

@midwesterner85 - Is your Garmin using GPS + GLONASS or just GPS. I had better results on trails when I set it to both. Battery drains a lot faster, but fewer weird spots than when using just GPS.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Ok. I am hoping I set my ticker. I hope I did it right.

No run today. I usually run on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Although I have been thinking of adding in some days here and there.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    Looks like I did it right!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    For anyone who didn't know the background. Her son has stage 4 melanoma. :cry: