Trying to gain weight sucks

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    edited April 2017
    eat more.
  • paulwick1
    paulwick1 Posts: 6 Member
    Have you considered weight gain supplementation?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    kaykay6676 wrote: »
    I am trying. But I don't really have a way to get good groceries right now without a car so I kinda just have to live off what's a around me in the middle of nowhere until I get my vehicle fixed. it's rough. But I am trying. So because of you guys telling me that I should really just try eating more im take you all up on that and I'm gonna look some stuff up and find healthy food with good calories and see what I can find around me. Because I want to gain weight and I want to be happy with myself so I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

Read this thread. It provides tips on foods and strategy. But keep in mind, healthy is very relative and it's far more unhealthy to be underweight, than eating things like ice cream and other high calorie items. Increase fat consumption, drink calories (like milk), and don't stuck on the idea of foods being good or bad. A healthy diet is made up of the entire thing.. not one item or another.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

Also, are you exercising?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I agree. For some people gaining weight is difficult especially if you aren't used to eating a lot.

For me it is especially difficult because I am breastfeeding.. so adding 300-500 cals (or maybe more I don't even know) on top of an already high TDEE and it becomes very frustrating (3500cals+ per day )
    BUT.. just because it isn't easy doesn't mean it's impossible.. definitely start tracking and measuring your food, check out that link that @psuLemon posted above which is super helpful, think about drinking your cals: adding in a homemade high cal shake, and on top of everything..be consistent! It is so important not to have a high day and think "OK great I did well, 3000 cals down I did it" then the next day go back to 1500 or something and spin your wheels. Also ya if you are still struggling despite all the changes a more throughout Dr checkup may be in order.

Good luck!
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    I hear you. MFP is awesome for losing weight. I've lost two pounds in the last month and I've been trying to gain. I'm thinking that I might be doing the opposite of some people on here by underestimating my cals burned and overestimating my intake.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    OP Do you realize you have to eat at a calorie surplus to build muscle? Otherwise all the working out you've posted about is counter productive to your weight gain goal.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10544972/workout#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10544979/exhausted-no-breaks#latest
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    captbklee wrote: »
    I hear you. MFP is awesome for losing weight. I've lost two pounds in the last month and I've been trying to gain. I'm thinking that I might be doing the opposite of some people on here by underestimating my cals burned and overestimating my intake.

MFP is awesome for losing weight if you use it properly. MFP is awesome for gaining weight if you use it properly. It's a tool - the people overestimating cals out and underestimating cals in won't be achieving the results they want either!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    OP Do you realize you have to eat at a calorie surplus to build muscle? Otherwise all the working out you've posted about is counter productive to your weight gain goal.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10544972/workout#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10544979/exhausted-no-breaks#latest

^^This. Your weight loss issue appears to also be tied in to the fact that you may be over-exercising. Building muscle generally only occurs in a calorie surplus. If you are undereating for the amount of exercise you are doing, your body will actually utilize muscle for energy, in effect doing the opposite of what you are hoping to achieve.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    captbklee wrote: »

MFP is awesome for losing weight if you use it properly. MFP is awesome for gaining weight if you use it properly. It's a tool - the people overestimating cals out and underestimating cals in won't be achieving the results they want either!

Acknowledged :p
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    The only way I can keep gains on is to gain it in muscle and work really slow. If I get sick and lose 10# (which happened last month) I have to be extra diligent in getting it back. I'm still not back to where I was and I'm very on top of my foods.

I've found that my biggest roadblock has been getting enough proteins and carbs to maintain muscle and keep the weight up. I like fiber and eating light so I feel like I'm eating nuts every 2 hours. Also, I KNOW I move more than MFP gives me credit for (more than 350 calories just walking around) because now that I track just a couple of hours at work with my Apple Watch, I'm at 100 calories used. Extending that through 10 hours a day at work on my feet I can see that I need to consume even more-especially if I include muscle training.

I've set my gains to 1/2 # a week and I don't even hit it. I eat 2500 calories most days to hit my goals but some days I know it's not enough. And as usual, carbs aren't where they should be for me either. Blegh!! The struggle!

Now, I definitely don't fluctuate nearly as much as you, but losses are very discouraging anyways. I'd make a few adjustments to your tracking and just keep at it. Add me if you want a "small person supporter"
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    kaykay6676 wrote: »
    Oh. My. God. Obviously I eat. Lmfao. I eat all the time. It's not like I just magically stopped eating a lost weight. Im honestly so sick of hearing that. All I hear is eat more, you look anorexic, etc.. i wouldn't be hear if it wasn't an actual problem. Lol.

Maybe you're not eating enough calories. To decrease food volume, choose higher calorie foods over low fat/diet/lean. Nuts, avocados, full fat dairy, fatty cuts of meat. This way, you'll be able to eat enough calories to gain and eat smaller volume.

To gain weight, eat more calories than your maintenance. If you're losing, you just need to up the calories of the food you're eating. Think fats and fattier protien.