WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    Michele ... I was thinking of you today when I received an invitation to the wedding of my friend's son. I commented on the invitation to my friend and she said she only learned of the details when she received hers too. The mother of the groom! Anyways, I went to a full sit-down dinner shower two weeks ago for this couple ... who already live together. Four full courses! And I walked away with a basket raffle prize as well as a shower gift bag with a bottle of wine and wine scented hand soap in it. Then today's invitation included the itinerary for the wedding weekend. Cocktails on Friday from 7-11, the wedding/reception on Saturday and a brunch Sunday morning. Quite the shindig!
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary to Machka, Re, Carol and one more whose anniversary was the 23. ( sorry didn't write your name down.
    Marcelyn- you are prepared and ready. Sending prayers for all of south Texas. We are SW of Ft Worth and aren't expecting anything except rain later on.
    HAve to go make up bed with clean sheets so DH can go to bed. He hurt his back Monday and got steroid shot, muscle relaxer and pain pills at doctor's office today.
    SueBDew in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,555 Member
    Options
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    becca I poured over every word---how very very wonderful to hear how grown up the experience is making him! He is a fine young man and you both should be so proud!

Beth i have a battery operated weed wacker/edger. Not as powerful as gas powered but so much easier. I think ours is a Black & Decker with rechargeable battery, very light weight and easy to handle. WORX brand is also good I've heard.

Marcelyn and other TX and LA folks stay safe and high above the surge. We're all thinking of you and sending strength.

Allie one step at a time, you've got this.

Phew, a very long day of driving and then got lost finding our hotel (extra 45 minutes in the car). I am wired from the frustration/stress/caffeine.

NYKAREN

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Hugs! NY Karen, thanks for reading! I poured over every word too!
    Becca
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Becca so happy for you and Owain! It must be really hard for a young person to leave the love and comfort of their home and go to a place where they no longer have the freedom they were used to.

Beth so happy to hear that your son is doing better!

Hugs to all in the area o the hurricane - stay safe!

Gloria in WA

• DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Good evening MFP friends!
    To all my Texan friends, stay safe! I have friends in Corpus Christi that evacuated. The grocery stores are empty and the roads packed. 130 mph winds. Cat4 hurricane. The Weather Channel said if you're not leaving, write your name and SS# on yourself with a Sharpie. Hopefully it's not bad as Katrina or Ike. My girlfriends dad who was 90 lived in Galveston Island during Ike. His house was flooded. He had to move up to Austin while the family replaced everything. Got lots of rain and people who needed shelter in Austin.
    Arkansas supposed to get 3-4" up here in Hot Springs. Of course we get 52" a year anyway.

Barbie nice picture if you and your group!

Becca pretty rocks. They are starting to be a thing here too. I couldn't read the letter. I'll have to go to my laptop to see it.

Machka, Re and Carol Happy Anniversary to you all and many more!!

I need to do better on my diet. I was doing good until we got to the Mexican restaurant. I need to eat at home. I do so much better. Boo hoo!!

Have a great weekend!
    Dana in Arkansas
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Night all - it's only 9:30 but it's been an exhausting 2 days and tomorrow is DGS#1's first football game of the season.

Gloria in WA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Becca, the letter was what you needed and more. You will read that so many times, it will be tattered. Better copy it just so you can preserve it. Maybe your son will need to read it some day. You raised quite the boy, or rather a man. How many kleenexes have you gone through?

The news tonight had a sattilite view of the hurricane. How awful. I pray for all of you in in the path or even in regions that will be receiving victims that need a loving arm. We have a couple from our church that are certified by the Southern Baptist Convention as part of the disaster relief team. They serve in different capacities, one is in preparing and serving meals and another in sawing down trees in tornados. They will be going down there. We have another man that just has a heart for serving and whenever there is a disaster, he is part of a team that goes anywhere. He came over and plunged out my commode when Charlie was in the hospital with his meningitis. It was so stuck I couldn't get it to budge. I was just glad I had amother bathroom in the house.

Well I was a good girl and picked up my prescription for the decreased dose of Ambien tonight. I don't know when I will be brave enough to try it. But it have it.

My grand daughter got her drivers permit today. Makes me feel real old! She has to have 60 to 90 hours of supervised driving with an adult. I don't know how they can govern that since there is n drivers Ed. My husband who is very protective of any female on the road pretty well insist that they don't allow her to drive on the highway by herself.mi told him that he has no say in that. But that's pretty much how he feels about me on the highway. I drove about 20 minutes in the interstate to get my haircut and he just knows I am going to do it. He drives me I the winter time.

Melody is finally learning to give back everything Mozart has done to her. I have felt so bad for her. I have never heard the kind of noises I have heard since getting Mozart. But now I am hearing a much smaller version of those howls commode from Mozart. Hopefully he will learn his lesson on what play is and isn't.

Well Evansville has another big weekend. We are having our annual Frog Follies. I think they are called street rods"?????? They are the old cars that have been fixed up, so,e have some crazy paint colors. I don't know the oldest cars they show but I know there are some old Model Ts. There is one very hot orange car that I see running around town. I a, pretty sure that color was not an option! When they come to town, they don't just park them at the 4H center and then drive around town in their regular cars. They love to be seen! One of the hotels by us is by a very serene looking lake and you will, drive by there in the evening after the 4H center closes for the day. The hoods will be up, lounge chairs by the lake and the guys fishing. Betweenness this annual affair and our hydroplane races, those are our big money makers for out of towers. But this year all of our hotel rooms were used for the eclipse.

Love you all. Allie, you can do this. Joyce, Indiana better close this since I don't know what Mozart will write. He is going crazy trying to get the screen,
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I just saw a news report on the Weather Channel about a hurricane hitting Texas. We have friend Cheri in College Station. I hope her home stays safe and dry. I don't know enough about Texas geography to know whether she is at risk. The map I looked at made me worry.

Katla
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Allie- Let Go and Let God. The Labour Day tradition sounds like fun. Thinking of you and knowing you will come out the other side that much stronger.

Okiewoman - You must seriously love Christmas. My favourite holiday but I can't even come a close second to you. Wow!

Karen in Virginia - I'll need to take a photo, load it on the computer and then onto here. Not very good or quick on any of those things. All I'm saying is don't hold your breath but I will give it a try.

Rye - Have you tried Black Cohosh?

Margaret - I stalled on my 35+ yr clear out. Made the silly mistake of reading some old court papers. I got stuck in emotions and felt myself drowning in bitterness. Took a step back to regroup. I'll be back at it in the next month.

Katla - 1776 days is an accomplishment and I think it is cool that it made you think of your country becoming a nation.

Becca - I cried when I read Owain's letter. You have raised a man to be proud of.

Dana - Eating out can be a mine field for some of us. I love to eat out but I know it is one of my many danger zones on this journey.

Gloria - Sorry to hear about your dental problem. I hope you are not in great pain. Have fun at the football game. What position does your DGS play?

Machka - thanks for sharing your lovely photos.

Still hoping that Day 5 after the shot starts to give some major relief. I guess I just wait and see.

Talked to DGS and asked how his date went. Dad dropped us at the fair, Mom made us drink water, we had dinner and I went home. I asked "Did you have fun?" Answer "yes" So far, so good. He really doesn't want to talk about it and we are all just so curious.

Went to the Bull-a-rama tonight. I was annoyed because Larry kept coming up with things that just had to be done before we could go. None of them needed doing tonight. It started at 7, we got there at 7:55. I thought I would see more in the 2nd go round but only 4 made it through. Oh well, I should be grateful that I saw any considering how little interest Larry has in anything rodeo. I was picking my favourite riders and bulls. He asks "How do you know so much about it?" He keeps forgetting that I grew up around rodeo. Our son competed on the bulls for 2 summers of his teenage life. (he had to stay with my brother). I have to say I enjoy it a lot more now that my kid isn't on top of one. The fireworks were awesome. Taber does a great job of Cornfest. Tomorrow Larry will be going to the car show but I have to work until 1.

Praying for everyone's safety in the way of this Hurricane.

-Sharon in Lethbridge ( swooning over the Boys from Brazil)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Penny-thank you so much for taking us on your trip..feels like we are right there with you