WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,007 Member
    Options
    Machka Happy Anniversary! and many more!

Machka & Michelle I get sick when I take a flu shot because I am allergic to thimerosal (the preservative). Fever/achey for 2-3 days. Maybe that's why Machka gets sick? Some people are allergic to eggs w/same reaction, as the vaccine is incubated on/in eggs.

Thanks!

Maybe that's it! I don't think I get the flu from the flu shot (that's not possible) but yes, I get fever/achey and very tired for 2-3 days.

I also don't deal well with eggs. I'm not allergic like some people are, and I can eat them, but if I have more than about 2 each month, I end up with horrible gall bladder pain. I like eggs and would eat them a lot more ... but they don't love me.

• Machka9
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    IremiaRe wrote: »
    Machka – I had to read it a few times, but, I did get the date thing on your anniversary. Lol. Mine is this Saturday – August 26th. It’s always on the 26th... as we were just married in one place on one day and we are both from the same country.

Happy Anniversary to you too! :)

I do the same weird thing with my birthday ... and then here in Australia my birthday falls on a long weekend, so I just celebrate for 3 or 4 days instead of just the one. :grin:

OK! That is also my anniversary! Happy anniversary ladies!

Happy Anniversary! :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,142 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Barbie you are so adorable <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,610 Member
    Options
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

Lanette, my little toes are the same as yours. I’m sure when I was young they must have been broken a few times. I laugh about them every time I get a pedicure. Poor little things are totally sideways.

Penny, so good to get caught up a bit. We sure did miss you.

Heather, the baked goods look yummy. Will the kids take them home?

NYKaren, your trip sounds like an adventure. Safe travels.

Okie, not only do you have lots of clothes stored but you are very organized about it. Very nice!

Cheri, a huge congrats on your new low weight. Great job. Keep it up. watching-my-weight-smiley-emoticon.gif

Terry, your embroidery is beautiful. No one noticed I was losing weight until I had lost 45 pounds. And it’s funny how even “fat” people will have to give suggestions on “diets” once they find out you are losing weight. I just used to smile and nod as I ignored them. lol

Beth, glad you made it home. Sorry about your DH’ legs and back. Hope for fast improvement. Good for you on recommitting to this journey. (((Hugs)))

Heather, I’m sure you are exhausted. I’m also sure that if you have gained a pound or two, it won’t be with you for long. I’m not saying your son shouldn’t have told you about the auto accident after your return, but there was no reason to tell you while you were on holiday. You know how mother’s worry. scared-smiley-face.gif Good for you on your newest language success. How many does that make now?

Katla, glad you made it home safely. I hope you like the new bar stools. I wonder how long they’ve been on your front porch?

Dorrie, that is some experience you had in the hotel. A good friend of mine fell at home last night and is bruised badly. She is 75. Also got a cut on her wrist that she doesn’t even know how that happened. I’ll have to tell her about your adventure. Wow. badly-wounded-smiley-emoticon.gif

Felicia, glad you are enjoying your job. It sounds like a successful day on the problem solving.

Toni, do whatever feels right to you. Both on the reunion and on the separation. You are stronger than you think and we are here to support you. (((Hugs)))

Pip, what was with that??? Not working out. What gives.

Penny, I love the story about your Christmas tree and thanks for the link.

Tere, glad you felt the interview went well. I’ll keep my fingers crossed. good-luck-smiley-emoticon.gif

Katla, have fun at your reunion event.

Dana, I really doubt the doctor would think you are nuts for putting the oil on your scalp. Trust me, they have seen much worse. Lol I hope it gets better soon.

Re, I’ll give you a Gold Star ,too. yellow-star-waves-smiley-emoticon.gif You are doing great.

Barbie, I like your new picture. I did a double-take thinking we had another new member. Great pic of you and the dancers, too.

NYKaren, thanks. Yes, getting off some of my meds was one of my goals when I started this journey. Getting off the diabetes medicine was my main goal and I was so excited when I did.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

About two hours ago DH started taking exception to everything I said. It was almost as if he was trying to pick a fight? After dinner he started watching the football game so I came upstairs to get out of the line of fire. Lol All you Texans and any others in the track of the hurricane, please stay safe. rainy-cloud-smiley-emoticon.gif Check in when you can so we will know you are okay.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,366 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a DVD where you use the barbell. The plan for tomorrow is to take the deep water class.

Lynette - the lemon squares are for us to send to Denise. What I'm making for the pool party are these "cups". Hope they come out. You fill a plastic cup with blue jello about 3/4 full. Harden that. Then put a shark candy (well, I'm going to use a Swedish fish). Then fill the cup with more blue jello. After that hardens, you put a gummy lifesaver with a teddy graham inside it and one of those paper umbrellas to "shade" it. Hope this turns out. I made the jello without the cold water (so it's really double the strength) because I one time used the blue jello in a swimming pool cake. The cake looked nice when the jello was firm, but as it sat out the jello got soft. So that's why I'm doubling the jello. Actually, you could probably use some unflavored gelatin instead of doubling the jello, but I wasn't sure how much of the unflavored gelatin I would need and I really don't have time to experiment. I started to get them done yesterday and froze one as my "sample". I had no idea if jello freezes or not. Just in case we need to cancel the pool party (I sure hope not), can I freeze these? Well, I did find out that jello can be frozen. Update: we're going to have the pool party. I'll just rely more heavily on the cohosts to help me with it. Like Nancie said she'd come over tomorrow, bring the ice, and help me with some of the heavy things like tables.

Penny - I always love reading about your life up there. It's just so interesting. As far as the wedding, if it were anyone other than my own daughter, I would certainly have said "s**** it" by now. I know that Jess feels that way about the shower.

langman - I never thought that VT would be expensive! Wonder why that is??? You did a great job posting your embroidery. How beautiful!

Okie - is that ALL the Christmas decorations you have? You should see ours. We must have at least a garage full. It's divided between the two garages so that we can get a vehicle in....lol You DO have a lot of clothes!

Cheri - woohoo on that loss!

Dorrie - what a story about how you fractured your leg/knee/whatever you want to call it. Wow!

Felicia - I feel the same way about quilting as you do about the x-stitch you did. I love most every other craft, but I just don't get anything out of quilting. I know for some people it is very realxing, but not for me. Good for you solving those problems!

Exercised, then volunteered at the Green Room then went to a birthday party for a lady who used to play mahjongg. She's a real sweetie. She turned 90. I tried to be good and had only a mouthful of the cake (was it good) and some ice cream. Then home to make lemon squares that I'll send to Denise when I send her her veil. She won't eat them, but Pete probably will. Then put the fish into the cups for the pool party and made some more jello. Unfortunately, I need MORE jello. Wish the blue was lighter. I probably could make it that way, but I had no idea how much of the unflavored gelatin I should use. Got dinner ready, now here.

Lenora - have a great trip!

Jess called earlier. She's so excited that she's going to use the timed cooking feature on her IP, the one where you put in the time to have it start cooking. So glad she likes it so much.

Annie - welcome! Don't worry, we'll keep you on track. If not....the boot will be coming your way!

Dana - sympathies on your pain. What a bummer

Sue in Wa - was it 2 years ago you moved? I can't believe it!

Re - happy anniversary

Cut up the lemon bars for Pete, put them in the tin to mail and sealed the tin. Good. Out of sight, out of mind....

Karen in VA - I'm allergic to thimerosal, too. I remember the one and only time I had it, my eyes were red as can be and watery. Since then, I haven't had it. Yet, I haven't had a reaction to the flu vaccine in the last few years. It was just that first time, that is the only time (knock wood) that I had a reaction.

Mary - anniversary wishes to you, too.

Denise called. She still needs to pick out the first reading for the wedding. She said that she would probably let the priest pick it out. You mean Maria doesn't have a reading she'd like????? Sorry...that was mean of me....no, it was honest.

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Regarding lotto ... if I ever actually had a big win (biggest so far was about $30! Woohoo!) ...
    We'd pop everything into storage again, and travel the world for a year or two or five. :grin:
    Might buy a house in Canada and a house here in Australia to use as bases from which to travel.
    Would plan to spend 6 months or a year in the Royan area of France to attend the language school and just enjoy that part of France ... love it there! :)

Regarding this weekend ... it's going to be a much needed rest weekend for us. Sleep!!
    No monstrous bicycle rides or hikes!! We will try to get out for something short, depending on how we feel and what the weather is doing. There's supposed to be another wintery cold front move through and I have no desire to cycle or walk in a cold rain with the way my sinuses feel.
    My husband has a fruit grafting course Saturday morning and might do some bicycle maintenance or more study on the fruit industry (that's what he does), and I will study for my database test on Monday ... cramming SQL and PLSQL into my head. But most of that can be done from the comfort of the interior of our house, to classical music, with large cups of tea. :)

Regarding the hurricane ... my brother and his family live directly in its path. They've been watching it for several days now, but I think it is supposed to make landfall soon.

Machka in Oz ... Brother in US
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,366 Member
    Options
    I have two DVD's that I downloaded that I would give away to anyone.

One is Jeanette Jenkins 21 Day Total Body Circuit and the other is Kathy Smith Timesaver Lift Weights to Lose Weight.

If you'd like them, please PM me with your address. I'm not looking for anything at all, not even the postage. They didn't cost me anything, and I certainly wouldn't charge anyone anything.

Here's to getting fitter!

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,070 Member
    Options
    Mary and Machka Happy Anniversary!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cheri: I wish your daughter good luck with her first home purchase. Congrats to you for raising a successful daughter. :flowerforyou:

Tere: It looks like you may get more than one job offer. I hope that you find a place where you are able to shine. :smiley:

Barbie: You look wonderful in red. What a great group of women! No wonder you enjoy dancing so much. You are surrounded with good company. :star:

DJ: I'm not sure how long the barstools were at my front door, but several days is a likely guess. :flowerforyou:

Tomorrow is the first day of he HS reunion, and the only day I plan to attend. I wonder whether anyone I know will be at the tavern, other than DH. I hope so. I have already found my old best friend on my own and am pleased to be able to contact her and meet for an occasional meal. That is more than I expected and it makes me happy.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

There, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of a job is this? Good luck with what you want. Sounds like you may gav several choices.

I never went to any high school reunions. Never got an invite. Didn get an invite for college either. I think I may join the alumni though. They will respect the fac that I did not graduate with my class cueca use I flunked a class. My husband graduated With his best friend. Charlie would have never gone to his except for the fact that there was KRoake. I think we had the most fun at his 50th.nthey really love the Karoake and had hired a proffesional to run it. It is surprising for me to see some of my old friends at his reunion. They were all from the hospital, just never knew they went to school with him. But we had a good time. Plus his best vfriends wife is a really great friend of mine.

I did call my doctors office for a decrease dose of Ambien. It's only a 5 mg dose but we shall see. But she did say if I can get off just the Ambien, there is no pain contract if I am just getting a prescription for 50/month. So I am looking forward to that. I do not like having to pee in a bottle to see if I hav illicit drags in my system.

I am hearing bad things coming up for Hurricane Harvey. My Dad's middle bane was Harvey and I don't like that name. You all be safe. I heard here was a campground in Tennessee that would take anyone there for free if you go hav a camper.

Looks like it is the time for wedding anniversaries coming up. Ours is Sept 2nd, 45 years. I won't say wedded bliss. I will say 45 years of compromise because you know you took those wedding vows.mwe have both had our share of taking and giving in the 'for better or for worse'. Maybe that makes us love each other more because we know each other's health is precious to us since we have seen it at its worse.

Do cats cover their waste so that other animals can't find them and hunt them down? Mozart was popping tonight as I was getting ready to clean the littler box. If we are in the kitchen, he always has to go pee. So I am standing there with scoop in my hand ready to clean it and he is pawing the poop all offer it, going over to smell it, pawing some more litter on it, smell again and repeat until he was satisfied. He and auite a mountain of litter over just one litty bitty poop. Then I took it all away and he always takes the opportunity to be the first ome to squirt out a little bit of urine after I clean it. Silly cat.

Joyce, Imdiana in nice weather.

• Machka9
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    0u2b99zj4896.jpg

Here is the group that danced at the County Fair. I am wearing red.

Looking good!

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Barbie I thought you had red dye in the front of your hair until I saw the picture of all of you! You look like a fun group of women!

So much going on with everyone and so many decisions being made. I wish you all the best.

Spent 5 hours preparing the house for the exterminators and then got a call at 5:45PM that they were stuck in traffic and it would probably be another hour before they could get here. I already had the dogs and birds out of the house and we have to stay out for an hour after they spray. So now they are coming tomorrow. All the beds are stripped so now I have to make them and strip them again tomorrow. I am exhausted and going to bed early.pulling-hair-out.gif

Gloria in WA
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Allie - Keep standing your ground. Why would you care if Tom's lawyer likes yours? He does know they are on opposing sides, right?
    I'm sorry about the condo. Something good will come your way.

Heather - Sounds like an amazing time with the Grands. The cookies look delicious!

Kate - I'm glad everything is fine with your eyes.

Toni- I vote go to your 50th High School Reunion. Why not? Write down whatever seems to resonate with you. Best of luck with all the rest of it. My stomach would feel funny also.

Pip - What is going on? You at the gym and not working out? That is News!

Last few days have not gone quite as I would have liked. I am still waiting on the better part of the "It could get worse before it gets better". Maybe tomorrow. I work early and then we will see what the day brings.

Yesterday was the day of beautification. I may need a few more. I got my hair cut considerably shorter. Next time we are going to try some extensions to make it look thicker over my bald spot. I'll have that for "The Wedding". I got colour changing gel nails. They change with temperature. The pedicure was pure heaven. Now for a massage before I go on the next vacation.

Jheri is out at Whoop Up Days but because of the deal her friend agreed to the girls are stuck in a dead zone. They were told they were going to be on Festival Street which would have been perfect. Oh well, they have had other dealings with the woman in charge that they weren't happy with. I say cut the losses and carry on. At least they did get interviewed a couple of times. Their work is up on 2 of the radio station's web sites and they are being featured on all kinds of social media. Keira came over for a few hours last night and shared supper with us. She was all done up from the fair, face paint, air brush tattoo and balloon space buns. What a cutie.
    She informed us she was a "Wild fairy as in Nature instead of you know...Just Wild because that wouldn't be a good thing" We were then treated to some dance performances with her wand. That little princess makes my heart happy.

I had to shuttle "Her" to an interview so Harmony and I had time to catch up in the truck. Oh MY. She told me lots of interesting things. I asked how her visit with her other grandparents was. She asks " You mean Kim's parents?" Yes, honey, those are your other grandparents. I would feel sorry for them but they have showed next to none interest in her since she was born. I am glad we have had the opportunity to bond. She wants to come help with my plants and make a good salad, do a puzzle, colour and read a story.

My sister wanted me to go there for coffee. Funny thing that I spent more time visiting with my DBIL. Same as always.

Supper tonight was a Spring Salad, roast chicken, perogies and Taber corn. Followed by watermelon and then the ever tempting fudgsicle. It was delicious if not the healthiest. Larry loved it and then we took Chico for a walk around the block.

Missed watching my brother in the Taber parade. I am hoping we go down to the Bull-a-rama tomorrow night.
    I know I will see quite a few people that I know and I do love watching the riders.

Welcome to all the newcomers. Prayers for those in pain and those that are in the path of the storm.

Sharon in Lethbridge where it cooled down to 28 degrees Celsius today.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Lenora-- The boy is my son shown as my picture.
    Dorrie--I love your closing line about Plan A and the other letters. Wish I had known it years ago!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi all!

Dorrie - So sorry about the way you damaged your knee, but the story is priceless! I had to share the irony of it all with my DH. He did chuckle a little. :D

Tere - You must be some catch! Well done. <3

DJ - Hope your DH got over his grumps. :(<3 I can understand about my son not wanting to spoil my holiday, but this was with five days to go. :/ He has always kept seriously bad news from me and it's always a shock when I find out. Mind you, there are sooooooooooooo many things he doesn't know about me!!! I really have got to have a discussion with both my son's before I publish the first instalment of my memoir. :noway:
    I have good French, goodish Spanish, and now a quite a bit of German. I feel as if I have forgotten all the Norwegian I learnt, but the Swedish I am now learning feels familiar. My Italian is touristic, from phrase books. I'm enjoying the Swedish and love the accent. :laugh: It is also fun to be back amongst the elks, moose, bears, turtles, cooks and knives of the Norwegian. Spiders, trees and mirrors featured a lot in the early German lessons.
    For anyone who has no idea what I am talking about, I am learning Swedish through the Duolingo app, which is free. Many languages on the app and very easy to do. I learnt French at school and Spanish at evening classes, though brushed up through Duolingo.
    On our next cruise we have one stop in Norway, three in Sweden, one in Swedish speaking Åland, which belongs to Finland, and one in Germany.

Katla - Very envious you got to see a total eclipse. B) I have seen several partials, but no total.
    Max was crying one night before he went to sleep because he was reading an astronomy book which mentioned the end of the solar system. It had a picture of an explosion. I had to reassure him that it was not going to happen any time soon! ! !

I had a revelation this morning when I was talking to my DH about my reaction at the Elvis concert. It occurred to me that I was screaming at my mother, not my father. What I wanted from DH was to be comforted. He was perplexed at my tears and didn't know how to do that. That made me angry and set me off. I wanted comfort and help from my mother and never got it, she only compounded the abuse. I have always found my rage triggered far more by mother reactions than father ones.
    In married life I am the one who always has to fight for our rights under pressure, (I am the battler), but sometimes I just want someone (DH) to take that pressure off me. I want to be taken care of. That rarely happens :o:# . He is good though at the considered response. <3 Letter writing, delicate negotiations etc. Things I would lose my temper over.

Missing the grandkids. Phantom little voices fill the empty rooms............

Good to be back in the routine though. Did our exercises this morning. :D:D:D

Going to make plum jam this afternoon. We have tons of beautiful Victoria plums from our tree, so will cook some, freeze some and make jam with some.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    A memory came up on Facebook ... my husband and I have lived in our house for 3 years today. That's the longest we have lived anywhere!

My husband just said, "No wonder we're getting edgy to move." :grin:

We're a pair of nomads. :)

Meanwhile, we had another nice walk to the beach and back. It's dark when we go ... daylight hours haven't extended to light up the evenings yet. But I like it whether it is daylight or dark.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    did I put in yesterdays stats?;
    1st time ever, rode bike to gym and didn't work out :0) !

bike ride hm 2 gym - 12.47min, 145mhr, 13.8amph. 2.9mi = 107c
    apple watch- 99c
    bike ride gym to sumn sta- 1hr 18min, 14sec, 145mhr, 10.8amph, 14mi = 610c
    apple watch- 536c
    jog sta 2 wk- 4.42min, 154mhr, 9.07min mi, .5mi = 58c
    apple watch- 59c
    jogwk 2 sta- 5min, 9.43min mi, 151mhr, .5mi= 64c
    apple watch- 59c
    walk bike dome 2 hm up Mst, another flat- 42.17min, 3.5ap, 143mhr, 2.4mi = 302c
    apple watch- 137c wrong!

total cal 1141