Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sugar Addiction Myths

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    It could be just me, but apple pie doesn't really need sugar, or strawberry shortcake imo.

You don't need a lot, but most recipes I've enjoyed include some, and I think it's better with it than it would be without.

I'm not a strawberry shortcake fan (assuming good strawberries, I'd always rather just have strawberries and plain whipping cream or just add the strawberries to some pancakes or waffles, perhaps, or some vanilla ice cream, but I digress...). Here's a pretty standard recipe: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11823-strawberry-shortcake. The shortcake normally has sugar in it.

Obviously the apples and strawberries also have sugar, which is what actually relates to the point I was making.
  • lemurcat12
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Does anyone listen to podcasts? Freakonomics just released one on sugar. They do a good job of showing both arguments although it's pretty clear at the end of the episode which one is the standout.

I used to listen to that one but haven't in ages. I'll have to find the episode.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think that added sugar is the main problem, but that sugar in fruits and other carbs became a problem for people like me who have autoimmune issues and insulin resisance - like me. I wonder if I had been brought up with much less (or no) added sugars like honey, sucrose and HFCS, along with fewer refined grains (especially since I am a celiac) if my health in my middle age would have been improved. I suspect it would have been.

I suspect that too, probably especially if the celiac had been caught earlier. But there don't seem to be people who struggle with IR in blue zone cultures, even higher carb ones (relating to what you ask below).
    A fast hit of sugar from a refined or ultra processed food in the blood stream is a different expereince than what you get from a salad and fruit bowl. KWIM?

For someone with IR, certainly. On the other hand, a banana or potato can be a quick hit, and I don't think those are problems in healthy people (or in a balanced diet eaten with other foods, not even for plenty of people with IR, although I think genetic sensitivity and other factors can make a difference so that some might need to avoid them entirely after developing issues). But I would say that doesn't make sugar really the culprit or suggest that it always would be better avoided in general (vs. for some, just as some with Crohn may need to avoid vegetables that would be really healthful to include in a diet for others -- you can make do without vegetables, but I would never say as if I were recommending it "vegetables are entirely unnecessary," which was the point I was making re sugar, really).
    Nutritionally, in terms of micronutrients, there's quite a difference too.

Depending on how it's used. Apples aren't any better than cranberries with a bit of sugar or rhubarb with a bit of sugar. But you know me well enough to know I'm not saying there's no difference between foods, and I see lots of differences between some blueberries and a cookie (although I think both can be part of a healthful diet)!
    I tend to think that less sugar is better, but that's in terms of added sugar or naturally occurrng sugar. I don't believe that more sugar in one's lfe is better/healthier than less.

Are there any Blue Zone diets that are high in added sugar and refined grains?

Not to my knowledge, and I'd guess not.

I share your bias that keeping added sugar low is better (although I don't think it's important to keep it as low as you possibly can if it's at a reasonably low level -- proper level and reasons for that being debatable still, of course -- and you have no other reasons, such as health issues, desire to stay in ketosis, personal hunger level, whatever, to worry about it). I also tend to agree with some others (Attia, Noakes, many more) that there are some individual genetic differences as to how much is too much even before developing issues.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    anyway, I found it interesting and it is no way peer reviewed...

It's just one guy's thoughts. If you look at his LinkedIn profile his education is a bachelor's in psychology/law and a master's in IT. No background at all to discuss the pluses and minuses of anything related to nutrition.

Personally don't think sugar is physically addictive, psychologically maybe.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

It's just one guy's thoughts. If you look at his LinkedIn profile his education is a bachelor's in psychology/law and a master's in IT. No background at all to discuss the pluses and minuses of anything related to nutrition.

Many people with no more nutritional education than that write diet books or make "documentaries" telling you sugar is horrible for you too.
  • donnarfredin
    donnarfredin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great article!!!!
  • Packerjohn
    edited April 2017
    Options

Many people with no more nutritional education than that write diet books or make "documentaries" telling you sugar is horrible for you too.

Oh I agree.

My challenge with the original post is the article debunks a lot of myths, but the "debunking" is done by an individual with no applicable background and no references to any science backing his statements.

No better/worse than sugar demonizers with no background that write blog posts.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Exhibit A: Gary Taubes is a journalist with no nutritional/medical training whatsoever.

Incidentally, he's one of the biggest demonizers of carbs, has written several books and is often quoted as a "source" by low-carb/anti-sugar people. No background at all to discuss the pluses and minuses of anything related to nutrition. Kim Kardashian or Snooki would have just as much credibility regarding nutrition. And their books would probably sell better.

Agree. Doesn't it suck? The dumbing down continues.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Oh I agree.

My challenge with the original post is the article debunks a lot of myths, but the "debunking" is done by an individual with no applicable background and no references to any science backing his statements.

Are they myths or not?
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My addiction is sour candies. I've cut down to almost none because I stopped in February and had some sours the other day and they tasted flat out nasty to me now.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Oh I agree.

Are they myths or not?

Like most agenda driven articles this has some truth, some BS and a lot of spin.

Such as?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Oh I agree.

Are they myths or not?

Like most agenda driven articles this has some truth, some BS and a lot of spin.

Such as?

Oh I agree.

Are they myths or not?

Such as?

I noticed a few. I'm sure you have good reading comprehension and critical thinking skills. Why don't you read the article again, think about it and post what you've identified as biases?

Because I'm not asking myself, I am asking you....
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    It could be just me, but apple pie doesn't really need sugar, or strawberry shortcake imo.

You don't need a lot, but most recipes I've enjoyed include some, and I think it's better with it than it would be without.

I'm not a strawberry shortcake fan (assuming good strawberries, I'd always rather just have strawberries and plain whipping cream or just add the strawberries to some pancakes or waffles, perhaps, or some vanilla ice cream, but I digress...). Here's a pretty standard recipe: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11823-strawberry-shortcake. The shortcake normally has sugar in it.

Obviously the apples and strawberries also have sugar, which is what actually relates to the point I was making.

tbh I didn't read your post carefully enough. I think I wanted to put here though that once I experienced leaving off most processed sugary foods and drinks I came to a place where desserts made with sugar, or veg with added sugar, disgusts my taste buds, I don't like the feeling it gives me in my mouth. I have a lemon tree out in the garden and I eat whole lemons like they were oranges. As I remarked in my post, taste has something to do with it.