Trying to gain weight sucks

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I agree. For some people gaining weight is difficult especially if you aren't used to eating a lot.

For me it is especially difficult because I am breastfeeding.. so adding 300-500 cals (or maybe more I don't even know) on top of an already high TDEE and it becomes very frustrating (3500cals+ per day )
    BUT.. just because it isn't easy doesn't mean it's impossible.. definitely start tracking and measuring your food, check out that link that @psuLemon posted above which is super helpful, think about drinking your cals: adding in a homemade high cal shake, and on top of everything..be consistent! It is so important not to have a high day and think "OK great I did well, 3000 cals down I did it" then the next day go back to 1500 or something and spin your wheels. Also ya if you are still struggling despite all the changes a more throughout Dr checkup may be in order.

Good luck!

I want your life. Man. I wish I could eat 3500 calories per day lol
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    kaykay6676 wrote: »
    I am trying. But I don't really have a way to get good groceries right now without a car so I kinda just have to live off what's a around me in the middle of nowhere until I get my vehicle fixed. it's rough. But I am trying. So because of you guys telling me that I should really just try eating more im take you all up on that and I'm gonna look some stuff up and find healthy food with good calories and see what I can find around me. Because I want to gain weight and I want to be happy with myself so I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

Need to gain weight? no car? pizza delivery.

Enjoy trying to gain weight. Pizza, chicken wings, sausage egg and cheese bicuits, bbq, ice cream, PB and banana sammiches, avocados, nuts, etc..I find it nearly impossible to gain weight on "good" or "clean" calories only. I get plenty of the "good" calories to fill my micros/macros during my bulks, but to hit those daily calorie goals junk food (i.e. calorie dense) gets in the mix. Quit filling up on broccoli.

Mexican pizza has beans and tons of veggies. Beans have protein :D
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I agree. For some people gaining weight is difficult especially if you aren't used to eating a lot.

For me it is especially difficult because I am breastfeeding.. so adding 300-500 cals (or maybe more I don't even know) on top of an already high TDEE and it becomes very frustrating (3500cals+ per day )
    BUT.. just because it isn't easy doesn't mean it's impossible.. definitely start tracking and measuring your food, check out that link that @psuLemon posted above which is super helpful, think about drinking your cals: adding in a homemade high cal shake, and on top of everything..be consistent! It is so important not to have a high day and think "OK great I did well, 3000 cals down I did it" then the next day go back to 1500 or something and spin your wheels. Also ya if you are still struggling despite all the changes a more throughout Dr checkup may be in order.

Good luck!

I want your life. Man. I wish I could eat 3500 calories per day lol

Haha aww well now I am cutting.. so my cals are significantly lower! But it's not too bad so I can't complain ;)
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I'm going to have to drink someone my calories because is hard for me to eat so much. That's why asked if it would help if I were to make a shake with it. And I was only asking if this one would work because I didn't know if there was certain kinds your like suppose to buy. And it says to use water or skim milk. Does that really matter? Or can I use any kinda milk?

If you're looking to add calories, it would be best to use whole (full fat) milk. And maybe add a couple tablespoons of peanut butter to it.

It would also be delicious. It tastes like a Reese's.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Most protein powders are only about 100 calories a scoop so for them to be useful in any way in this scenario you're going to have to add stuff like whole milk, peanut butter, peanut butter, peanut butter.

What happened to the shake upthread you were going to try? Have you tried tracking and eating more at all?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I'm going to have to drink someone my calories because is hard for me to eat so much. That's why asked if it would help if I were to make a shake with it. And I was only asking if this one would work because I didn't know if there was certain kinds your like suppose to buy. And it says to use water or skim milk. Does that really matter? Or can I use any kinda milk?

If you're looking to add calories, it would be best to use whole (full fat) milk. And maybe add a couple tablespoons of peanut butter to it.

And some icecream. And chocolate syrup or something. With whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles and crushed peanuts on top.
  • Chadxx
    Options
    Most protein powders are only about 100 calories a scoop so for them to be useful in any way in this scenario you're going to have to add stuff like whole milk, peanut butter, peanut butter, peanut butter.

What happened to the shake upthread you were going to try? Have you tried tracking and eating more at all?

Actually, most are more like 130-200 and if you actually weight them, you find out a scoop weighs more than it says. I just looked up this one and it says 180 per scoop so probably more like 200.
  • kaykay6676
    kaykay6676 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Mines 130 I believe. I haven't tried the shake yet because I just got the powder for it. I also just got all my weight and stuff for working out. Now I just need to get me a blender so I can actually make the shake. Lol. But I am eating sooo much more. Still could probably eat more. But it's pretty hard. I eat lots of chicken. Lmfao. And burgers. Also have cliff bars and almonds and stuff throughout the day as snacks. And I only drink water now. Might try infused water. Stopped drinking soda and stuff cuz I feel like that's what always made me tired and stuff. But I dropped down to 81 last week and then back up to 83 this week. I did just get taking of the drop *kitten* so I was told that my body could be trying to get use to it and that's why my weights fluctuating so much. But I don't know if that's true. I made another appointment so I'm going to the doctor Wednesday to see if they missed anything. Definitely not giving up yet! I'm gonna get there.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Mines 130 I believe. I haven't tried the shake yet because I just got the powder for it. I also just got all my weight and stuff for working out. Now I just need to get me a blender so I can actually make the shake. Lol. But I am eating sooo much more. Still could probably eat more. But it's pretty hard. I eat lots of chicken. Lmfao. And burgers. Also have cliff bars and almonds and stuff throughout the day as snacks. And I only drink water now. Might try infused water. Stopped drinking soda and stuff cuz I feel like that's what always made me tired and stuff. But I dropped down to 81 last week and then back up to 83 this week. I did just get taking of the drop *kitten* so I was told that my body could be trying to get use to it and that's why my weights fluctuating so much. But I don't know if that's true. I made another appointment so I'm going to the doctor Wednesday to see if they missed anything. Definitely not giving up yet! I'm gonna get there.

Protein powder plus full cream milk doesn't require a blender. Drink that instead of water.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Also juice instead of water.
  • Chadxx
    Options

Protein powder plus full cream milk doesn't require a blender. Drink that instead of water.

Yep a shaker bottle works great.
  • 1AutumnDay
    1AutumnDay Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can my excess weight ;)

Best wishes in finding what works best for you x
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Fill up a water bottle in half with milk and a scoop of the powder. Close the lid and shake the *kitten* out of it until the powder chunks are soaked up by the milk. Pour more milk in to the bottle to within a quarter inch of the top, seal again, and shake. Blender-less protein shake.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Gatorade instead of water when working out.
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yes, I'm the same way. I had ice cream and chocolate cake over the weekend, and other really high calorie foods, yet still lost weight. You'll have to track, like others have said and what you said you are going to do.

I started tracking and realized it was below maintenance.

As a last resort, I'll have a mass gainer shake, which you could always make at home, but I had leftover mass gainer powder that's about to expire so I thought I might as well.

Whole milk also helps, drinking that once or twice or even combining it with other things. Or chocolate milk.

The easiest thing is eating very high calories when you're hungry. I kinda of have to force myself to eat, and that's easy when it's something high calorie, such as things high in carbs/fat. For example, I ate two tacos and beans at Torchy's Tacos (wrangler, ranch hand, and black beans), but since they were high calorie foods, it ended up being 1500 calories. It's pretty easy with fast food, since it's small portions, but packed with high calories. That meal was also 88 grams of protein, so even good for building muscle and it's filling since it's high in everything (carbs, protein, fat). Ha
  • kaykay6676
    Options
    I wanted a blender to make any shakes. I got one today. Working on my shake right now. It's not very good. Haha! To much peanut butter for my liking.
  • kaykay6676
    Options
    But it's 1043 calories I believe. At least that's what I added up. Lol.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    But it's 1043 calories I believe. At least that's what I added up. Lol.

@kaykay6676 it sounds like you are heading in the right direction. When I eat all I want of Low carb High fat I have a hard time gaining weight I have found. While everyone needs some healthy fats you may make High Carb and Higher protein type macro your WOE for a while.

Best of success on getting more calories of the type that works best for your body.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    With every shake that you make take note of what you want to try next time. The next shake may be half the PB. You are more likely to keep eating it if you like it.
  • Chadxx
    Options
    I wanted a blender to make any shakes. I got one today. Working on my shake right now. It's not very good. Haha! To much peanut butter for my liking.

Too much peanut butter? I don't understand. :D