Trying to gain weight sucks

Replies

• kaykay6676
    kaykay6676 Posts: 80 Member
    edited April 2017
    I just started working out like two days ago. I eat three full meals a day. That's why I feel like I'm eating enough.Because I also snack all day. All I do is eat. I eat more than my boyfriend does. Before I was always eating junk food and just unhealthy things. My doctor told me to try an gain weight on more healthy foods. So now that's why I'm trying to eat healthy. Because even candy bars and ice cream and soda wasn't making me gain weight. I have literally tried lots of stuff and I cannot get over 87. I was 112 and then I just dropped down to 83. I don't think that just magically happens. And people really reporting me? I'm not laughing in anyone's face. All im seriously just trying to say that I know myself and I saw myself loose weight and everything out of nowhere and nobody should be loosing weight like that. It's not normal.
  • kaykay6676
    And there's no way to deliver food here. I live in the middle of nowhere. But I should be getting a vehicle here soon. So thank you for the good ideas everyone
  • kaykay6676
    edited April 2017
    Also I have have a lot of heat flashes throughout the night and I've been told that I'm way to young for that. I'm 19 years old and my room could be cold and I have heat flashes all night long.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I can gain weight super easy if I try, it just won't be the kind of weight I want (muscle). For that reason I eat at maintenance or slightly above and build muscle very slowly. I figure it'll take me 2-3 years to reach the point that I want to be, and have been at it for a little over 1 year now. If I wanted to gain muscle faster I'd have to eat a LOT more and I'm just not willing to pack on that much weight because losing it was rough for me.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    kaykay6676 wrote: »
    It kinda is obvious because if it was something that simple I'm pretty sure I'd know. And I have seen a doctor. They did test and took my blood and said that I'm fine and they don't know what else to tell me. But I mean you can't tell me someone loosing that much weight out of nowhere? I was 112 and now I can't get above 87. I'll get up to 87 and then drop right back down.

Did your doctor specifically test your thyroid function via the blood work? If not, you should definitely have that done.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    edited April 2017
    You need to start seriously weighing and logging your food. Count the calories you are eating. If you are TRULY eating at a surplus and losing weight rapidly, you need to get checked into the hospital immediately and demand to get tested. If you eat 500-1000 calories (accurately measured, weighed, and logged) over maintenance for 2 weeks to a month and don't gain anything (and even LOSE) then you have a serious medical condition that needs to get checked out.

Sometimes we think we "aren't eating anything at all" "why am I gaining weight? I hardly eat all day" or "I eat ALL THE TIME and can't gain weight" where in both scenarios people are severely under or overestimating their calorie intake. Just because you eat snacks all day long, including meals, doesn't mean you're eating 2000 calories and just because you're only eating two meals a day doesn't mean you aren't eating 3000 calories.

Weigh, measure, and log.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Peanut Butter, chocolate, ice cream... that is your answer.

Bonus points if eaten together...

I'm sorry is there another way to eat ice cream?!?

Mine has all of it. Frozen PB is soooo good.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,713 Member
    Also I have have a lot of heat flashes throughout the night and I've been told that I'm way to young for that. I'm 19 years old and my room could be cold and I have heat flashes all night long.

Was it the doctor who told you that? If so, did they run any tests based on that?
    If it was someone else who told you that, have you mentioned the hot flashes to the doctor yet?
  • kaykay6676
    Yes she tested me for all of that stuff including diabetes etc. and I'm not 4 ft. Lol. I'm 4'11 1/2. At least that what I was when I last got weighed and stuff at the doctor and that was awhile ago. Lol. But I probably haven't grown. My whole family is short and they all weigh a lot more.
  • kaykay6676
    Someone else told me that. And I honestly don't remember if I mentioned it to my doctor. It was awhile go that I got test done. Like 4 months ago maybe. And she told me to just try to eat more proteins and that what I've been doing and it hasn't been working
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Someone else told me that. And I honestly don't remember if I mentioned it to my doctor. It was awhile go that I got test done. Like 4 months ago maybe. And she told me to just try to eat more proteins and that what I've been doing and it hasn't been working

Young women can experience hot flashes, it's just not that common. They're not only associated with decreasing hormones and menopause - though wonky hormones aren't out of the question given you've dropped weight like you describe.

Glad to see you've decided to log. If that shows you're eating enough that you should be gaining and the doc still doesn't pay attention, get a new one stat.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    I just started working out like two days ago. I eat three full meals a day. That's why I feel like I'm eating enough.Because I also snack all day. All I do is eat. I eat more than my boyfriend does. Before I was always eating junk food and just unhealthy things. My doctor told me to try an gain weight on more healthy foods. So now that's why I'm trying to eat healthy. Because even candy bars and ice cream and soda wasn't making me gain weight. I have literally tried lots of stuff and I cannot get over 87. I was 112 and then I just dropped down to 83. I don't think that just magically happens. And people really reporting me? I'm not laughing in anyone's face. All im seriously just trying to say that I know myself and I saw myself loose weight and everything out of nowhere and nobody should be loosing weight like that. It's not normal.

I PROMISE you if you add a gallon of chocolate whole milk per day to your foods you'll gain. I'm a "hard gainer" too. Current daily intake is around 5000. (Gaining for Powerlifting). I just have to force the food after a certain point.
    Calorie dense foods. Liquid calories. Make a homemade gainer shake. Ice cream, pb, chocolate, Nutella.

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Is it just me or does it seem like trying to gain weight is way harder then trying to loose it?

I seem to gain weight just thinking about food unfortunately.
  • kaykay6676
    I can definitely drink some chocolate milk. I love chocolate milk. I just didn't know i could actually drink so much if it. But now that I know that I think I'm gonna go buy a gallon right. Haha! Thank you
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I can definitely drink some chocolate milk. I love chocolate milk. I just didn't know i could actually drink so much if it. But now that I know that I think I'm gonna go buy a gallon right. Haha! Thank you

You can drink as much of it as you like - make a wicked thickshake by whizzing it up with a pile of icecream!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Make it whole milk! Yay!