Trying to gain weight sucks

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I think one cup is 250 grams? Not sure though- the concept of cups for solids completely baffles me. But half a cup of oats isn't 305 calories.
    2 cups of milk is about one pint?

1 cup is 250 mL, which isn't comparable to grams for most foods. Google says 1 cup oats is 90g...that's likely inaccurate too!

A 1/2 cup of my oats are 40g, so a cup would be 80g.. but maybe this is brand specific.
  • kaykay6676
    kaykay6676 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/A_9iEEMExEM this is where I got it
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I think one cup is 250 grams? Not sure though- the concept of cups for solids completely baffles me. But half a cup of oats isn't 305 calories.

1 cup is 250 mL, which isn't comparable to grams for most foods. Google says 1 cup oats is 90g...that's likely inaccurate too!

A 1/2 cup of my oats are 40g, so a cup would be 80g.. but maybe this is brand specific.

It's a hell of a lot of oats anyway!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yea that shake looks super filling OP, but try it and see how it goes. All my 1000 cal shakes are always really filling no matter what I do, for the most part it is easier to get down than food but it's hard to trick my sensors.. it's like my body knows how many cals it was hahaha
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I just went from the calories quoted next to the oats in the recipe posted and kept upping the grams until I hit that number which is 80g. I don't think the calories of unadulterated oats changes from brand to brand. Recipe looks like it says half a cup but as pointed out it actually would be more like a full cup.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    kaykay6676 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/A_9iEEMExEM this is where I got it

Okay. No way is that half a cup of oats and if it was, as pointed out, that would be more like 40g so have the calories quoted.

That banana isn't what I'd call medium, more like large.

And that was a really generous peanut butter tablespoon.

And she added ice to thin it out a bit.

So the method she used was more like, let's just chuck sort of amounts into the shake. Which could be fine if you're not really bothered about being totally accurate with your calories but terrible if you do want accuracy.

And please America, ditch the cups! I caught a few cooking programs while I was over there the last couple of weeks and I just couldn't with the cups.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yea that shake looks super filling OP, but try it and see how it goes. All my 1000 cal shakes are always really filling no matter what I do, for the most part it is easier to get down than food but it's hard to trick my sensors.. it's like my body knows how many cals it was hahaha

I'd be super duper full on that shake really quickly too! It would be a meal, not a between meals snack as she suggested.
  • kaykay6676
    Options
    Well, I'm going to give it a try. It seems like drinking calories will be a lot easier then eating them. But idk. We'll see what happens.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Unless they're steel cut oats, those will run you 300 calories (or a bit more) for 1/2 cup (80 or so grams)

ETA: Which really sucks because I prefer steel cut for things like overnight oats for the non-mushy texture.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Drinking calories can definitely be easier but that shake would be hard even for those of us who can happily overeat. I'd be interested to see how you get on with it.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »

Unless they're steel cut oats, those will run you 300 calories (or a bit more) for 1/2 cup (80 or so grams)

ETA: Which really sucks because I prefer steel cut for things like overnight oats for the non-mushy texture.

I've wondered about that @leajas1! I can't eat oatmeal because I have texture issues, but I was wondering if overnight oats with steel cut would be crunchy enough for me to eat.
  • leajas1
    edited May 2017
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »

I've wondered about that @leajas1! I can't eat oatmeal because I have texture issues, but I was wondering if overnight oats with steel cut would be crunchy enough for me to eat.

If you soaked them overnight, on a scale of 1 (mushy) to 10 (crunchy), I'd rate them at about a 7. If you soaked them for about 3-4 hours, they'd be higher up on that scale.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Drinking calories can definitely be easier but that shake would be hard even for those of us who can happily overeat. I'd be interested to see how you get on with it.

True. I think she is probably still holding on to the notion that ALL of the calories have to be 'clean' or 'healthy.' *kitten* that *kitten*. I'd be milkshakes all the way!

(But then, I've never had an issue with being underweight. Possibly that is why)
  • kaykay6676
    Options
    Im not trying to eat healthy at all. Lol. I don't eat healthy. I should probably eat healthier. But that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to gain weight and do it anyway I can. So I'm going to give it a try. Even if it's filling. It's not like I need to take it all in one drink. Trust me. I'll make it happen. And that's not the only thing I'll bring drinking with lots of calories. That was just one of my ideas I wanna try. Because it's 1,000 right there. Done. I want to gain weight so I'm going to do what it takes. Even if I have to force down a shake. Haha! I'm gonna make it happen. Not trying to sounds rude or anything. I'm not disagree with you. I mean it probably is filling like you're saying. I haven't tried it yet. I need to get the stuff for it. But I wanna give it a try. I was gonna try and drink it before I workout but Idk if I should do it afterwards instead. I just wanna be happy with myself again. I can't even look in the mirror right now I'm so disgusted with myself. Like seriously.. I'm sick of putting myself down all the time. So if it takes lots of filling shakes to get me to where I wanna be then I'll do it. Becuase I can't keep living my life being unhappy with the way I look.
  • leajas1
    Options
    Im not trying to eat healthy at all. Lol. I don't eat healthy. I should probably eat healthier. But that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to gain weight and do it anyway I can. So I'm going to give it a try. Even if it's filling. It's not like I need to take it all in one drink. Trust me. I'll make it happen. And that's not the only thing I'll bring drinking with lots of calories. That was just one of my ideas I wanna try. Because it's 1,000 right there. Done. I want to gain weight so I'm going to do what it takes. Even if I have to force down a shake. Haha! I'm gonna make it happen. Not trying to sounds rude or anything. I'm not disagree with you. I mean it probably is filling like you're saying. I haven't tried it yet. I need to get the stuff for it. But I wanna give it a try. I was gonna try and drink it before I workout but Idk if I should do it afterwards instead. I just wanna be happy with myself again. I can't even look in the mirror right now I'm so disgusted with myself. Like seriously.. I'm sick of putting myself down all the time. So if it takes lots of filling shakes to get me to where I wanna be then I'll do it. Becuase I can't keep living my life being unhappy with the way I look.

If you drink it before your workout, make sure it's a 2-3 hours before. That's way to heavy to drink right before a workout (at least it would be for me).
  • Leverfam
    Leverfam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh. My. God. Obviously I eat. Lmfao. I eat all the time. It's not like I just magically stopped eating a lost weight. Im honestly so sick of hearing that. All I hear is eat more, you look anorexic, etc.. i wouldn't be hear if it wasn't an actual problem. Lol.

Then I would see a doctor ... perhaps your body is not absorbing the calories and nutrients you are giving it. Best of luck!
  • kaykay6676
    Options
    What should I eat or drink to give me more energy? I'm always tired and I hate it.
  • leajas1
    Options
    What should I eat or drink to give me more energy? I'm always tired and I hate it.

You mean right before a workout? Some suggestions are 1) a plain protein shake and a banana, 2) some people like to have a protein shake made with something like rice milk for the carbs/energy, 3) slice of bread with some peanut butter on it....
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Coffee, with full-fat cream added to it, and biscotti or a large muffin alongside. Although it can be an appetite suppressant for some people, which might work against your quest for more calories.